U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 09:11 PM

2,399 posts, read 2,784,613 times

Advertisements

Remember the ending to Chinatown, a 1974 movie directed by Roman Polanski, starring Jack Nicholson? The creepy old grandfather clutches his long lost grand daughter in his arms, and makes off with her. He molested his daughter in years past, and she had a daughter and hid her away so he couldn't molest her too, but then he found out and Jack Nicholson was not able to expose him, and save her. That movie was pretty intense, what a sad ending.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 07:07 AM

7,329 posts, read 9,786,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You couldn't see it in his face?

I had instant revulsion to that guy from day one. Creeped me out and gave me very violent negative feelings.

As this keeps happening more, I have really learned to trust my gut.
OMG, I did too. I used to say that to my husband. Ditto w/ Charlie Rose, Matt Lauer & Bill Cosby (could never understand how he got so famous).

Old 06-13-2018, 10:54 PM

2,198 posts, read 748,752 times
One movie I thought of was For Your Eyes Only, where one of the Bond girls, who is like 15, shoves Bond up against the wall and kisses him and Bond has to reject her.

Like The Professional, I found this kind of stuff to be funny back when I first saw it, around high school, but now it's just awkward and weird. I am not offended by it at all, but it didn't work for the movie, and that subplot shouldn't have been there in my opinion. Fans say it was put it in to show Bond's advancing age, but I think there are other ways they could have shown it. The main Bond girl is like 25, and Bond is like 53, so even that can be addressed in the movie to show an advancing age, but the filmmakers felt they had to have a teenager show this.

Old 06-14-2018, 02:44 AM

163 posts, read 261,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1957 View Post
There was another, I think it may've been Dakota Fanning again, or a kid that looked like her, the main guy was a black actor, hired as her bodyguard I think?

I stopped watching after a scene wherein she said "do you have a girlfriend?". She was maybe...7 or 8. Children that age don't ask adult males they JUST MET (they'd been recently introduced) that q. Her tone/ facial expression when saying it was also ugh and seemed so unrealistic for a child for that age.

EDIT: film was "Man On Fire".
You really need to watch Man on Fire all the way through. It doesn't have any pedophilia a scenes or tones. It is just her asking questions to learn who her new bodyguard is. It is honestly an amazing movie

Old 06-14-2018, 12:23 PM

4,178 posts, read 1,024,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
One movie I thought of was For Your Eyes Only, where one of the Bond girls, who is like 15, shoves Bond up against the wall and kisses him and Bond has to reject her.

Like The Professional, I found this kind of stuff to be funny back when I first saw it, around high school, but now it's just awkward and weird. I am not offended by it at all, but it didn't work for the movie, and that subplot shouldn't have been there in my opinion. Fans say it was put it in to show Bond's advancing age, but I think there are other ways they could have shown it. The main Bond girl is like 25, and Bond is like 53, so even that can be addressed in the movie to show an advancing age, but the filmmakers felt they had to have a teenager show this.
Yeah, that was my point in this thread, its surprising how often older movies depicted this kind of thing (and not usually in a negative way either).

Someone else mentioned 'Firestarter', I had forgotten all about that (that girl was like 11-12!!!)

Theres a 2016 or 2017 movie, but i cant think of the name of it, its a comedy, it was in the theaters and was produced by one of the big studios, about 2 high school teachers who end up fighting, ( I think Ice Cube is is one of the teachers if that rings any bells?), they joke about a male teacher who sleeps with female students a few times, its done in a joking manner.

I really think there was/is some degree of desensitization going on, its in too many movies and tv shows to be a coincidence.

Old 06-14-2018, 01:10 PM

501 posts, read 697,906 times
Did anyone see that Reese Witherspoon/Matthew Broderick movie, "Election"? Reese plays a high school student that has an affair with a teacher. The movie made it look like she seduced him and the teacher was the victim.

Old 06-16-2018, 03:26 AM

554 posts, read 274,511 times
Surprised no one has mentioned “Romeo and Juliet,” which has been filmed many times. In Shakespeare’s play, she’s listed as being 13. Though the actresses used in the film look quite a bit older.

Old 06-16-2018, 09:49 AM

19,955 posts, read 31,835,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
Remember the ending to Chinatown, a 1974 movie directed by Roman Polanski, starring Jack Nicholson? The creepy old grandfather clutches his long lost grand daughter in his arms, and makes off with her. He molested his daughter in years past, and she had a daughter and hid her away so he couldn't molest her too, but then he found out and Jack Nicholson was not able to expose him, and save her. That movie was pretty intense, what a sad ending.
That movie still haunts me still. "She's my sister, (SLAP) she's my daughter..."
Yeah, his daughter was his grandaughter as well. She turns up again in the sequel The Two Jakes."

Old 06-16-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
Surprised no one has mentioned “Romeo and Juliet,” which has been filmed many times. In Shakespeare’s play, she’s listed as being 13. Though the actresses used in the film look quite a bit older.
Romeo was the same age.

Old 06-16-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoBankerGirl View Post
Did anyone see that Reese Witherspoon/Matthew Broderick movie, "Election"? Reese plays a high school student that has an affair with a teacher. The movie made it look like she seduced him and the teacher was the victim.
There are other movies out there where the underage girl (or boy) was the seducer.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106627/

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105156/?ref_=nv_sr_1

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037913/?ref_=nv_sr_2

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093253...nm_flmg_act_63

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067445/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Creepiest for me was the relationship between Hans and his 'constant companion', young Peter in Hans Christian Andersen. Creepy because it was all subtext: Hans' near-obsession for children, Peter's manic jealousy over the ballet dancer, the joyful reconciliation...

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044685/?ref_=nv_sr_2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or