U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 05:07 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,454,433 times

Advertisements

She never did anything for me. Which means absolutely nothing. My guess is that I tend to like sharper facial features. Thinking of Audrey Hepburn, Kate Beckinsale, Angelina Jolie, Gal Gadot, Halle Berry, Emily Blunt to name a few of the top.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 11:41 PM

3,055 posts, read 998,260 times
Okay thanks, but I'm not sure what you mean by 'sharper'.

I just watched The Asphalt Jungle, and she is somewhat more attractive in that for sure.

Old 08-09-2018, 01:22 AM

22,404 posts, read 5,548,481 times
I own a book about Marilyn by Norman Mailer. I bought it sometime in the 70s. It is a beautiful book full of the most fabulous photos. I think it was this book, and the photos in it, that made me realise she was far more than a blonde film actress from another time.

Marilyn loved being photographed. She could relax, and take her time, with just the photographer, creating art. Making a movie she found daunting, because everything had to keep moving quickly because of the sheer cost.

In photos, her vulnerability jumps out at you. If you look at any other female movie star of her time, this isn't there........ only in Marilyn. There were plenty of imitators....... Mamie Van Doren, Sheree North, Jayne Mansfield among others. Studios desperately looked for their own Marilyn. They didn't grasp it was about far more than just beauty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvfIaZRwmwc

Old 08-11-2018, 05:38 AM

737 posts, read 334,476 times
What is considered sexy via society groupthink in women (and men as well) has changed over the years. By today’s standards, woman like Monroe, Elizabeth Taylor, Jayne Mansfield, Anita Eckberg, Sophia Loren, and Mae West would likely be considered varying degrees of “heavyset.” But that definitely wasn’t the case back then, and they were the major sex symbols of their day. They were considered buxom and hot. Regardless, they all had a certain amount of that indescribable “something” about them that made them seem sexy.

And then there’s the whole Rubenesque thing, when it appears chubby was indeed sexy a few centuries ago.

Agreed also with those who say Monroe was a good actress. She often played dumb blonde types but did so well, and she did well by comic parts in films like “Some Like It Hot.” And in movies like “Niagara,” she showed she was plenty capable of other types of roles. I think it’s easy to confuse the concept of playing a dumb blonde with being a dumb blonde. I don’t see evidence that Monroe was stupid in real life. And I think it also didn’t help that she was in a lot of mediocre to bad films — plus to an extent, I think she got typecast.

Last edited by bachslunch; 08-11-2018 at 05:49 AM..

Old 08-11-2018, 04:04 PM

3,055 posts, read 998,260 times
I'm actually surprised they would considered heavyset. That's the problem with women models today, is that they are too skinny and petite.

Old 08-11-2018, 04:10 PM

13,797 posts, read 7,425,589 times
I've never gotten Marilyn Monroe. She was a bit fat by today's standards. Her boobs weren't that great, by today's standards, but I guess she had nice legs for that subway grate street shot. The mole? OK? Pretty face? Guess so. The Kennedys obviously liked her.

Old 08-12-2018, 06:40 PM

861 posts, read 445,297 times
Quote:
Pretty face? Guess so.
guess so?? you guys are nuts. this is like a troll post - like posting that the
Beatles were a lousy band.

Old 08-12-2018, 07:27 PM

12,874 posts, read 10,838,929 times
Well, I wouldn't kick her outta bed for eating crackers.

Old 08-12-2018, 07:29 PM

155 posts, read 49,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauialoha View Post
guess so?? you guys are nuts. this is like a troll post - like posting that the
Beatles were a lousy band.

Old 08-12-2018, 07:30 PM

12,874 posts, read 10,838,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
She never did anything for me. Which means absolutely nothing. My guess is that I tend to like sharper facial features. Thinking of Audrey Hepburn, Kate Beckinsale, Angelina Jolie, Gal Gadot, Halle Berry, Emily Blunt to name a few of the top.
Did you see her on Sat Night Live last night?
My gosh, she is a goddess.
Crackers in bed...not an issue!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or