U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 12:47 PM

38,677 posts, read 45,030,920 times

Advertisements

OP you want to know the primary reason Marilyn Monroe was so popular, read the website below, you'll see she was the first to publicly come out of her shell and pose for nude photos and nude calendars that were hung in every gas station, auto garage and other men's hangouts. She was the first of her generation to "think outside the box" so to speak. In her era '50's the things she did was out of the norm, unthinkable at the time by the majority of the public, especially women. Her acting talents were secondary to her publicity of those at the time racy photos.

https://www.widewalls.ch/marilyn-mon...e-nude-photos/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/486318459741577929/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 12:56 PM

17,993 posts, read 17,140,226 times
MM was acting all the time except when she was Norma Jean Baker. She used to talk about how she could go out by herself, wearing no makeup and a plain headscarf, and no one would know who she was. But if she wanted to turn into MM, on went the makeup, off came the dull scarf, and she would change her entire expression, put on that big cheesy smile and oooze that sexy charisma. That's when she was Marilyn Monroe.

She was in love with JFK and thought he would marry her. It was decided that an affair with the president didn't look too good for JFK so they tried to pawn her off onto his brother, Bobby. She dated him and liked him too. The Kennedy in-law, actor Peter Lawford, fixed her up with people; I think he took her for a fool. A lot of people thought she was a bimbo because they made her act like one in the movies. She was an intelligent woman and was taken advantage of.

Old 06-06-2018, 03:03 PM

6,298 posts, read 3,477,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
MM was acting all the time except when she was Norma Jean Baker. She used to talk about how she could go out by herself, wearing no makeup and a plain headscarf, and no one would know who she was. But if she wanted to turn into MM, on went the makeup, off came the dull scarf, and she would change her entire expression, put on that big cheesy smile and oooze that sexy charisma. That's when she was Marilyn Monroe.
Yes, she was a very good actress. The OP just doesn't like the type of character she played in her best-known movies, so he's under-estimated the talent it took to play those roles.

Old 06-09-2018, 05:12 PM

2,958 posts, read 966,342 times
Well it's not that I don't necessarily like her characters, she plays, it's just because of her characters, I fail to see what makes her a sex symbol to so many men back then, and I was just trying to understand the enigma about it.

I mean like for example, look at Lisa Kudrow, who is famous for playing Phoebe on friends, as well as some movies she did such as Romi and Michelle's High School Reunion.

She was stuck playing idiots that overact you could say. Nothing wrong with that, but because of this you don't see men talking about how hot and sexy Lisa Kudrow was. Where if she did a movie like Basic Instinct, playing Katherine Trammell, then men would probably see her differently.

That is what I mean, is I don't understand how Marilyn Monroe was not seen the same way someone like Lisa Kudrow was, for the roles she plays, and was seen as a sex Goddess instead.

Old 06-09-2018, 05:14 PM

15,527 posts, read 29,233,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I don't mean to be insulting towards her as I am sure she was a very attractive woman for her time, and the majority seem to agree, but so far I have seen her in two movies. Gentlemen Prefer Blonds, and Some Like it Hot.

In those movies though, she acts very similar in both, and she plays a total bimbo, and plays the bimbo persona to a hilt. I think it takes away whatever attractiveness she has, unless of course people are going by how she was in real life, but you think that the characters she played would have some sort of an effect on how people viewed her attraction wise. But what do you think? I am seeing her the wrong way?
During the eras of her popularity being a sexy dumb blonde was considered a good thing. It was a different time. Accept it.

Old 06-09-2018, 05:16 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,402,860 times
What is attractive now and then is determined by the audience not the artist

Old 06-09-2018, 05:32 PM

17,907 posts, read 9,836,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Well it's not that I don't necessarily like her characters, she plays, it's just because of her characters, I fail to see what makes her a sex symbol to so many men back then, and I was just trying to understand the enigma about it.

I mean like for example, look at Lisa Kudrow, who is famous for playing Phoebe on friends, as well as some movies she did such as Romi and Michelle's High School Reunion.

She was stuck playing idiots that overact you could say. Nothing wrong with that, but because of this you don't see men talking about how hot and sexy Lisa Kudrow was. Where if she did a movie like Basic Instinct, playing Katherine Trammell, then men would probably see her differently.

That is what I mean, is I don't understand how Marilyn Monroe was not seen the same way someone like Lisa Kudrow was, for the roles she plays, and was seen as a sex Goddess instead.
Kudrow playing an idiot is about like Lucille Ball playing an idiot (although to be fair, Lucille Ball was a far superior comic actress to Lisa Kudrow). Lucille Ball was actually quite attractive, but didn't get a "bombshell" reputation because she didn't play a "bombshell."

"Bombshell" was a particular role stereotype that may or may not have been combined with some particular level of intelligence. In the earlier decades, Mae West played the "sassy" bombshell, in which her sexuality was more directly and intentionally portrayed ("Is that a gun in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?"). She could be deliberate in being provocative.

By the 50s, the US was in a much more puritanical mood (standing up against those Godless Commies, y'know, putting God on the currency and God in the pledge of allegiance during that same period), and bombshell sexuality had to be played more coyly...as though the woman didn't realize she was doing it.

Old 06-09-2018, 06:37 PM

2,958 posts, read 966,342 times
Oh okay, and I can see why Mae West was much more attractive, as in she seemed to know what she was doing. So why is it that Munroe had to play it more coyly, or what does being a bombshell have anything to do with standing up against Godless commies? Can't a woman be an anti-communist and still be sassy back then?

Old 06-09-2018, 06:54 PM

150 posts, read 47,588 times
I haven't read the whole thread but you may want to see her final movie, THE MISFITS. She had to hold her own against Clark Gable and Montgomery Clift, and the direction of John Houston. She had to be good.

A quality Monroe had was vulnerability, which made her screen persona quite appealing.

Old 06-09-2018, 07:53 PM

3,794 posts, read 2,007,920 times
The problem is, you need to stop associating the characters people play with how they look. One has nothing to do with the other. Period. Either you find someone attractive or you don’t. I know many guys that find Lisa Kudrow attractive. I know many guys who don’t find Marilyn Monroe attractive. It’s a matter of preference.

I don’t watch movies and think that any actor is like their character. It’s called acting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or