U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 09:09 PM

3,472 posts, read 1,549,467 times

Advertisements

I liked it overall, had some flaws. I felt like too much time was spent on the musical numbers where I'd like to see more dialogue and character development. And though everyone knows how the story ends, I felt like Jackson's choice was more questionable bc he wasn't in the same frame of mind as the men in the 2 previous versions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2018, 09:53 PM

27,784 posts, read 45,384,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
compared to Barbara and Kris Kristofferson's "A Star is Born" what do you think?

I did not see this version yet?
Spoiler
Streisand's version was driven by her ego and Jon Peters's -- his first big movie--he went on to produce other winning films and is listed as producer on this version as well..Kristofferson's part is really cut out to give more room for Streisand--I saw her version first run and it is not her best film and not as good as this...but in this movie Cooper's Jackson Mayne is the true star...Ally is left to sing her solo at the end just as Streisand but it is far easier to mourn Jackson than the character Kristofferson played...
Judy Garland's movie is better than Streisand's IMO--have seen Garland/Mason's version several times

Old 10-09-2018, 10:02 PM

27,784 posts, read 45,384,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
I liked it overall, had some flaws. I felt like too much time was spent on the musical numbers where I'd like to see more dialogue and character development. And though everyone knows how the story ends, I felt like Jackson's choice was more questionable bc he wasn't in the same frame of mind as the men in the 2 previous versions.
Spoiler
yea--there was not lot of communication between them once they were together.
I thought Cooper was very good at letting us see he did still have a gift for music and part of his reason for drinking might have been he felt he had failed Ally in helping her stay true to HER own musical roots/energy vs being transformed by the soulless, uncaring producer who changed her totally...
She just seemed not really to care about Jackson'''s reasons for his addiction--sloughing it off as a "disease" is just an easy way to box it in--but she didn't really care why he had that disease or how she could help cure him of it...

Old 10-10-2018, 01:27 AM

8,910 posts, read 10,419,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJonesIII View Post
You're certainly entitled to your opinion. I'm not interested in seeing a trailer of a movie 6-7x a day (which is overhyped in my book). It's a remake. Hollywood is simply too cheap to take any chances any more.
It's been remade since the original in 1937. And it is fantastic.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:38 AM

971 posts, read 456,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yes, Dave Chappell is in it - a pretty decent but not huge role. It's a more serious role too. He does a good job.
Great! Canít wait to see it!

Old 10-10-2018, 11:06 AM

25,631 posts, read 23,524,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
This was the first A Star is Born that I saw. Unfortunately, my husband who has seen almost every movie made told me the ending of the one made in the 1970's.

I enjoyed it.

Both were good and yes, you could feel the chemistry. I also like Lady Gaga better natural. She also looks so much younger.

My husband told he went out with a girl once and they watched the one made in the 1950's at her house.
I never realized this one was #4.
tell your hubby he's a poop!!!!

I loved that movie, but then, both Barbara and Kris were idols of mine at the time.

Excellent movie.

Can't wait to see this one, Everyone seems to enjoy it....

Old 10-10-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yes, Dave Chappell is in it - a pretty decent but not huge role. It's a more serious role too. He does a good job.
I thought while watching a preview of it, that Sam Elliot is also in it?

Old 10-10-2018, 12:11 PM

8,177 posts, read 4,056,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I thought while watching a preview of it, that Sam Elliot is also in it?

Yep, and he and Cooper are quite believable as brothers. Perfect casting.

Old 10-10-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Yep, and he and Cooper are quite believable as brothers. Perfect casting.
Oh my gosh, brothers huh, can't wait to see it....
love Sam and Cooper...

Old 10-10-2018, 02:45 PM

492 posts, read 250,264 times
Anyone else see this and not like it? I might be the only one.

It's a very well done movie. Lady Gaga is great, I think Bradley Cooper is always a great actor. Loved the Dave Chappell, Sam Elliot, Andrew Dice Clay characters. Music is great.

I had not seen any previous versions, I did not know much about the plot or ending. Ultimately, as well as it was done, I came away feeling that I really didn't enjoy the movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or