U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 03:00 PM

15,098 posts, read 19,745,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
one thing i liked about HOHW, it was so realistic, none of what they did was unbelievable, that is likely how it would go if someone did try such a thing in real life.
And I liked both sides. In the Rangers scenes, I was rooting for the Rangers. In the bank robber scenes, I was rooting for the robbers. The only real villain in the whole movie was the banks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2018, 09:47 PM

9,309 posts, read 7,320,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I see there is another Jurassic Park movie coming out. Is this just yet another sign that Hollywood is out of ideas? This reminds me of how Terminator and movies related to Hannibal/Silence of the Lambs seem to come out every few years.
I never get why people accuse Hollywood of being out of ideas. People have all kinds of ideas for movies. The movie studios just choose to go with properties that have made money in the past. It's all about business.

Old 06-16-2018, 09:54 PM

17,958 posts, read 9,869,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I never get why people accuse Hollywood of being out of ideas. People have all kinds of ideas for movies. The movie studios just choose to go with properties that have made money in the past. It's all about business.
Hollywood puts out 400 to 600 movies every year. People just aren't going to see them.

Old 06-17-2018, 12:05 AM

7,058 posts, read 8,219,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
I'm OK with sequels as long as they're GOOD sequels. I've enjoyed all three of the new Star Trek movies for example. But, there are some (many) movies that should have been a one & done. The Matrix comes to mind. BTW, I notice that they already have a sequel to Hitman's Bodyguard in production.
Sequels can be great if the story needs to be continued. Many times though, one and done is good.

Old 06-17-2018, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Hollywood puts out 400 to 600 movies every year. People just aren't going to see them.
Yup. I think it is primarily economics. People used to go see an evening movie as a nice outing. Now that nice outing can cost two people $40 or more. Throw in a few kids, snacks, etc., and you're looking at close to $80 for a movie that you weren't all that keen on seeing. So you decide to stay home and watch it on DVD in 8 weeks.

That is what happens to most movies.

People will spend the money to go see the big blockbuster flicks on the big screen. The result: Hollywood churns out more unimaginative blockbusters with poor writing and no story, but starring all the big names and a huge effects budget.

Hollywood will continue to put out quality films every year. But you'll see most of them on TV.

Old 06-17-2018, 11:19 AM

17,958 posts, read 9,869,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Yup. I think it is primarily economics. People used to go see an evening movie as a nice outing. Now that nice outing can cost two people $40 or more. Throw in a few kids, snacks, etc., and you're looking at close to $80 for a movie that you weren't all that keen on seeing. So you decide to stay home and watch it on DVD in 8 weeks.

That is what happens to most movies.

People will spend the money to go see the big blockbuster flicks on the big screen. The result: Hollywood churns out more unimaginative blockbusters with poor writing and no story, but starring all the big names and a huge effects budget.

Hollywood will continue to put out quality films every year. But you'll see most of them on TV.
And that's not really a bad thing...if Hollywood would get the clue.

Old 06-22-2018, 04:31 PM

58 posts, read 14,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I see there is another Jurassic Park movie coming out. Is this just yet another sign that Hollywood is out of ideas? This reminds me of how Terminator and movies related to Hannibal/Silence of the Lambs seem to come out every few years.
The idea is to make money. When you ask investors to pony up nine figures to produce a film, they want to minimize their chances of losing money.

Jurassic World made over $1.6 billion on a budget of about $150 million.
Jurrassic Park III made over $350 million on a budget of less than $100 million.
The Lost World made over $600 million on a budget of less than $75 million.

That's why this franchise is continuing.

This is how the film industry has operated since its inception. How many James Bond films have there been for over half a century? Once Dracula was a hit in the early 1930s, there was a never-ending stream of vampire films for several decades, and even though the rate has fallen off we still get them fairly regularly. From the thirties to the sixties there was an endless production of western films, most of which followed two or three basic storylines. Why? In all cases, it was a way to make money.

There are many original and creative films. The existence of a few staple franchises doesn't change that. Indeed, the cash cows tend to provide capital for backing films that take chances.

Old 06-24-2018, 01:21 PM

2,941 posts, read 1,439,258 times
I thought the accepted formula was to make a sequel from popular and profitable movie until the sequel quits making money or the makers don't want to do it anymore. There have been a few sequels that ground themselves into the ground. There have been a few where the stars just didn't want to do it anymore.

I think we will have Batman, Superman, Thor, Star Wars, James Bond, the Avengers, Spiderman, and Wonder Woman for the foreseeable future. Not sure about Avatar or Terminator or Jurassic Whatever.

As has been noted the profitable movies pave the way for the gambles. Many of the gambles never see a major theater....straight to DVD. Look at Val Kilmers resume for example.

Old 06-24-2018, 08:05 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,535,998 times
I want to see an R-rated jurassic world

Something that will scare the crap out of me and make it hard to see at night like the descent or bone tomahawk

Old 06-25-2018, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
I want to see an R-rated jurassic world

Something that will scare the crap out of me and make it hard to see at night like the descent or bone tomahawk
That is exactly what James Cameron wanted to do with the first JURASSIC PARK, but Spielberg got the film rights before he did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or