U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 11:11 AM

3,935 posts, read 2,110,564 times

Advertisements

So I had never seen the original until recently and I must say I was not impressed. I did love the sets and the way it was filmed, but those were the only redeeming qualities it had for me. I have no plans to see the remake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2018, 11:14 AM

3,935 posts, read 2,110,564 times
This should be in the movie forum and there is a thread there already.

Old 11-04-2018, 11:19 AM

20,563 posts, read 38,321,618 times
Merged two threads into one and put it in the Movie forum.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-09-2018, 02:48 PM

271 posts, read 114,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
I watched the original movie because of Joan Bennett from Dark Shadows being in it, but it's terrible. I not inclined to watch a remake.
Absolutely.
The original has this rep of being a masterpiece, but all it has going for it is the haunting score and the beautiful cinematography.
Nothing else holds up to scrutiny: the acting is awful, the special effects are laughable (even by the standards of the seventies), there's no narrative cohesion to speak of, and the story has many holes.

This new version is certainly an improvement in all those areas: however, it is not without flaws.
The third act totally falls apart (ironically, the only part of the film that adheres closely to Argento's original aesthetic of more is more is more).

I enjoyed it way more than the incredibly overrated original, but I still would not watch it again.

Old 11-19-2018, 06:59 PM

7,569 posts, read 2,843,189 times
This movie opened first of November but now it's disappeared from all the theaters in my area. I wonder why?

Is it normal practice to remove a film from theaters after only a couple of weeks?

Old 11-19-2018, 08:22 PM

2,048 posts, read 1,280,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
This movie opened first of November but now it's disappeared from all the theaters in my area. I wonder why?

Is it normal practice to remove a film from theaters after only a couple of weeks?

Yes, IF they are crap movies, and don't make any money because nobody comes to see them. They then get replaced by a movie that they hope will make a lot of money.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
Yes, IF they are crap movies, and don't make any money because nobody comes to see them. They then get replaced by a movie that they hope will make a lot of money.
Did Susperia get bad reviews, then?

Old 11-20-2018, 09:37 AM

2,048 posts, read 1,280,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Did Susperia get bad reviews, then?

I don't know, I was just replying to your statement. IMO, crap movies get dumped quickly, so that's IMO the case here. Perhaps since it was a remake, the incoherent original movie just poisoned the waters too much, and it couldn't overcome that to get enough people to even bother to watch it.

Old Today, 07:04 PM

I finally saw this movie and it wasn't as good as the original. The reason why is I think the film makers tried too hard to make it weirder and give it more plot twists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or