Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 12:23 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times

Advertisements

But with more of a supernatural/sci-fi/monster, aspect instead of human killer.

Ive seen too many 'horror' movies that were actually thrillers.

Ive watched alot of movies lately, but having trouble finding good ones worth watching, usually i can tell if its worth watching by which studio produced it (this is not always the case), but usually the movies made by unknown or small production companies have terrible filming, dialogue, acting, etc, some look like they were made with a camcorder!

Not sure if there is a way to search for movies based on production companies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2018, 02:44 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
HALLOWEEN. (The last shot lets us know Loomis was right. Michael isn't just a psycho.)

THE EXORCIST. (Still a classic.)

AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON. (Despite an ending that utterly fails, this remains the best werewolf movie ever made. "Mummy, a naked American man just stole my balloons.")

THE HOWLING. (The second best werewolf movie ever made.)

THE SENTINEL. (A 1977 flick that I admit I have not seen since I was a kid, but I remember it really creeped me out.)

THE CHANGELING. (George C. Scott? Check. A vengeful ghost? Check. A great moody horror flick. Check and mate!)

THE CAR. (So unbelievably bad that it's awesome.)

CREEPSHOW. (Goes without saying.)

THE FLY. (A remake that far surpasses the original.)

THE THING. (Ditto.)

THE DEAD ZONE. (Still one of the best Stephen King adaptations.)

GREMLINS. (Still the best Christmas horror movie.)

CHILDREN OF THE CORN. (Corny? Yes. Still fun.)

THEY LIVE! (I am here to recommend this movie and chew gum. And I'm all outta gum.)

THE FOG. (More great John Carpenter.)

CARRIE. (Actually better than the book.)

THE WICKER MAN. (The best British horror movie ever made. Despite the truly horrible music.)

THE AMITVYVILLE HORROR. (The "based on a true story" should be "based on a made-up story," but it's still a great horror flick.)

ALLIGATOR. (Why not?)

Old 06-17-2018, 03:28 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,137,018 times
Nothing wrong with the 21s century: The Mist (2007).

Thomas Jane, Toby Jones. And a revised (from the short story it was adapted from) that SK approved of.

Old 06-17-2018, 03:33 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
I couldn't handle the movie, The Fly. For some reason. Just creeped me out too much.

I've seen all kinds of horror and scary movies, but that's one I don't wanna see again.

Old 06-17-2018, 03:58 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,127,286 times
Lifeforce, this is exactly what the OP wants, great special effects, one of a kind British horror film with alien invasion theme similar to They Live, as mentioned by markS. Make sure if you can make it thru The Fly, that you watch The Fly 2 as well, and for all you outlanders, Children of the Corn is a must. The Swarm was kinda cheezy, but you might like Orca, which was pretty good, and Cujo. Might want to check out Monkey Shines, because monkeys can be very scary too.

If you like sci/fi ones with a high tech/ electronics theme, Runaway, Halloween III Season of the Witch, Looker, Brainstorm, perhaps Maximum Overdrive might be a little too cheezy & low production for the OP, but worth a mention, and Duel was more of a thriller.

I think Return of the Living Dead was a fine film, you might check out Invasion of the Body Snatchers, The Thing, The Entity.

Silent Rage was a good one starring Chuck Norris, with Flounder from Animal House as his sidekick, awesome movie but it fits in the category of human killer so maybe is not what the OP is looking for.

Last edited by mofford; 06-17-2018 at 04:07 PM..

Old 06-17-2018, 04:34 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
Silent Rage was a good one starring Chuck Norris, with Flounder from Animal House as his sidekick, awesome movie but it fits in the category of human killer so maybe is not what the OP is looking for.
Wow. I had forgotten all about SILENT RAGE. Shame on me. "Science created him. Now Chuck Norris must stop him."

How can that possibly go wrong?

Old 06-17-2018, 04:41 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,137,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I couldn't handle the movie, The Fly. For some reason. Just creeped me out too much.
1958 or 1986?

Old 06-17-2018, 05:18 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,613,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
Nothing wrong with the 21s century: The Mist (2007).

Thomas Jane, Toby Jones. And a revised (from the short story it was adapted from) that SK approved of.
King said he wished he'd thought of it, IIRC. Darabont's IS the better ending, I concur. Still, the novella should be read if you enjoy the movie.

Old 06-17-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
But with more of a supernatural/sci-fi/monster, aspect instead of human killer.
Did you watch Guillermo del Toro's recent film Crimson Peak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Not sure if there is a way to search for movies based on production companies?
Click Companies in the search tab and enter your keyword in the field.

https://www.imdb.com/

Old 06-17-2018, 06:09 PM

All legit choices except *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
HALLOWEEN. (The last shot lets us know Loomis was right. Michael isn't just a psycho.)

THE EXORCIST. (Still a classic.)

AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON. (Despite an ending that utterly fails, this remains the best werewolf movie ever made. "Mummy, a naked American man just stole my balloons.")
The ending isn't a fail. It was a blue moon, as evidenced by the song used in the film.

Quote:
THE HOWLING. (The second best werewolf movie ever made.)
I love this film. Landis' Werewolf's cinematography and FX are better, but this is a great movie nonetheless.

Quote:
THE SENTINEL. (A 1977 flick that I admit I have not seen since I was a kid, but I remember it really creeped me out.)
Another winner with a truly unique finale and an 11-on-a-10-scale payoff ending.

Quote:
THE CHANGELING. (George C. Scott? Check. A vengeful ghost? Check. A great moody horror flick. Check and mate!)

THE CAR. (So unbelievably bad that it's awesome.)

CREEPSHOW. (Goes without saying.)
Yeah, if you don't like Creepshow from the ground up, you've got a problem.

Quote:
FLY. (A remake that far surpasses the original.)

THE THING. (Ditto.)

THE DEAD ZONE. (Still one of the best Stephen King adaptations.)

GREMLINS.* (Still the best Christmas horror movie.)
This is barely a horror film.

Quote:
CHILDREN OF THE CORN. (Corny? Yes. Still fun.)

THEY LIVE! (I am here to recommend this movie and chew gum. And I'm all outta gum.)

THE FOG. (More great John Carpenter.)

CARRIE. (Actually better than the book.)

THE WICKER MAN. (The best British horror movie ever made. Despite the truly horrible music.)

THE AMITVYVILLE HORROR. (The "based on a true story" should be "based on a made-up story," but it's still a great horror flick.)

ALLIGATOR. (Why not?)
I love monsters and eco-horror. But Prophecy and its mutant bear are way cooler. And there's that sleeping bag runner.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies