U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 08:43 AM

18,895 posts, read 8,873,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Yeah, Ive not seen any movie or tv show that tries to make light of real pedophilia (preteen), what we are seeing is an attempt to normalize or make attraction to teen aged an orientation (Ephebophilia).

I think majority of people could eventually tolerate some degree of Ephebophilia, but I doubt true pedophilia will ever be viewed normal or acceptable, no matter how much conditioning they are subjected to!
I don't necessarily agree that there is an attempt to normalize this. Movies today try to present a representation of real life...albeit fictionalized. And, as we often see in the news, this is a real thing that actually happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2018, 01:09 PM

2,969 posts, read 970,099 times
So when it comes to movies like Manhattan, when Woody Allen's character had an affair with a 16 year old girl, was the age of consent in NY 16 back or lower back then, which is why audiences didn't have a problem with this and accepted it in a "Oh Woody, you crazy guy", sort of way?

Old 06-26-2018, 04:02 AM

11,624 posts, read 5,465,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1957 View Post
She was portrayed in a sexualized manner, throughout. I thought he was struggling with being into it rather than NOT into it at all; her flirting with him and the dancing in black bra scene was just ugh.

Had the filmmakers wanted to portray an unrequited kiddie crush type thing I doubt they'd have shot/posed her as they did throughout and closeups of her face etc. Same with Pretty Baby. How the film is shot, camera angles, how the girl is posed not the plot itself are what I mean. Very obvious the girls are being presented provocatively.
Granted it's been a long time since I saw the movie, but my remembrance is that she is a normal girl in the sense of exploring herself as a sexual being. I don't remember her trying to actually seduce him? And if she did it was sort of like a misguided attempt, she essentially wanted to be his protege. 'Teach me how to be like you'. Anyway, I guess I am in the minority here. I loved that movie.

Old 06-26-2018, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Like when Matilda talks to the hotel manager and manager thinks that Leon is Matilda's dad, and Matilda says "He's not my father, he's my lover"; she creeped out the manager intentionally, and the way she said and then left, I was laughing my butt off, but was I suppose to be, and is this what the director intended?
I think so. I laughed too. As you said, she was doing it on purpose.

ETA: LOL watching again. The thunder in the background when she says this. Like a femme fatale, which ultimately, she is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUKfKY_W2bE

Last edited by jencam; 06-26-2018 at 04:17 AM..

Old 06-26-2018, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson15 View Post
You really need to watch Man on Fire all the way through. It doesn't have any pedophilia a scenes or tones. It is just her asking questions to learn who her new bodyguard is. It is honestly an amazing movie
+ 1 million. Have watched that many many times. She wasn't sexualized at all. She brings him back from being dead inside. A+ movie, even for me not being a fan of the gore during his revenge tour, somehow the way they did it I was like 'well, that is what you get, you piece of garbage'.

Spoiler
And then he trades his life for hers. Sob. 'Creasy!' Her cries fill my heart

Old 06-29-2018, 07:14 AM

6,209 posts, read 1,505,357 times
I watched the new 'Gotti' movie yesterday with John travolta playing the elder Gotti, it was pretty good movie, but one part where Gottis oldest son first meets his GF, in his mid 20s at this time, who he later marries, he asks her to go get a drink with him and she says "John, Im 16", he then asks her to go get a soda with him, its subtle, but pretty direct too imo!

I watched 'Firestarter' over the weekend, depiction of pedo in this movie was anything but subtle!

Old 06-29-2018, 04:36 PM

2,969 posts, read 970,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I think so. I laughed too. As you said, she was doing it on purpose.

ETA: LOL watching again. The thunder in the background when she says this. Like a femme fatale, which ultimately, she is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUKfKY_W2bE
Yeah I think it was played for laughs in that scene, but some scenes are just really awkward and eye brow raisers such as when she imitates Marilyn Monroe, singing Happy Birthday. I don't know if I would go as so far as to say the content is controversial or offensive, just awkward.

I hear that Ephebophilia is recognized as more accepting in France though, and since Leon was written and directed by a French filmmaker, perhaps this type of movie would be less awkwardly received in France than America?

Old 06-29-2018, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Yeah I think it was played for laughs in that scene, but some scenes are just really awkward and eye brow raisers such as when she imitates Marilyn Monroe, singing Happy Birthday. I don't know if I would go as so far as to say the content is controversial or offensive, just awkward.

I hear that Ephebophilia is recognized as more accepting in France though, and since Leon was written and directed by a French filmmaker, perhaps this type of movie would be less awkwardly received in France than America?
IDK, I read that in America they cut a controversial scene. I guess I am out of step because I never saw the movie as controversial. I really loved it. Didn't read anything about it until this thread. I read they made him 'slow' on purpose so he would not be a threat to her physically. And 'emotionally stunted'.

I see him as like a reluctant father figure - the way he views her, anyway, and he is no pedo for her being how she is, which I accepted readily as a product of her environment and her situation.

The Villain was fun. 'Bring me everyone!' I read him shouting it the way he did was like a gag in one take, but they kept that take over the times he just said it normally.

And then he does love her like a daughter and sacrifices for her, provides for her future, happy ending.

He really had nothing until she came into his life. No purpose. No meaning. A simple man doing the evil will of his boss w/o question, collecting the money he had no plans for (or if he did have plans for it, I don't remember them).

Old 06-29-2018, 09:07 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlpan5b39DA

Old 06-30-2018, 01:52 PM

25,409 posts, read 14,500,015 times
Quote:
One movie I thought of was For Your Eyes Only, where one of the Bond girls, who is like 15, shoves Bond up against the wall and kisses him and Bond has to reject her.

Like The Professional, I found this kind of stuff to be funny back when I first saw it, around high school, but now it's just awkward and weird. I am not offended by it at all, but it didn't work for the movie, and that subplot shouldn't have been there in my opinion. Fans say it was put it in to show Bond's advancing age, but I think there are other ways they could have shown it. The main Bond girl is like 25, and Bond is like 53, so even that can be addressed in the movie to show an advancing age, but the filmmakers felt they had to have a teenager show this.
I believe that happens with many things as we age and get older. Somethings were funny but then either by awakening to an evil or we just getting older, we find it distasteful years later or at the very least wonder why we liked it in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or