U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 05:58 PM

27,223 posts, read 15,024,326 times

Advertisements

I did notice it and I will be watching. I loved the one with Streisand too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2018, 06:08 PM

25,454 posts, read 23,266,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
She can dress however she wants of course. I would never suggest otherwise. But there's nothing wrong with pointing out that her "out there" creative expression is overshadowing her true talent and beauty.
yupper, they were out there for certain.

Old 06-09-2018, 08:34 PM

3,693 posts, read 2,835,177 times
A friend posted about it on social media, and I wondered why this movie needs to be made a 4th time, and how on earth anyone can compare to Judy Garland or Barbra Streisand in this role, but I watched the trailer, and it doesn't look half bad. Lady Gaga's music has never really been my cup of tea, but I have to give her credit for being a wonderful musician, songwriter and business person from a relatively young age. That lady has some real talent.

Old 06-10-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
A friend posted about it on social media, and I wondered why this movie needs to be made a 4th time, and how on earth anyone can compare to Judy Garland or Barbra Streisand in this role, but I watched the trailer, and it doesn't look half bad. Lady Gaga's music has never really been my cup of tea, but I have to give her credit for being a wonderful musician, songwriter and business person from a relatively young age. That lady has some real talent.
yes, she is a very powerful singer, and I never know that he could sing as well....big surprise for me.

Old 06-12-2018, 01:19 PM

1,816 posts, read 318,385 times
The original version of the 1937 classic "A Star is Born" is now public domain. By that, I mean the original theatrical release. Any digital restoration on a VHS or DVD/BD release gets its own copyright.

Old 06-12-2018, 03:29 PM

20,895 posts, read 32,882,944 times
Quote:
The reason that remakes work for this story is because they totally reinvented it every time they remade it. I've loved every version of it, because it always involved real talent. I don't think I'll be disappointed this time, either, judging from what I've seen so far.

Old 06-13-2018, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
The reason that remakes work for this story is because they totally reinvented it every time they remade it. I've loved every version of it, because it always involved real talent. I don't think I'll be disappointed this time, either, judging from what I've seen so far.
I agree with this ^^^ and try not to equate one with the other, even if a movie is made from a book, I do the same, look at it as it's very own entity, and that way, no expectations are violated.

Old 06-16-2018, 06:11 AM

3,693 posts, read 2,835,177 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I agree with this ^^^ and try not to equate one with the other, even if a movie is made from a book, I do the same, look at it as it's very own entity, and that way, no expectations are violated.
Good observations. It does seem to be a story that can be interpreted and reinvented multiple times, and I agree with you Iconographer, that having a female lead who is talented and well known in her own right is a necessary component for success.

Old 06-16-2018, 07:56 AM

20,895 posts, read 32,882,944 times
Quote:
Good observations. It does seem to be a story that can be interpreted and reinvented multiple times, and I agree with you Iconographer, that having a female lead who is talented and well known in her own right is a necessary component for success.
Absolutely. A half-talent could never make it work. You need a "Double-Threat" in the role.
While I loved the original version (Janet Gaynor and the fabulous Fredric March), the franchise really didn't take off until they brought music into it. Judy (who was famously robbed of an Oscar for this role) and Barbra were extraordinary, but that is not to take away from James Mason and Kris Kristofferson who both carried off the tricky challenge of creating a character that, while at times was despicable, brought a needed degree of pathos to their role.
I like that Gaga (apparently) is bringing out a needed sense of insecurity and vulnerability to her character; Barbra never really did. It underscores the the poignance of their relationship and the subsequent tragedy.
And frankly, I'd sit for two hours just to watch Bradley Cooper read the phone book.

Old 06-16-2018, 08:21 AM

7,951 posts, read 3,862,498 times
Quote:
And frankly, I'd sit for two hours just to watch Bradley Cooper read the phone book.

I'd make it four hours if he read it in French!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U9TlvTh0GI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or