U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-03-2018, 03:41 PM
 
Location: The Jar
20,071 posts, read 13,624,501 times
Reputation: 36700

Advertisements

The Legacy (1978)

Starring Katharine Ross and Sam Elliott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-06-2018, 02:55 PM
 
Location: Texas
5,986 posts, read 2,149,014 times
Reputation: 12601
I am currently watching The Howling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2018, 03:11 PM
 
5,399 posts, read 2,335,241 times
Reputation: 3099
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I am currently watching The Howling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2018, 05:26 PM
 
Location: Maine
14,850 posts, read 19,537,323 times
Reputation: 16898
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
The ending isn't a fail. It was a blue moon, as evidenced by the song used in the film.
The ending fails for two reasons. The first (and lesser) reason: Practicality. Nowhere on Earth can you have two full moons on consecutive nights. It is an astronomical impossibility. But that's a minor quibble.

More importantly, Landis does a GREAT job of setting up a tragic ending earlier in the movie when David and Alex are talking in bed. David is trying to come to grips with the fact that he has to die. But he wants his death to have meaning. He wants someone who loves him to help. The third act sets up that very possibility, then completely blows it with another Landis car bash, a brief bloodbath, then David gets shot by the cops in the alley. Utter disappointment. Landis set up a great ending then simply fell back on this go to ending: mayhem involving car crashes. See: THE BLUES BROTHERS and ANIMAL HOUSE. Also classics, I'll grant you. But Landis's inability to end a movie was showing by AAWiL.


Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
I love monsters and eco-horror. But Prophecy and its mutant bear are way cooler. And there's that sleeping bag runner.
I had totally forgotten about that movie. I don't think I've seen it since I was fourteen or so. I'll have to remedy that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2018, 05:49 PM
 
5,399 posts, read 2,335,241 times
Reputation: 3099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
The ending fails for two reasons. The first (and lesser) reason: Practicality. Nowhere on Earth can you have two full moons on consecutive nights. It is an astronomical impossibility. But that's a minor quibble.
Suspension of disbelief. It's a werewolf movie. Just because it's set in Wales and London (which lends it a more authentic vibe) doesn't mean it's still not a werewolf movie.

Quote:
"With two decades of popular usage behind it, the second-full-moon-in-a-month (mis)interpretation is like a genie that can't be forced back into its bottle. But that's not necessarily a bad thing."
https://www.space.com/15455-blue-moon.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
More importantly, Landis does a GREAT job of setting up a tragic ending earlier in the movie when David and Alex are talking in bed. David is trying to come to grips with the fact that he has to die. But he wants his death to have meaning. He wants someone who loves him to help. The third act sets up that very possibility, then completely blows it with another Landis car bash, a brief bloodbath, then David gets shot by the cops in the alley. Utter disappointment. Landis set up a great ending then simply fell back on this go to ending: mayhem involving car crashes. See: THE BLUES BROTHERS and ANIMAL HOUSE. Also classics, I'll grant you. But Landis's inability to end a movie was showing by AAWiL.
For that reason, I like The Howling better. I think it has a better payoff. The last time I watched AAWiL, its ending actually felt a bit anticlimactic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I had totally forgotten about that movie. I don't think I've seen it since I was fourteen or so. I'll have to remedy that.
You're going to hate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2018, 06:13 PM
 
Location: Maine
14,850 posts, read 19,537,323 times
Reputation: 16898
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
For that reason, I like The Howling better. I think it has a better payoff. The last time I watched AAWiL, its ending actually felt a bit anticlimactic.
THE HOWLING had a great ending, then kept going for five minutes. Dee Wallace turning into a shih tzu on TV? Really?


Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
You're going to hate it.
As long as I enjoy hating it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2018, 08:43 PM
 
5,399 posts, read 2,335,241 times
Reputation: 3099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
THE HOWLING had a great ending, then kept going for five minutes. Dee Wallace turning into a shih tzu on TV? Really?
It's a good ending however you cut it. And her "Lady Chewie" look at least fit her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
As long as I enjoy hating it.
It's good trashy fun with a message, like C.H.U.D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2018, 09:00 PM
Status: "Back to 👩🏼*🏫" (set 20 days ago)
 
Location: South Bay Native
12,969 posts, read 20,997,852 times
Reputation: 22228
Hellraiser
The Hunger
Vamp
Alien/s
CHUDD
Evil Dead
Return of the Living Dead
A Nightmare on Elm Street (original and III, skip the second)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2018, 09:54 PM
Status: "Unvote Undemocracy! Go republican form." (set 14 days ago)
 
Location: Prepperland
13,025 posts, read 9,093,267 times
Reputation: 8901
The Legend of Hell House (1973)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070294/?ref_=nv_sr_1
Physicist Lionel Barrett and his wife lead a team of mediums into the Belasco House, which is supposedly haunted by the victims of its late owner, a six-foot-five serial killer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2018, 08:17 AM
 
5,622 posts, read 1,368,877 times
Reputation: 4215
I watched a couple of the Phantasm movies yesterday, the first and second one were pretty good. I didnt understand why the tall man was creating short dwarves though, if he wanted an army of undead servants, why not leave them normal height?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top