U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 11:45 PM

6,309 posts, read 1,527,346 times

Advertisements

Ive seen this before, but its been a long time. Watched it again earlier tonight and realized how much I liked it. I had forgotten this particular Halloween didnt have Mike Meyers or any of his relatives, strangely they give a nod to the other Halloween movies by showing the first movie airing on regular tv.(that was pretty neat imo).

Upon thinking about the plot more, it really didnt make any sense, their whole plan was to kill as many kids as they could with the masks and special Stonehenge rock dust, as some kind of sacrifice, but it never explains what they ultimately plan on doing, or why this was important.

Ive been on a 70s and 80s horror movie binge lately though. I will have that 'silver shamrock song'' stuck in my head all day tomorrow now too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 06:30 AM

15,103 posts, read 19,745,581 times
I haven't seen the movie in probably 30 years or more, but even as a kid I didn't like this one very much. Too silly and unnecessarily mean. But to this day I still sing along to ...

"Three more days till Halloween, Halloween, Halloween.
Three more days till Halloween ...
SILVER SHAMROCK!"

Old 06-11-2018, 12:10 PM

583 posts, read 740,663 times
Halloween 3 was supposed to be a new direction for the franchise and to get away from Michael Myers. This was supposed to be the start of a new Halloween movie released every year which would be horror oriented but which would have nothing to do with the original.

Needless to say, it didn't work. A lot of people showed up expecting to see Michael rampaging again and were mad and confused by this story of celtic hoodoo. It was an attempt to be original but sometimes it's best to stick to the tried and true. The most unbelievable thing to me about the movie was why cutie pie Stacey Nelkin would have a thing for Tom Atkins.

Old 06-11-2018, 12:44 PM

5,601 posts, read 2,440,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Too silly and unnecessarily mean.
They've got "nice" horror movies out there for ya.

(And if you think that's not horror, look at Midler's face!)

Old 06-11-2018, 12:59 PM

5,445 posts, read 4,408,460 times
From what I can recall, the Halloween series was supposed to be a new scary story that takes place on Halloween, but it just didn't pan out. As for SOTW, I thought the movie was complete garbage and should have never been made. IMO, there was no 'scare', it was just cheesy and stupid.

Old 06-11-2018, 01:14 PM

2,592 posts, read 2,893,614 times
It's TIME kiddies, gather around and put on your Silver Shamrock masks! Yes, it was very mean and I loved it. This was the best one of the Halloween franchise, and I was very impressed with the special effects and gore of this picture, for the early 80's. The scene where they locked a test family in a suite, and the pulsating Silver Shamrock music starts playing faster and faster on the TV, and the kid with pumpkin mask kinda slumps over and all those thousands of spiders, cockroaches and snakes start pouring out of his head. Then the poisonous snakes attack the other members of the family and they are all dead within 5 minutes. How special was that? Very special, like the final chapter of Creepshow with the old racist guy in the penthouse apartment, who has a cockroach problem. It doesn't get any better than that.

Remember the scene with the woman who found the mask in her room, and she removed the Shamrock button and noticed the chip? She started picking at it with a pen or something and ZAP! Her whole face got melted off.....WOW..... just WOW, that was some heavy gore, and yet, it was not wanting for a cheap sex scene with nice hooter flashing like what we had become accustomed to in the Friday the 13th series of films. Halloween III had everything, it had great company goons as well, whom guarded the Silver Shamrock factory and disposed of interlopers and spies. The goons were a nice touch.

Old 06-11-2018, 01:54 PM

5,601 posts, read 2,440,274 times
^Rep'd!

Old 06-12-2018, 10:56 AM

6,309 posts, read 1,527,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
It's TIME kiddies, gather around and put on your Silver Shamrock masks! Yes, it was very mean and I loved it. This was the best one of the Halloween franchise, and I was very impressed with the special effects and gore of this picture, for the early 80's. The scene where they locked a test family in a suite, and the pulsating Silver Shamrock music starts playing faster and faster on the TV, and the kid with pumpkin mask kinda slumps over and all those thousands of spiders, cockroaches and snakes start pouring out of his head. Then the poisonous snakes attack the other members of the family and they are all dead within 5 minutes. How special was that? Very special, like the final chapter of Creepshow with the old racist guy in the penthouse apartment, who has a cockroach problem. It doesn't get any better than that.

Remember the scene with the woman who found the mask in her room, and she removed the Shamrock button and noticed the chip? She started picking at it with a pen or something and ZAP! Her whole face got melted off.....WOW..... just WOW, that was some heavy gore, and yet, it was not wanting for a cheap sex scene with nice hooter flashing like what we had become accustomed to in the Friday the 13th series of films. Halloween III had everything, it had great company goons as well, whom guarded the Silver Shamrock factory and disposed of interlopers and spies. The goons were a nice touch.
If you remember all the goons in gray suits were robots!

I thought Tom Adkins playing the doctor was hilarious, he tries to help the daughter of the guy that was killed and he ends up sleeping with her the first night, I also liked it when she was ready to go to the factory to start snooping around and Tom Adkins was like "its getting late, and I could use a drink". lol

I may be mistaken, but didnt Tom Adkins play the dad in the Halloween with Jamie Lee Curtis?

Old 06-12-2018, 11:08 AM

994 posts, read 712,879 times
All I really remember was:

How do you steal a megalith and ship it to America without anyone noticing?

Old 06-12-2018, 08:29 PM

2,592 posts, read 2,893,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
If you remember all the goons in gray suits were robots!

I thought Tom Adkins playing the doctor was hilarious, he tries to help the daughter of the guy that was killed and he ends up sleeping with her the first night, I also liked it when she was ready to go to the factory to start snooping around and Tom Adkins was like "its getting late, and I could use a drink". lol

I may be mistaken, but didnt Tom Adkins play the dad in the Halloween with Jamie Lee Curtis?
I don't see any credits for him in any other Halloween movie, but this was his first leading role and I think he did a good job with it. Yes, the goons were robots, which made it even better. But then the robot icing on the cake.... when his new found girlfriend is captured in the factory, they switched her out with a robot and he doesn't know it when he finds her laying on the table in the room and rescues her. After the destruction of the factory, he has quite a struggle with her in the car, he knocks her head off with a crow bar, but her body parts keep coming after him, her arm grabs him, the headless torso pops up and tries to get him. This part of the movie is quite amusing to me, lol.

Other nice touches, when the woman is picking at the chip with the bobby pin, and her face gets nuked, only a couple little spider bugs come out of her mouth, which is consistent with a misfire or warning shock. They save the full effect for the test family, but really, there could have been a greater number of crickets, spiders and roaches coming out like they did for Mr. Pratt on Creepshow. I said there were thousands, but after just watching again, it was probably only a hundred or so, but the snakes made up for it. They were kinda stingy with the bugs in this scene.

As with the other works of John Carpenter, the sound effects and music was pretty good in this, nice intro and fine display of early 80's electronic sounds and effects. It adds to the thrill and I like what he did in this one, nice intro, nice creepy feel with the town Santa Mira, which has a twilight zone feel to it when they arrive. Since this is in California, to answer Brucifers question (great screen name for this thread, Brucifer), they got it into the country the same way you would smuggle a bale of weed or a ton of coke, it's California so it was super easy to just wheel it across the border. It was just a big piece of stone, so would customs even give a crap if they saw in onboard a ship with other building stones and similar cargo?

I think this picture is almost as good as the Tom Selleck movie Runaway, with the electronics theme and the acid injecting spiders. Horror movies of this period were top notch. I lost interest in horror as we get past the Hellraiser Hellbound days and might have seen a couple of the Scream movies, but really don't have much interest in new horror these days. I still like watching a classic like this one, The Thing, and a few others come to mind, like Chucky and Killer Klowns from Outter Space, Silent Rage, The Entity, Jaws, Scanners. I was 16 when Halloween III was released, and being 16 always helps when you watch a horror film, lol.

Last edited by mofford; 06-12-2018 at 08:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies