Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 05:49 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,362,874 times

Advertisements

Loved this movie and book since I was like 5.

It's got one of those beginnings that couldn't possibly be better, with GLORIA playing.

Matt Dillon was so perfectly cast. Nicolas cage tried to get that role thank God his uncle knew better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 04:05 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Great movie. The director's cut is even better.

Old 02-09-2019, 06:28 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,067,385 times
It's been quite a while since I've seen it, so maybe I need to watch it again, but I remember thinking what was the point of the story. The story was a plot with a beginning, middle, and end, but it felt like it had no theme to it, and just a plot only, if that makes sense?

Old 02-09-2019, 06:29 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,960,626 times
what is the question about The Outsiders?

Old 02-09-2019, 08:10 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
It's been quite a while since I've seen it, so maybe I need to watch it again, but I remember thinking what was the point of the story. The story was a plot with a beginning, middle, and end, but it felt like it had no theme to it, and just a plot only, if that makes sense?
Maybe the point was to show the point of view of the "bad guys". In this story the good kids are seen as the bad guys from point of view of the protagonists.

Old 02-09-2019, 09:41 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times
"Look at those high water pants...are you waiting for a flood?"

Old 02-10-2019, 12:19 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,067,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Maybe the point was to show the point of view of the "bad guys". In this story the good kids are seen as the bad guys from point of view of the protagonists.
Well I didn't see one side as more good than the other, just two gangs that hate each other, and decide to go to war, over something futile and petty it seems.

Old 02-10-2019, 01:25 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
It was one of the first popular novels about kids "from the wrong side of the tracks." They were most often portrayed as nothing but troublesome juvenile delinquents in the books, TV, and movies of the day. THE OUTSIDERS showed them as real people, some good, some bad, and most a generous helping of both. It also showed that the "clean-cut" kids who were most often held up as the examples of good behavior weren't always so good.

The theme is a classic coming of age story, but set in a world of lower class kids who were most often used as stereotypical villains in most stories of the day. THE OUTSIDERS made them the heroes.

It's a great book that Coppola turned into a fine movie.

Old 02-10-2019, 03:21 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times
Quote:
Well I didn't see one side as more good than the other, just two gangs that hate each other, and decide to go to war, over something futile and petty it seems.
That seems like an interesting theme as well, doesn't it. It shows that there are really no bad guys in the gang world. Just unfortunate things that happen, and senseless violence.

Old 02-10-2019, 04:24 PM

19,383 posts, read 15,220,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Loved this movie and book since I was like 5.

It's got one of those beginnings that couldn't possibly be better, with GLORIA playing.

Matt Dillon was so perfectly cast. Nicolas cage tried to get that role thank God his uncle knew better.
One of my favorite parts of the movie.

Quote:
From what I recall, the author of the book was a teen when she wrote it and it was somewhat autobiographical. I think I was probably a teen when I first read it, and it just rang completely true. And from the very first line, it grabbed me. I'm quoting this off the internet, so I hope it's accurate, but it started out as, "When I stepped out into the bright sunlight from the darkness of the movie house..."

For a while, I had volunteered to tutor people in reading. This one guy I had assigned to me, he was probably in his early 20s. I could see he had certain issues, didn't have a great upbringing in life, had some substance problems, etc. I could also see he wasn't really responding to the basic course that was prescribed. I've since then mentally kicked myself for not realizing that I should have had him read The Outsiders. I think he really would have responded to that.

A few days ago, I went through and got rid of and donated a bunch of movies. There were so many that I watch so often and I automatically knew I wanted to keep, but the only one where I thought, There is NO way I'm giving this one up, was The Outsiders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies