U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 09:52 PM

1,662 posts, read 1,067,732 times

Advertisements

Someone once called her a female, female impersonator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 08:15 AM

20,344 posts, read 20,446,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Watch "The Misfits"
Might change your mind

Monroe's problem -- like many beautiful women--was that the men with the money wanted her to be their "dream" of a compliant sex toy....
Not a real woman--
They put her in parts that played up the beauty and compliant like the horrible "Prince and Showgirl"
I think in "Some Like it Hot" she does a great job of playing a dumb blonde--which she was not...

But she was a very tortured woman psychologically...
Product of abuse as child and older, full of self-doubt/self-criticism, sense of failure because she couldn't have a child...
Bus Stop and Niagara (sorry if already mentioned) were also two movies that showed she had more acting ability than people who only remember her for standing on a sidewalk grate can come up with. She would be a star in any era she showed up in.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:58 PM

909 posts, read 506,475 times
Just seeing this post. Have been a huge fan for over 20 years, related with Marilyn when I was 18 and started doing some modeling. She is much more than a hot blonde. During that era it was so hard for a woman to make it in Hollywood, more less one that was in and out of foster homes and did not come from money. Yet, she put in more time than these reality star whores do now. She took voice, dance, and acting lessons. Real talent and hard work! Can we say dedication? Perhaps they portrayed her as a dumb blonde, but she was not. She knew the game and played to it to her advantage. Yes, she was late often, but she was so insecure she did not feel comfortable until she was perfect in her part. Like her, I am a Gemini and very Type A, and my worst critic. Her birthday is June 1, mine is June 4. And just yesterday was the 56th anniversary of her death. Yet, I saw no specials on TV for her. Very surprised.
True fact: A friend of mine studied under Strausberg in LA. He told me that Marilyn was such a dedicated method actress that she was able to sweat profusely for a role while in Alaska. Yep, she is an icon. So to think she was just some piece of ass that made it, um no. She worked hard. And she was the love of Joe's life.
I have seen her home in Brentwood, hand prints on Hollywood Blvd, and the cemetery she is buried at in the mausoleum at Westwood Village. Being from the East Coast, it was not hard to find this cemetery yet very secluded. She just wanted to be accepted and was often looked down on or as stated earlier, portrayed as the dumb blonde and not taken seriously. However, she took a chance and chased a dream and became a star, sure that is more than most people have accomplished or even tried to pursue in their lives.

P.S. she was in over 20 movies and I own most of them. If you want to see real talent in technicolor without all the bull**** touched up, indulge into Let's Make Love, Who Wants to Marry a Millionaire, Niagra, The Misfits, Bus Stop, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, All About Eve, etc. And than tell me she is not talented.

Old 08-07-2018, 04:12 AM

12,693 posts, read 10,759,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
But what do you think? I am seeing her the wrong way?
It was the men...that's what they liked more then.
Not that she wouldn't be a sexy woman now!

Oh, I should probably mention a friend of mine...not attractive ...met Marilyn when she was 8 yrs old.
She and her hubby, on Long Island, went to a neighborhood BBQ...Marilyn bent down
and touched my friend's
face and said some very sweet thing like,"What a pretty little girl." What a moment, huh?

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 08-07-2018 at 04:30 AM..

Old 08-07-2018, 08:57 AM

62 posts, read 9,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S.
A gifted actress? No. Not even a little.
She was quite natural acting in Bus stop (1956) it didnt even seem like she was following a script....

I know alot who dont like her though.....

Old 08-07-2018, 09:04 AM

14,521 posts, read 11,505,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I don't mean to be insulting towards her as I am sure she was a very attractive woman for her time, and the majority seem to agree, but so far I have seen her in two movies. Gentlemen Prefer Blonds, and Some Like it Hot.

In those movies though, she acts very similar in both, and she plays a total bimbo, and plays the bimbo persona to a hilt. I think it takes away whatever attractiveness she has, unless of course people are going by how she was in real life, but you think that the characters she played would have some sort of an effect on how people viewed her attraction wise. But what do you think? I am seeing her the wrong way?
She was like Elvis ..liked by men and women...and would still be seen as a show stopper today..

Old 08-07-2018, 09:05 AM

14,521 posts, read 11,505,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Don't underestimate Monroe. She knew exactly what she was doing and she knew when to do it, too.
She could go out in public and not be recognized because, she said, I didn't want to be. And then go right back out as Marilyn and be recognized.
She knew how to get discovered, too. You should read some of the material about her.

Loni Anderson said that if beauty is all you've got going for you, then you'll never make it in Hollywood. She was right.

Don't forget we had lots to choose from and lots for her to compete with. From Doris Day to Grace Kelly and all the way from Gina Lollobrigida to Debbie Reynolds, the field was packed and she made her own place.
A one off and never be another ...

Old 08-07-2018, 11:00 AM

22,271 posts, read 5,513,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
She was like Elvis ..liked by men and women...and would still be seen as a show stopper today..
Marilyn would be a very different type of woman if around today. She would have been born in the 80s, and everything about her would be more as we know women today.

She would still be drop dead gorgeous, with a more modern look. The times she lived were very different, which contributed to the way she presented herself.

She came along at the end of the golden age of movies, and most of her career was spent in a rapidly changing movie world. The studios started getting rid of their contract stars as she rose in popularity. They recognised she had something they could exploit.

Unfortunately, the studio heads couldn't see past her great beauty, and only wanted to put her in films that showed that off. Marilyn wanted to be a real actress, and went to New York to try and learn under Lee Strasberg, at his acting studio. She wasn't driven by money, but by a desire to gain respect in her chosen profession.

She walked a hard road, with grit and determination. From marriage at 16 years of age to a young man picked for her, she managed to raise herself to being the most famous woman in the world of her time.

Her first husband, a good guy called James Dougherty, knew her, and loved her. He received a phone call informing him of her death. He turned to his wife, and said, "say a prayer for Norma Jeane."

Billy Wilder, who was driven to distraction by Marilyn's behaviour on 'Some Like It Hot', a few years after her death, was watching rushes of a comedy he was making. He watched the actress struggling in the role, and said, "what this part needs is Marilyn Monroe." The same Marilyn, who a few years before, had made him so angry. He knew her quality, and knew what had been lost.

Old 08-08-2018, 02:15 AM

22,271 posts, read 5,513,029 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8gc24OdhvU

Old 08-08-2018, 02:54 PM

11,387 posts, read 7,420,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I tell you, it's like looking at her through the eyes of Joe Dimaggio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or