U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 03:41 PM

19,946 posts, read 13,391,770 times

Advertisements

The Legacy (1978)

Starring Katharine Ross and Sam Elliott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 02:55 PM

5,009 posts, read 1,770,009 times
I am currently watching The Howling.

Old 07-06-2018, 03:11 PM

5,102 posts, read 2,167,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I am currently watching The Howling.

Old 07-06-2018, 05:26 PM

14,487 posts, read 19,223,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
The ending isn't a fail. It was a blue moon, as evidenced by the song used in the film.
The ending fails for two reasons. The first (and lesser) reason: Practicality. Nowhere on Earth can you have two full moons on consecutive nights. It is an astronomical impossibility. But that's a minor quibble.

More importantly, Landis does a GREAT job of setting up a tragic ending earlier in the movie when David and Alex are talking in bed. David is trying to come to grips with the fact that he has to die. But he wants his death to have meaning. He wants someone who loves him to help. The third act sets up that very possibility, then completely blows it with another Landis car bash, a brief bloodbath, then David gets shot by the cops in the alley. Utter disappointment. Landis set up a great ending then simply fell back on this go to ending: mayhem involving car crashes. See: THE BLUES BROTHERS and ANIMAL HOUSE. Also classics, I'll grant you. But Landis's inability to end a movie was showing by AAWiL.

Quote:
I love monsters and eco-horror. But Prophecy and its mutant bear are way cooler. And there's that sleeping bag runner.
I had totally forgotten about that movie. I don't think I've seen it since I was fourteen or so. I'll have to remedy that.

Old 07-06-2018, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
The ending fails for two reasons. The first (and lesser) reason: Practicality. Nowhere on Earth can you have two full moons on consecutive nights. It is an astronomical impossibility. But that's a minor quibble.
Suspension of disbelief. It's a werewolf movie. Just because it's set in Wales and London (which lends it a more authentic vibe) doesn't mean it's still not a werewolf movie.

Quote:
"With two decades of popular usage behind it, the second-full-moon-in-a-month (mis)interpretation is like a genie that can't be forced back into its bottle. But that's not necessarily a bad thing."
https://www.space.com/15455-blue-moon.html

Quote:
More importantly, Landis does a GREAT job of setting up a tragic ending earlier in the movie when David and Alex are talking in bed. David is trying to come to grips with the fact that he has to die. But he wants his death to have meaning. He wants someone who loves him to help. The third act sets up that very possibility, then completely blows it with another Landis car bash, a brief bloodbath, then David gets shot by the cops in the alley. Utter disappointment. Landis set up a great ending then simply fell back on this go to ending: mayhem involving car crashes. See: THE BLUES BROTHERS and ANIMAL HOUSE. Also classics, I'll grant you. But Landis's inability to end a movie was showing by AAWiL.
For that reason, I like The Howling better. I think it has a better payoff. The last time I watched AAWiL, its ending actually felt a bit anticlimactic.

Quote:
I had totally forgotten about that movie. I don't think I've seen it since I was fourteen or so. I'll have to remedy that.
You're going to hate it.

Old 07-06-2018, 06:13 PM

14,487 posts, read 19,223,701 times
Quote:
For that reason, I like The Howling better. I think it has a better payoff. The last time I watched AAWiL, its ending actually felt a bit anticlimactic.
THE HOWLING had a great ending, then kept going for five minutes. Dee Wallace turning into a shih tzu on TV? Really?

Quote:
You're going to hate it.
As long as I enjoy hating it.

Old 07-06-2018, 08:43 PM

Quote:
THE HOWLING had a great ending, then kept going for five minutes. Dee Wallace turning into a shih tzu on TV? Really?
It's a good ending however you cut it. And her "Lady Chewie" look at least fit her.

Quote:
As long as I enjoy hating it.
It's good trashy fun with a message, like C.H.U.D.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:00 PM

12,526 posts, read 20,702,939 times
Hellraiser
The Hunger
Vamp
Alien/s
CHUDD
Evil Dead
Return of the Living Dead
A Nightmare on Elm Street (original and III, skip the second)

Old 07-06-2018, 09:54 PM

12,805 posts, read 8,896,679 times
The Legend of Hell House (1973)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070294/?ref_=nv_sr_1
Physicist Lionel Barrett and his wife lead a team of mediums into the Belasco House, which is supposedly haunted by the victims of its late owner, a six-foot-five serial killer.

Old 07-07-2018, 08:17 AM

4,516 posts, read 1,097,375 times
I watched a couple of the Phantasm movies yesterday, the first and second one were pretty good. I didnt understand why the tall man was creating short dwarves though, if he wanted an army of undead servants, why not leave them normal height?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or