U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 02:56 AM

909 posts, read 410,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I mean that her playing characters like that, makes her very unattractive as a person on screen. If she plays it like that in other movies besides those two, that makes me even more dumbfounded as to why she was considered a sex symbol.
I know what you mean. Her characters were unevolved. By contrast, Natalie Wood's character dialog and acting in "West Side Story" were excellent. Wood truly was talented in those film roles.

To me, Marilyn Monroe was popular more for sex appeal and physical appearance. However, given the ageism of Hollywood, this likely would have faded by the late 1960s if she had lived as it did for similar actresses of that generation (e.g. Bardot).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2018, 11:19 AM

3,005 posts, read 981,351 times
Well I think that Wood was much more attractive in comparison to Munroe.

Old 06-10-2018, 12:54 PM

17,978 posts, read 9,869,523 times
Quote:
Well I think that Wood was much more attractive in comparison to Munroe.
Well, I think Dorothy Dandridge was more attractive than Monroe, but I certainly understand why Monroe had the interest of the majority.

Old 06-10-2018, 03:15 PM

2,493 posts, read 1,255,114 times
Don't let her dumb blonde image fool you, she was smarter than she ever let on!

As several people mentioned earlier, back in those days the movie studios owned you. You signed a contract and you had X amount of films you were hired for. Starting off, yes those roles made her popular but she did the unthinkable in the middle of her career and broke away. She was suppose to star in one dumb movie (forgot the name) and the role was the same old, same old so she took a stand and refused to be in it. That's when she fled to New York, studied under Lee Strasberg and started her own production company doing roles she was aching to do.

The appeal of Marilyn is ageless...she appeals to both men and women. She was a lost child inside a sex pot body. She had an awful childhood, she many foster homes, she never knew her father. The men she loved, loved the movie star not the child/woman inside, though I do believe she was on the verge of getting back together with Joe DiMaggio before she died.

Her death is surrounded by mystery so that just fuels her persona. To me she is probably the most photogenic movie star I've ever seen. I'm a straight female and I could stare at her pictures for hours. She has this magical glow about her.

Old 06-11-2018, 04:41 AM

22,296 posts, read 5,518,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post

Her death is surrounded by mystery so that just fuels her persona. To me she is probably the most photogenic movie star I've ever seen. I'm a straight female and I could stare at her pictures for hours. She has this magical glow about her.
The director Billy Wilder said only two actresses jumped out of the screen at you, and held your attention no matter who else was on the screen. One was Clara Bow, and the other was Marilyn Monroe. The camera just loved them both.

Marilyn has been dead for 55 years, yet, every year, when the new calendars come out, there she is. Very few stars of her time still sell such things.

The best way to see what Marilyn had, different to other female stars of her time, is to look at still photos of her. In many, there is a sheer vulnerability that stares you in the face.

She revealed a lot of her early background in newspapers and magazines. She didn't reveal the awful things she had to do on the way to becoming a star. She was treated very badly by executives at 20th Century Fox, and she didn't forget it. As a star, she punished executives, and made them pay for what she had been put through earlier in her career.

Her death is a mystery for sure. A lot of strange things happened the day, and night of her death. She was involved with powerful, dangerous people.

Joe DeMaggio was her rock, and one true love. He never recovered from her death, and his last words to his family were of her.

There is nothing to touch her in modern actresses. No one has the appeal that Marilyn had. She wasn't a great actress, but she so wanted to be. For this, she was ridiculed. Marilyn had to play Marilyn, and wouldn't be allowed to do anything else. Her career would not have lasted much longer, if she had lived.

She is frozen in time forever. An example of true female beauty..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFaGHnbcnIs

Old 06-11-2018, 11:43 AM

13,026 posts, read 5,412,064 times
Quote:
Well it's not that I don't necessarily like her characters, she plays, it's just because of her characters, I fail to see what makes her a sex symbol to so many men back then, and I was just trying to understand the enigma about it.

I mean like for example, look at Lisa Kudrow, who is famous for playing Phoebe on friends, as well as some movies she did such as Romi and Michelle's High School Reunion.

She was stuck playing idiots that overact you could say. Nothing wrong with that, but because of this you don't see men talking about how hot and sexy Lisa Kudrow was. Where if she did a movie like Basic Instinct, playing Katherine Trammell, then men would probably see her differently.

That is what I mean, is I don't understand how Marilyn Monroe was not seen the same way someone like Lisa Kudrow was, for the roles she plays, and was seen as a sex Goddess instead.
Well, thatís easy. Back in the Ď50s men liked dumb women (or thought they did).

Old 06-11-2018, 01:00 PM

2,493 posts, read 1,255,114 times
It's amazing how some people think playing dumb characters equal dumb in real life!

Old 06-11-2018, 02:35 PM

27,573 posts, read 45,029,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
She was a very attractive woman. No doubt.

A gifted actress? No. Not even a little.
Watch "The Misfits"
Might change your mind

Monroe's problem -- like many beautiful women--was that the men with the money wanted her to be their "dream" of a compliant sex toy....
Not a real woman--
They put her in parts that played up the beauty and compliant like the horrible "Prince and Showgirl"
I think in "Some Like it Hot" she does a great job of playing a dumb blonde--which she was not...

But she was a very tortured woman psychologically...
Product of abuse as child and older, full of self-doubt/self-criticism, sense of failure because she couldn't have a child...

Old 06-11-2018, 02:59 PM

17,978 posts, read 9,869,523 times
Quote:
It's amazing how some people think playing dumb characters equal dumb in real life!
Lucille Ball would be a case in point. A brilliant comedic actress and also a brilliant producer...whom we can thank for Star Trek.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:38 PM

13,026 posts, read 5,412,064 times
Quote:
I donít think she was dumb, but the sex symbol idea back then was an airhead. I remember many sitcoms over the years where the guys would be excited to go out with someone who didnít speak English very well. What were they trying to say? That they could take advantage, or not have to waste time talking? Iím sure that was on at least two or three episodes of Happy Days and several on Threeís Company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or