U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 08:53 PM

20,071 posts, read 13,616,523 times

Advertisements

Burnt Offerings (1976)

Check out the cast!

Coma (1978)

Audrey Rose (1977)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 08:23 AM

11,204 posts, read 8,013,516 times
Poltergeist (1982) One of the scariest movies ever made
The Thing
Alien
Aliens

Old 06-19-2018, 08:59 AM

5,603 posts, read 1,360,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Did you watch Guillermo del Toro's recent film Crimson Peak?

Click Companies in the search tab and enter your keyword in the field.

https://www.imdb.com/
Thanks for all the great selections, Ive seen some of them, but many I have not, Crimson peak is one ive been meaning to watch, I love that lead actor, Tom Huddlston I think?

Someone mentioned Return of the Living dead, I used to love these movies, I think there are actually 5 of them now, but the first and third one were the only truly scary ones, the others are more comedies than anything, that girl who gets brought back in ROTLD 3 still gives me nightmares, her slow transformation into a zombie.

Old 06-19-2018, 10:13 AM

1,047 posts, read 835,796 times
Check out "The Hidden".

Old 06-19-2018, 04:11 PM

14,837 posts, read 19,526,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeGer View Post
Check out "The Hidden".
I can't find it.

Old 06-19-2018, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
Lifeforce, this is exactly what the OP wants, great special effects, one of a kind British horror film with alien invasion theme similar to They Live, as mentioned by markS. Make sure if you can make it thru The Fly, that you watch The Fly 2 as well, and for all you outlanders, Children of the Corn is a must. The Swarm was kinda cheezy, but you might like Orca, which was pretty good, and Cujo. Might want to check out Monkey Shines, because monkeys can be very scary too.

If you like sci/fi ones with a high tech/ electronics theme, Runaway, Halloween III Season of the Witch, Looker, Brainstorm, perhaps Maximum Overdrive might be a little too cheezy & low production for the OP, but worth a mention, and Duel was more of a thriller.

I think Return of the Living Dead was a fine film, you might check out Invasion of the Body Snatchers, The Thing, The Entity.

Silent Rage was a good one starring Chuck Norris, with Flounder from Animal House as his sidekick, awesome movie but it fits in the category of human killer so maybe is not what the OP is looking for.
I watched 'The Entity (1977) tonight...WOW, I loved it!!

I cannot believe this was a true story as well, that lady went thru some pretty extraordinary trauma, as well as there being so many credible witnesses too all of it, amazing!

Old 06-20-2018, 10:21 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,852,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I watched 'The Entity (1977) tonight...WOW, I loved it!!

I cannot believe this was a true story as well, that lady went thru some pretty extraordinary trauma, as well as there being so many credible witnesses too all of it, amazing!
Very intense scenes in The Entity, when the spirit attacks her. The way they dim the lights and turn the room red, the bionic sound effects and extraordinary strain on the mattress, yes, WOW. I was kinda hoping Lifeforce would get someone's attention, it was super sweet with the special effects. Someone mentioned Poltergeist, you can't do much better than that with the special effects, quality goes in before the name goes on, just watched Poltergeist III a couple weeks ago, and was reminded of how good that whole series was, cutting edge stuff, and it had a good balance between the lighter moments and scary stuff. The girl died in real life not long after III, so that adds some spook to the Poltergeist legacy.

Not sure if you like rat movies, there were a few of those in the early 70's like Ben and Willard which did not impress me all that much, but you should try and see the 2003 remake of Willard, with Lee Ermey. It's everything all previous rat movies aspire to be, and Lee Ermey, foe to the kid, makes it great.

Scanners was pretty good, but you might get a little headache from it. Glad you found some value in the Return of the Living dead series of movies, I knew there would be something good in there for you. I was fairly impressed with The Omen series of films but not sure if the whole demon child growing into adulthood thing would impress you much. Damien is so naughty in that series, and kind of an ungrateful little tyke, but he's pretty good with animals, like dogs and crows. He likes trains, pretty smart, willing to learn. You might like him if you give him a try, but don't get too close.

Old 06-20-2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
Very intense scenes in The Entity, when the spirit attacks her. The way they dim the lights and turn the room red, the bionic sound effects and extraordinary strain on the mattress, yes, WOW. I was kinda hoping Lifeforce would get someone's attention, it was super sweet with the special effects. Someone mentioned Poltergeist, you can't do much better than that with the special effects, quality goes in before the name goes on, just watched Poltergeist III a couple weeks ago, and was reminded of how good that whole series was, cutting edge stuff, and it had a good balance between the lighter moments and scary stuff. The girl died in real life not long after III, so that adds some spook to the Poltergeist legacy.

Not sure if you like rat movies, there were a few of those in the early 70's like Ben and Willard which did not impress me all that much, but you should try and see the 2003 remake of Willard, with Lee Ermey. It's everything all previous rat movies aspire to be, and Lee Ermey, foe to the kid, makes it great.

Scanners was pretty good, but you might get a little headache from it. Glad you found some value in the Return of the Living dead series of movies, I knew there would be something good in there for you. I was fairly impressed with The Omen series of films but not sure if the whole demon child growing into adulthood thing would impress you much. Damien is so naughty in that series, and kind of an ungrateful little tyke, but he's pretty good with animals, like dogs and crows. He likes trains, pretty smart, willing to learn. You might like him if you give him a try, but don't get too close.
Ive seen all the Omen films, including the updated 2006 one. I liked the older #3 movie, i think its called Omen"final conflict, it has Sam Neil playing the antichrist as an adult, although I was surprised they killed him off at the end, they really could have eeked out a 4th film in that series if they kept him alive, like showing all the things the bible said he would do, (limit buying and selling, invading Israel, forcing the mark of the beast, etc) and then have him do battle with God at the end!

I remember a friend and I watched Lifeforce when we were like 12 yrs old, I havent seen it since, but its on my list to watch again.

Old 06-20-2018, 04:42 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention i also watched 'Changeling' with George C Scott. It was pretty good, but I found the voice of that ghost boy, when he kept saying "Daddy, my medal', that was kind of goofy, Not sure if it was the voice or what! LOL

Old 06-25-2018, 10:11 PM

855 posts, read 380,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
HALLOWEEN. (The last shot lets us know Loomis was right. Michael isn't just a psycho.)

THE EXORCIST. (Still a classic.)

AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON. (Despite an ending that utterly fails, this remains the best werewolf movie ever made. "Mummy, a naked American man just stole my balloons.")

THE HOWLING. (The second best werewolf movie ever made.)

THE SENTINEL. (A 1977 flick that I admit I have not seen since I was a kid, but I remember it really creeped me out.)

THE CHANGELING. (George C. Scott? Check. A vengeful ghost? Check. A great moody horror flick. Check and mate!)

THE CAR. (So unbelievably bad that it's awesome.)

CREEPSHOW. (Goes without saying.)

THE FLY. (A remake that far surpasses the original.)

THE THING. (Ditto.)

THE DEAD ZONE. (Still one of the best Stephen King adaptations.)

GREMLINS. (Still the best Christmas horror movie.)

CHILDREN OF THE CORN. (Corny? Yes. Still fun.)

THEY LIVE! (I am here to recommend this movie and chew gum. And I'm all outta gum.)

THE FOG. (More great John Carpenter.)

CARRIE. (Actually better than the book.)

THE WICKER MAN. (The best British horror movie ever made. Despite the truly horrible music.)

THE AMITVYVILLE HORROR. (The "based on a true story" should be "based on a made-up story," but it's still a great horror flick.)

ALLIGATOR. (Why not?)
I'm surprised this list doesn't include "Phantasm".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or