U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 05:41 PM

588 posts, read 54,905 times

Advertisements

In Taxi Driver, Jodie Foster was 12 when she played a teenage prostitute (Iris). Also, Lolita has already been mentioned, but that is an excellent movie about a middle aged college professor fixated on a teenage girl. James Mason is a terrific actor in this. Also Peter Sellers is superb, and is very adept at playing quirky characters.

Last edited by SullyinOhio; 06-04-2018 at 05:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 05:52 PM

2,979 posts, read 973,799 times
I haven't seen Lolita but probably should since it's a beloved classic. Taxi Driver is a much better movie than Leon though, as the girl was not sexualized in that way, and it had a deeper story with deeper themes, to tell.

Old 06-04-2018, 05:57 PM

1,928 posts, read 738,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I haven't seen Lolita but probably should since it's a beloved classic. Taxi Driver is a much better movie than Leon though, as the girl was not sexualized in that way, and it had a deeper story with deeper themes, to tell.
Totally agree and is an excellent film in all ways. Perfect example of portrayal of kid without titillation, even though she was a hooker.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1957 View Post
I'm a history (and Robin Hood) nut and I like historical accuracy in film; I think there are ways to portray something like that without it seeming creepy when it's historically accurate as in your example.

Pretty Baby, Leon The Professional are the two that come to mind for me that made me a tad nauseous and were so blatantly meant to titillate pedo freaks I wonder how they got away with it. Another with Dakota Fanning, I forget the title as I only watched a bit of it and was so disgusted I stopped watching.

I think one can discern between films that sexualize children for the purpose of sexualizing them versus ones that don't have that intent.
But Hollywood is afraid to go there, with stories set in the middle ages. where adult men being with very young women was more common. For example, in Game of Thrones, all of the female characters look to be of adult age, and none look to be around 12-15 at all.

I watched the movie The New World with my sister which shows a 13 year old native American girl (Pocahantas), get married to John Rolfe, who was 29 if I remember correct. And she was in love with 26 year old John Smith as well, who was in love with her. I didn't mind this, since it was based on a true story, but my sister was really bothered by this and hated the movie because of it.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
But Hollywood is afraid to go there, with stories set in the middle ages. where adult men being with very young women was more common. For example, in Game of Thrones, all of the female characters look to be of adult age, and none look to be around 12-15 at all.

I watched the movie The New World with my sister which shows a 13 year old native American girl (Pocahantas), get married to John Rolfe, who was 29 if I remember correct. And she was in love with 26 year old John Smith as well, who was in love with her. I didn't mind this, since it was based on a true story, but my sister was really bothered by this and hated the movie because of it.
Eh, you sister's probably not a history nut. I like accurate portrayals and they can easily be done without making the young girl appear sexy as cited above.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:11 PM

No that's just it, my sister is a history nut, so I asked her why she is bothered by that, if she is a history nut, and her response was that just because that's the way it happened in real life, does not mean it should happen in that way in a movie.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
No that's just it, my sister is a history nut, so I asked her why she is bothered by that, if she is a history nut, and her response was that just because that's the way it happened in real life, does not mean it should happen in that way in a movie.
Euh. Well obviously I strongly disagree with your sister. She's creeped out by the accuracy of it whereas I only get creeped out when the filmmaker's obviously trying to turn creeps on via his portrayal.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:23 PM

I agree strongly disagree with my sister as well. Perhaps Leon was portrayed that way, I don't remember, cause when I saw it in high school, I found it funny in a dark comedy sort of way. Like when Matilda talks to the hotel manager and manager thinks that Leon is Matilda's dad, and Matilda says "He's not my father, he's my lover"; she creeped out the manager intentionally, and the way she said and then left, I was laughing my butt off, but was I suppose to be, and is this what the director intended?

Old 06-04-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
I agree strongly disagree with my sister as well. Perhaps Leon was portrayed that way, I don't remember, cause when I saw it in high school, I found it funny in a dark comedy sort of way. Like when Matilda talks to the hotel manager and manager thinks that Leon is Matilda's dad, and Matilda says "He's not my father, he's my lover"; she creeped out the manager intentionally, and the way she said and then left, I was laughing my butt off, but was I suppose to be, and is this what the director intended?
LMAO no I am certain this was not what the director intended

And you were a high school kid after all so prob not yet aware of nuance in film though that film is hardly subtle. Watch again as an adult and I warrant you'll concur.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:47 PM

Well I thought the director was going for dark comedy, especially with the musical choices, as when she is trying to act all seductive the music sounds like a piece of music you would hear on something like Desperate Housewives or something like that. So I thought they were being all tongue n' cheek about it, from what I remember.

Roger Ebert even said the movie was a farce in his review, so I thought dark comedy was intentional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or