Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 07:45 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
Yes, he is very handsome. I think he looks better without the beard. I saw the movie this weekend. It was ok. I don't get all the excitement over the movie and acting though. I give it 6.5 out of 10. My daughters give it 7.5.
maybe sometime, if you watch it again, you might change your mind....I find sometimes, if I don't care for a movie or show, it might have something to do with my mood, being tired....etc....?

Not that your wrong for feeling the way you do though....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2019, 08:10 PM

19,423 posts, read 15,236,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
HOLY COW ... Outsanding! There will definitely be Oscar noms for this one. Best Pic, Best Lead Actor and Actress, Best Director, Best Original Song ... I know it's too early for predictions, but none of these would surprise me.

Cooper shocked the hell out of me. As an actor (probably his best performace yet, and light years beyond his other nominated roles), as a singer (who knew?? he needs to get in the recording studio!), and as a director (again, who knew?)

And this definitely wasn't meat dress wearing Gaga. No gimmicks or schtick. Pure stripped down Stefani. Beautiful voice, and a much stronger actor than I expected!

Their chemistry is crazy!!

And throw in a little Sam Elliot for good measure. Very believable as Jackson's big brother.

Definitely not a happy feel-good film. Pretty gut wrenching. But so worth it.
I'm shocked by my own reaction. We were just going to watch it because, you know, Oscar-nominated, whatever... I wasn't really interested. I had seen the Streisand/Kristofferson version when I was young, and I liked it but didn't want to see it anymore or watch a new version. Too sad. But with this version, I was blown away. I was literally fighting back sobs for the last half of the movie. I don't want to overhype it for others, but I was seriously affected by it. Exquisitely done. (I'm a wet, soppy mess. I tear up at movies sometimes, but I'm a mess here. lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Very, very fine piece of moviemaking.

If I were to make a minor - and it is very minor - complaint, it is that
Spoiler
the song that was supposed to show Gaga's character as a complete sellout ("Why did you do that?", IIRC) still actually kinda works.

The two main characters really play well off each other, the supporting actors do an outstanding job as well. Sure, it's Oscar bait - but it's well-made, non-gimmicky Oscar bait.
I don't know how he made such Oscar-bait-y material so non-gimmicky. Didn't feel gimmicky at all. It was so real and I think that's why I was so destroyed by it. lol

Old 03-03-2019, 11:56 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
I don't know how he made such Oscar-bait-y material so non-gimmicky. Didn't feel gimmicky at all. It was so real and I think that's why I was so destroyed by it. lol
Wasn't that something, though? I felt like I'd watched a really good illusionist act, the sort where you stop wondering "How did they do that?' and just go with it.

Old 03-04-2019, 01:08 AM

19,423 posts, read 15,236,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Wasn't that something, though? I felt like I'd watched a really good illusionist act, the sort where you stop wondering "How did they do that?' and just go with it.
Exactly. You know where it's going and what he's doing, but still...

Just the whole thing; the acting, his directing, just certain little pops of small scenes that make a huge impact - I don't know... it just really caught me off guard. It's just really beautiful in a way.

Old 06-27-2019, 04:37 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
Yes, he is very handsome. I think he looks better without the beard. I saw the movie this weekend. It was ok. I don't get all the excitement over the movie and acting though. I give it 6.5 out of 10. My daughters give it 7.5.
I thought the movie was pretty darn good, and they both did a fantastic job, but, I don't believe Gaga was as good as Streisand? But that's my personal feelings.

Old 06-27-2019, 05:00 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,426,807 times
Sorry, but IMHO no one has ever been as good as Janet Gaynor in the original film version. Sshe was such a cutie, and perfect for the role! Frederic March was no slouch either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies