U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 11:29 AM

12,111 posts, read 8,098,073 times

Advertisements

I remember the original movie loved it this one looks really good my wife and I both want too see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2018, 11:37 AM

11,014 posts, read 6,565,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I wonder - surely Cooper wasn't singing AND playing the guitar, was he? WOW.
Bradley Cooper was on Jimmy Fallon the other day and talked about that. He said he learned to play the guitar and piano for this role. All the close ups are of his actual fingers playing the chords, but the guitar wasnt plugged in during filming... or maybe it was that the amp wasn't on. So he way playing the guitar, but his playing wasnt what he heard.

Old 10-06-2018, 12:35 PM

54,140 posts, read 38,214,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Just saw it. Oh my....went to the Target next door to buy the Sound Track immediately....others were there, too, ha...Sold Out at $12.

Ok.. Bradley Cooper should get an Oscar nod as director and actor! And singer! Wow!
Miss Gaga is a-m-a-z-i-n-g....beautiful!
One of the best movies I have seen. Very raw and real....it will stay with me for a while.
Good to cast Sam Elliott as his very older brother.

Gaga was on Colbert the other evening, his only guest. It was apparent how intensely proud she was of this movie and how comfortably she's become a serious artist. I saw her interviewed once where she talked about her family and it was obvious despite some of her 'moments' like the meat dress she is truly 'old school' and has old school values. She has an album coming out of jazz tunes I look forward to hearing.

Old 10-06-2018, 02:42 PM

14,960 posts, read 8,529,518 times
It's doing solid box office so far.

Old 10-06-2018, 06:45 PM

27,438 posts, read 44,934,740 times
I have lusted to see this movie since the trailers came out....
Saw with my husband today and we both agreed--
AND THERE BE SPOILERS

Spoiler
Second half of movie lacks the spark that was there at beginning
They had great charisma initially and Cooper is very untypical star--not demanding or self-obsessed...
Of course the story after they get together is not the happy part but we both thought Ally (Lady Gaga's character) rolled over too easy and just leapt into the career dangled by this producer who totally changes her persona
It made her seem shallow and selfish because Cooper's character has some real emotional trauma to deal with and she just seems not to care--she just wants him to not drink...but doesn't seem to care why he does...no couples' therapy

Maybe we expected too much
Cooper was excellent and the film does give him more emotional catharsis to sort through
Just thought a better script would have shown her to be a deeper person
That is a real weakness when you weigh their characters...
Dave Chappell and Sam Elliott are both strong...

Old 10-06-2018, 07:07 PM

40,872 posts, read 32,642,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Hi Kathryn Did you know Bradley had to have a voice couch to lower his voice? My gosh ...he sounded like Sam Elliot! I'd love to here B as country soulful singer.
In interviews, as most prob know...the 2 of them adore each other professionally.
Lady Gaga au natural is so pretty and sweet.

Was he actually playing guitar.....here:
"You bet he is! Cooper revealed that he learned to play guitar for the role, taking around a year and a half of intensive music lessons in order to carry it off.
He actually appeared on stage at the 2017 Glastonbury Festival, using the festival set to film some scenes for A Star Is Born."

Oh and at other audience scenes only the first 5 rows could hear them!...they didn't want the songs to get out there before the opening.
Her fans for filming stopped screaming Gaga after awhile and shouted AMY!
Oh wow! That's really interesting information - thank you. And yes, I agree, Lady Gaga au naturale is absolutely charming and fresh and precious.

Old 10-07-2018, 06:55 PM

4,851 posts, read 8,318,483 times
Smile Saw it - it was good!

This was the first A Star is Born that I saw. Unfortunately, my husband who has seen almost every movie made told me the ending of the one made in the 1970's.

I enjoyed it.

Both were good and yes, you could feel the chemistry. I also like Lady Gaga better natural. She also looks so much younger.

My husband told he went out with a girl once and they watched the one made in the 1950's at her house.
I never realized this one was #4.

Last edited by Bette; 10-07-2018 at 07:47 PM..

Old 10-07-2018, 07:15 PM

27,438 posts, read 44,934,740 times
Does anyone think there will be Academy nomination for Best Song
If so which one?
I liked the last song Ally sings (the one Jackson wrote) better the second time I saw it than the first

Old 10-07-2018, 07:29 PM

7,951 posts, read 3,862,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Does anyone think there will be Academy nomination for Best Song
If so which one?
I liked the last song Ally sings (the one Jackson wrote) better the second time I saw it than the first

I'll put money on "Shallow" being nominated.

Old 10-07-2018, 07:37 PM

11,014 posts, read 6,565,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I'll put money on "Shallow" being nominated.
Yes, that's the one they officially released as a single and with a music video. It seems like the most likely choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or