U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 06:16 PM

29,027 posts, read 44,386,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoBankerGirl View Post
Did anyone see that Reese Witherspoon/Matthew Broderick movie, "Election"? Reese plays a high school student that has an affair with a teacher. The movie made it look like she seduced him and the teacher was the victim.
No, it really doesn't. I love that movie, so I've seen it many times... and he CLEARLY seduces her in the beginning (that creepy scene where he says something like "you're special - and sexy; not like the other girls."). She may have manipulated the other teacher, while the one she had an affair with only made himself seem like a "victim." It may have later played into her big plan, but I really don't think she initiated that on purpose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2018, 11:29 AM

8,560 posts, read 2,131,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
No, it really doesn't. I love that movie, so I've seen it many times... and he CLEARLY seduces her in the beginning (that creepy scene where he says something like "you're special - and sexy; not like the other girls."). She may have manipulated the other teacher, while the one she had an affair with only made himself seem like a "victim." It may have later played into her big plan, but I really don't think she initiated that on purpose.
The couple incidents in real life that I personally knew about, it was the underage females who seduced and initiated a relationship with adult men in an authority position. They used them until they got what they wanted. Looking back now, decades later, if these girls parents had known what kind of people their daughters were at this age, I really doubt they would have believed it.

I have a feeling this is what happens more so than the adult man seducing the underage female

Im not really sure I would have called this 'creepy' either, while they were underage, they were around 16-17, and did not look their ages, so its not like a 30 yr old man finding 10-12 yr old attractive (now that IS creepy), these girls looked every bit of early 20s.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:05 AM

13,204 posts, read 21,583,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's a little different, though, because it's not about someone trying to seduce or being seduced by a child but a story about a straight-up rapist serial killer of little girls.

Stanley Tucci said that at the end of a day's filming, he had to go home and take a shower and have a stiff drink to get the creepiness of the character out of him.
Pedophilia is an awful, disgusting practice. The topic said pedophilia, not child seduction. I think it's disgusting that directors and producers (unsurprisingly) try to portray child seduction as if it is a natural and wholesome thing. It is predatory and unacceptable is a decent society.

It's no wonder that Tucci was unsettled playing this character. James Mason should have felt similarly playing an older man corrupting a young girl. The difference is the girl is murdered in TLB. Children who are subjected to pedophilia and survive experience other deleterious consequences.

Old Today, 12:44 PM

3,985 posts, read 1,272,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoBankerGirl View Post
Did anyone see that Reese Witherspoon/Matthew Broderick movie, "Election"? Reese plays a high school student that has an affair with a teacher. The movie made it look like she seduced him and the teacher was the victim.
I just saw the movie after reading this thread, which got me interested. I would say that she did seduce the teacher intentionally, cause she wanted to get him in trouble intentionally, but the teacher was an idiot for going for it. It was a good movie though, and I didn't think the filmmakers were trying to be exploitative about it though.

Old Today, 02:08 PM

719 posts, read 787,967 times
There was a movie starring Carol Baker, Karl malden and Eli Wallach called Baby Doll. Now Malden is married to a girl, Baker wh0 I guess is supposed to be about 16 to 20.
The most famous pedo movie that i can think of is 'M'', a german movie made in the early 1930s,starring Peter Lorre. I think Fritz Lang was the director. It was about a man who was a serial killer of children. The ploice blamed the underworld, the professional criminals for the crime. The criminals, decided to do some detective work of their own. They have someone trail Lorre and brush up against him. That person marks the back of his overcoat with an M. Later he is caputred and the criminals take him to this cellar and have a trial. Somehow the police find out and grab lorre during their raid.Last scene is of peter standing in the dock in court. The director hired actual german underworld figures for the film, and the character was if I recall based off Peter Kurten, the Monster of Dusseldorf.
This was before Peter Lorre came to America for films.
Also in the late 70s saw a movie with Gert Forbes (gOLDFINGER) where he played a pedio but I don't think he killed any children. IMDB may have the name of the film.

Old Today, 02:14 PM

3,985 posts, read 1,272,180 times
M was such a great movie

Old Today, 07:26 PM

2,976 posts, read 797,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
You have to admit with ALL these movies being made, it really does indicate there is a type of desensitization campaign underway. I think its happening right under our noses and in such a way, that people are not able to recognize whats taking place.

If you went back to the 70s or 80s and asked people if they ever thought interracial or homosexual relationships would ever be viewed in a non-negative or even positive way, many people would have said NEVER, but here we are in the 2010s.
I've been having this feeling that there seems to be some kind of push for incest. It first started in a comedic way with Back to the Future and 17 Again, but then it became more serious with Wolf on Wall Street and Game of Thrones.

Old Today, 08:11 PM

4,327 posts, read 3,584,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VexedAndSolitary View Post
I'm a history (and Robin Hood) nut and I like historical accuracy in film; I think there are ways to portray something like that without it seeming creepy when it's historically accurate as in your example.

Pretty Baby, Leon The Professional are the two that come to mind for me that made me a tad nauseous and were so blatantly meant to titillate pedo freaks I wonder how they got away with it. Another with Dakota Fanning, I forget the title as I only watched a bit of it and was so disgusted I stopped watching.

I think one can discern between films that sexualize children for the purpose of sexualizing them versus ones that don't have that intent.
Yes, I agree with this.

I recall this movie in particular, however I don't recall that there were any onscreen displays of pedophilia specifically. I like the movie in that it tells an interesting story.

Sleepers (1996)

As boys growing up in Hell's kitchen Tommy, John, Lorenzo and Michael, were raised in a harsh world despite the moral guidance of the streetwise Father Bobby. Carefree but always in trouble, one prank goes too far and sees a passer-by killed and the boys sent away for 18 months to a young offenders home. Once there they are subjected to cruel and persistent sexual abuse and beatings from the guards, led by Sean Noakes.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117665/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or