U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 12:34 PM

1,947 posts, read 965,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
I finally watched this the other day. It did nothing for me. Not scary. Not well done. I found the whole film to be rather 'cheesy'. Meh.
Yes, I was really looking forward to this as it came highly recommended by a friend with whom I often share movie tastes. But really? I thought it was silly. The demonic ending seemed tacked on. There were a ton of tropes-- descrated graves, mysterious books and boxes of stuff a creepy dead person once owned, secret cults, scary witchcraft. The only thing that really made this one a stand out was the horrific nature of the deaths. It was as though they got one idea that really bothered them and just repeated it for a gross out. The interiors were SO DARK I had to keep adjusting my TV brightness (watched it on Amazon, maybe it was different in the theatre) and I had to keep the captioning on as the dialogue went in and out. And this is petty but the son looked NOTHING like either of the parents. I kept thinking it would come up that he was some kind of adopted demon spawn or something. Strange casting choice there.

That actress that played the daughter was suitably creepy looking. But the rest of it? Meh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I just watched this recently as it was free for Amazon Prime members.

Definitely one of the creepiest and most unsettling movies I've ever seen. There were a few scenes which made me jump.

I think I was let down by the ending and its revelations though. I didn't think it was going to be a straight up demon possession story, though I realize the clues were there. I was expecting something more shocking and real life for some reason. But other than that, was a very good movie and definitely one of the scariest I've seen in a while.
I think it would have been better if it was a story about mental illness rather than the demonic possession. Such as maybe the Annie character was doing this stuff and thought it was happening from her mother's cult. If it kept you guessing and thinking maybe something supernatural was happening and then the reveal was that the main character was just having a serious break down. Or if it made all of that very ambigious. Once you trot out the demons and kings of hell or whatever, I just start to giggle. It was just goofy.

Old 01-07-2019, 03:09 PM

15,615 posts, read 9,032,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
I think it would have been better if it was a story about mental illness rather than the demonic possession. Such as maybe the Annie character was doing this stuff and thought it was happening from her mother's cult. If it kept you guessing and thinking maybe something supernatural was happening and then the reveal was that the main character was just having a serious break down. Or if it made all of that very ambigious. Once you trot out the demons and kings of hell or whatever, I just start to giggle. It was just goofy.
Exactly. That's precisely the reason why I was so let down. Toni Collette gave one of the most amazing performances I've ever been. She really put herself out there and her suffering, anguish, and paranoia was hard to watch at times. I felt her performance and the story deserved something better than a simple demonic possession story.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:19 PM

21,754 posts, read 33,637,381 times
Quote:
Exactly. That's precisely the reason why I was so let down. Toni Collette gave one of the most amazing performances I've ever been. She really put herself out there and her suffering, anguish, and paranoia was hard to watch at times. I felt her performance and the story deserved something better than a simple demonic possession story.
LOL. Judging from this thread, the critics apparently were only ones that liked this movie! Not surprising, as that was reflected in most audience surveys I've seen online. Strange that there would be such a disparity.
Personally, I thought it was one of the better examples of this genre that I've seen of late. I agree that Collette wrung every drop out of that performance (doesn't she always?), and the other performances were pretty solid as well. The buildup was somewhat slow, but there were a lot of Easter Eggs that we had to find along the way (I watched it twice to make sure I didn't miss any). It was so reminiscent of Rosemary's Baby in that the whole movie was a game of Hot Potato (Who's the bad guy? Is she crazy or not?). Also I loved the metaphor of the miniature rooms, as if someone is constantly watching and manipulating their world.

Old 01-08-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
LOL. Judging from this thread, the critics apparently were only ones that liked this movie! Not surprising, as that was reflected in most audience surveys I've seen online. Strange that there would be such a disparity.
Personally, I thought it was one of the better examples of this genre that I've seen of late. I agree that Collette wrung every drop out of that performance (doesn't she always?), and the other performances were pretty solid as well. The buildup was somewhat slow, but there were a lot of Easter Eggs that we had to find along the way (I watched it twice to make sure I didn't miss any). It was so reminiscent of Rosemary's Baby in that the whole movie was a game of Hot Potato (Who's the bad guy? Is she crazy or not?). Also I loved the metaphor of the miniature rooms, as if someone is constantly watching and manipulating their world.
I will only watch a movie for "Easter eggs" if I thought it was worth seeing again. This one was not. The script was hackneyed and it is only the performances that raised it above a snooze fest. That and the copious number of decapitations. I didn't like any of the characters enough to care about who the bad guy was. The film was just lazy...one line about an epi pen and oh yes the daughter can die from a nut.allergy (and if it's so severe why DOESN'T anyone have an epi pen at all.times?) One scene to establish the mother daughter relationship with Annie and Charlie. Lots of time spent on heads being chopped off. Just sophomoric. And the demon thing is just too silly for words.

I would rewrite this as a meditation on grief and mental illness with the only "demons" being in someone's head. Tie in a fear of inherited traits that lead to mental illness and toxic family relationship Dynamics and you have a much more interesting film.

I agree with you that the dollhouses were creepy and interesting.

Old 01-09-2019, 12:53 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykrxcoIOXjo

Old 01-11-2019, 08:19 AM

11,287 posts, read 6,442,925 times
This movie was really scary and nerve racking until the last 15 or so minutes. the late turn in the plot to devil worshipping cult ruined the movie. The ending felt like the writer couldn't come up with an ending so decided to tack on the devil stuff.

Old 01-11-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
I also heard people comparing it to movies like "The Witch" in that the fate of the main characters of the movie were sealed from the beginning, in that they never stood a chance from becoming overwhelmed by evil forces. Kind of like the old movie "Burnt Offerings."

Old 01-11-2019, 09:34 AM

21,754 posts, read 33,637,381 times
Quote:
I also heard people comparing it to movies like "The Witch" in that the fate of the main characters of the movie were sealed from the beginning, in that they never stood a chance from becoming overwhelmed by evil forces. Kind of like the old movie "Burnt Offerings."
Yes, other comparisons would be Harvest Home and The Wicker Man, where the protagonist believes that they are moving towards a situation of their own volition but instead have been led there by unseen forces...and for a specific purpose.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:11 PM

3,203 posts, read 1,546,175 times
I didn't think it was terrifying at all. And I didn't enjoy it at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies