U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 09:55 PM

7,951 posts, read 3,862,498 times

Advertisements

HOLY COW ... Outsanding! There will definitely be Oscar noms for this one. Best Pic, Best Lead Actor and Actress, Best Director, Best Original Song ... I know it's too early for predictions, but none of these would surprise me.

Cooper shocked the hell out of me. As an actor (probably his best performace yet, and light years beyond his other nominated roles), as a singer (who knew?? he needs to get in the recording studio!), and as a director (again, who knew?)

And this definitely wasn't meat dress wearing Gaga. No gimmicks or schtick. Pure stripped down Stefani. Beautiful voice, and a much stronger actor than I expected!

Their chemistry is crazy!!

And throw in a little Sam Elliot for good measure. Very believable as Jackson's big brother.

Definitely not a happy feel-good film. Pretty gut wrenching. But so worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2018, 06:52 AM

15,072 posts, read 19,713,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
And this definitely wasn't meat dress wearing Gaga. No gimmicks or schtick.
I don't like Lady Gaga's music. Just not my thing. I hate nearly all modern pop music. But even I have to admit that she truly does have an amazing voice.

Old 09-28-2018, 07:12 AM

25,454 posts, read 23,266,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I did notice it and I will be watching. I loved the one with Streisand too.
I love the concept of a new movie, however, I'm afraid, Streisand will always be there but not on screen for me? Hope not.

Old 09-28-2018, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I love the concept of a new movie, however, I'm afraid, Streisand will always be there but not on screen for me? Hope not.
It's been a long time since I've seen the Streisand version, so I'm fuzzy on it, but I think this new version is definitely strong enough and different enough to stand on its own.

Old 09-28-2018, 08:11 AM

17,884 posts, read 9,831,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I don't like Lady Gaga's music. Just not my thing. I hate nearly all modern pop music. But even I have to admit that she truly does have an amazing voice.
I never realized either Lady Gaga or Christina Aguilera really had those pipes until they worked with Tony Bennett.

Old 09-28-2018, 08:22 AM

15,072 posts, read 19,713,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I never realized either Lady Gaga or Christina Aguilera really had those pipes until they worked with Tony Bennett.
Yup. Both have great voices. It's a shame it is usually buried in over-produced studio-filler noise.

Lady Gaga especially is gifted and talented. I don't understand why she buries such a genuine talent under all the schtick.

Old 09-28-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Aguilera is astounding....

Old 09-28-2018, 08:55 AM

11,015 posts, read 13,630,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Check out her album with Tony Bennett. She has a great voice.

Old 09-28-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Check out her album with Tony Bennett. She has a great voice.
maybe that is why he chose her to play the part?

Old 09-28-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
maybe that is why he chose her to play the part?
I read that when Cooper was in the beginning stages of putting the film together, he attended a cancer benefit (his father had passed from cancer and led him to be involved in many cancer benefits) and Gaga was there singing "La Vie en Rose" (which is the song her character sings when his character first sees her). He was so impressed that he insisted on a meeting right away.

It's interesting because fathers have such a presence in the movie (his passed in his childhood, hers is still alive, Andrew Dice Clay) ... so it's interesting that the passing of Cooper's father kind of led him to find Gaga (who undoubtedly he already knew about, but he really saw her in a new way at this event)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or