U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 08:52 PM

729 posts, read 332,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
The only gore in PSYCHO is some chocolate syrup running down the tub drain.

INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS has some disturbing images --- the man's face on the dog's body comes to mind --- but hardly what I would call gore.

SILENCE OF THE LAMBS has an autopsy scene, but hardly what I would call gory. The scene where Lecter escapes is a bit bloody, but hardly what I would call gore.

HALLOWEEN has no blood at all. None.

TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE definitely has some disturbing scenes, but hardly any blood at all. In fact, the sound affects are actually more visceral than the images. Even the famed meat hook scene shows very little. It's all implied.
I’ve seen “Psycho” and consider both the shower scene and the stabbing of the investigator to be gory.

The first “Body Snatchers” isn’t gory, but there’s one scene in the second one where the Donald Sutherland character takes an axe to the “people” growing out of the pods, which I found gory.

I’ve purposely avoided the other three films on descriptions from people who have seen them. For starters, I’m not keen to see an autopsy scene, thanks. YMMV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2018, 08:17 AM

15,142 posts, read 19,784,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
I’ve seen “Psycho” and consider both the shower scene and the stabbing of the investigator to be gory.
Really? That surprises me. Both scenes show very little. The most disturbing thing of the shower scene are the sound effects, which I admit are wince-inducing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
The first “Body Snatchers” isn’t gory, but there’s one scene in the second one where the Donald Sutherland character takes an axe to the “people” growing out of the pods, which I found gory.
Yup. You're right. I had forgotten about that. It's been too long since I last saw the movie.

Old 06-15-2018, 08:44 AM

14 posts, read 5,665 times
The most suspenseful movie I've ever seen was The Man Who Skied Down Everest.

Old 06-15-2018, 08:45 AM

14 posts, read 5,665 times
The most suspenseful movie I've ever seen was the
Academy award-winning documentary The Man Who Skied Down Everest.

Old 06-15-2018, 08:57 AM

5,118 posts, read 633,854 times
"The Glass House"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wknrgJlv_Y&t=47s

Old 06-15-2018, 06:02 PM

27,610 posts, read 45,118,161 times
Has anyone seen movie called "The Changling" George C Scott and Trish Van deVere?
Has Melvin Douglass in his final role
Ghost story...no gore

We saw it originally in theater in Houston--converted cinema where they took the balcony section and turned it into a small room of its own...
So had a strange layout...
The movie was very creepy--lot of scary parts that were very realistic...
One high point had something occur that was VERY scary---
The couple sitting two rows up from us actually had the guy come out of his seat on the aisle and start trying to run out....he tripped...
It was funny as hell and I sympathized somewhat but it was a distraction to the rest of us

That was a very strong reaction to a film...

Old 06-15-2018, 10:57 PM

4,144 posts, read 5,976,255 times
Frailty (2001) and Cape Fear (the original 1962 one, not the remake with DeNiro), are two non-gory scary movies that totally flipped me out. I’ve never seen either one twice.

Old 06-17-2018, 07:10 AM

9,160 posts, read 3,977,907 times
- The Hand that Rocks the Cradle
- Rebecca
- Laura
- Suspicion

Old 06-18-2018, 09:03 AM

18,170 posts, read 16,513,223 times
Dead Calm was a great suspense movie. The Hitcher, too, although there was some blood and gore.

Old 06-18-2018, 11:41 AM

27,610 posts, read 45,118,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
- The Hand that Rocks the Cradle
- Rebecca
- Laura
- Suspicion
Re "The Hand that Rocked the Cradle"---original version w/Annabelle Sciorra and Rebecca deMornay--
Two normally very good actresses I enjoy watching--
Went to see this on original release with another couple
We laughed ourselves silly==
We thought it was just too over the top

Did the same thing in "Darkman" w/a much younger Liam Neeson--
Just couldn't feel the suspense vibe...
We didn't laugh loud enough to disturb the audience but for us just didn't buy the premise...

The three others you listed--suspenseful but really that scary--except for Mrs. Danvers in "Rebecca"
Judith Anderson with that giant mole was enough to scare anyone any time...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or