Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 09:34 PM

9,797 posts, read 14,643,341 times

Advertisements

Funny the OP creates this thread at this time.

Yesterday Marilyn Monroe descended on Stamford, Connecticut. Well, sort of...

If the OP lives within the NYC metro area, might want to take some time and see this bigger than life representation of her in person. Metro North has an express train that leaves several times during the day from Grand Central Station in Midtown Manhattan to Stamford, CT. The ride lasts about 40 minutes.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/52106626-post1463.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 09:46 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,128,493 times
Looks will get you very far in hollywood. Look at Keanu Reeves and Cameron Diaz. Very little acting talent there, but they thrive. Eye candy?

Most people do not know that MM worked in a aircraft plant during WW2. Very patriotic. Must have done wonders for her image.

You'd never see beyonce or cher doing that.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:49 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,039,849 times
Well as far as acting goes, Camera Diaz is Meryl Streep compared to the two Monroe movies I have seen her in, so I thought that Diaz had a bit of acting talent to get her by.

Old 06-06-2018, 05:42 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,935,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
but you think that the characters she played would have some sort of an effect on how people viewed her attraction wise. But what do you think? I am seeing her the wrong way?

I still don’t get what your reasoning is here for what one has to do with the other.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:40 AM

26,593 posts, read 26,478,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
The OP is not an American thus probably doesn't understand the relative fame of a ....
Somehow I missed that. Where are you from, OP?

Old 06-06-2018, 09:26 AM

28,573 posts, read 18,582,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
What set her apart from the other pin ups who had a starring role or two from her era to be remembered by us, most of who never saw her except when an old movie rotated to on of the three local TV channels? Well there was the first issue of Playboy which left less of her to the imagination than her acting/sex symbol competition. The marriage to baseball Hall Of Famer Joe DiMaggio, who lucky for the publicity minded played for the New York Yankees. Then there was the public sexual flirtation of President Kennedy in an era when general reporters didn't gleefully report on celebrities, political or entertainment celeb's extra marital sexual affairs
Most of Monroe's career (at least 20 movies) was behind her when Kennedy was elected president. She was dead within months of that birthday song.

Half of her career was behind her by the time she married DiMaggio. DiMaggio was attracted to her because she was a movie star.

So neither man was a stepping stone to stardom for her.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:52 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,321,279 times
I have read her biography. In fact I have read a couple of them. All her life her looks and her body were a blessing and a curse. She desperately wanted to be taken as a serious actor but was constantly being out in the bimbo role. She even tried playing down her looks but then she wouldn’t get the adulation she craved. She was very insecure. Both Hollywood and the men in her personal life took advantage of that.

Sometimes she was Marilyn, sometimes she was Norma Jean.

She broke hearts because she was emotionally immature herself but in the other hand, men in her life like DiMaggio and Miller wanted her to be a quiet little mouse and that just wasn’t her.

Had she lived in today’s world, she would have been quite a different personality. She would have been allowed to have a personality of her own.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:30 AM

25,349 posts, read 16,998,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I have read her biography. In fact I have read a couple of them. All her life her looks and her body were a blessing and a curse. She desperately wanted to be taken as a serious actor but was constantly being out in the bimbo role. She even tried playing down her looks but then she wouldn’t get the adulation she craved. She was very insecure. Both Hollywood and the men in her personal life took advantage of that.

Sometimes she was Marilyn, sometimes she was Norma Jean.

She broke hearts because she was emotionally immature herself but in the other hand, men in her life like DiMaggio and Miller wanted her to be a quiet little mouse and that just wasn’t her.

Had she lived in today’s world, she would have been quite a different personality. She would have been allowed to have a personality of her own.
Sure can't argue with what you say, but I would like to contrast her with Katherine Hepburn. Hepburn became her very own person. I think Monroe would have loved to have that sort of freedom, but to put it another way, she was a prisoner being held hostage by her looks. She couldn't be Hepburn. But then Hepburn could not have been Monroe.

Old 06-06-2018, 01:22 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,321,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Sure can't argue with what you say, but I would like to contrast her with Katherine Hepburn. Hepburn became her very own person. I think Monroe would have loved to have that sort of freedom, but to put it another way, she was a prisoner being held hostage by her looks. She couldn't be Hepburn. But then Hepburn could not have been Monroe.
Hepburn also had an entirely different upbringing. She was also bettered educated and was not afraid to speak up for herself.

Old 06-06-2018, 01:44 PM

3,994 posts, read 2,672,199 times
Heterosexual female born several years after Monroe died....I can see the appeal of Monroe, based on her photos, especially her movies. She had a sort of....'glow'...about her (ironic, considering all the crap going on in her life) that you have trouble keeping your eyes off of. There are people like that--no matter how they rank, looks-wise, there's just that something about them that draws people in, and I think Monroe was one of those people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies