U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 04:13 PM

2,988 posts, read 973,799 times

Advertisements

I saw it and I feel that the movie is misandrist and just left an unclean taste in my mouth after it was over. I mean mainly in the movie three women are driving and they are crashed into and run off the road by a violent driver (Stuntman Mike), so after the women escape him, they decide to go back and kill him by crashing into his car, and then beating him to death with their fists.

They then literally, literally jump on and cheer after, like three psychos. Now I know that the guy tried to kill them, from their point of view, but three characters, after they are safe, then all agree go back and murder the guy in cold blood, and then psychotically jump up and cheer about it after they do it.

Now you could argue that Mike deserved it cause of the female character he murdered prior in the story, but these new women, are completely unaware of that, so I have to view their actions from their point of view.

Now if the tables were turned and this were three male characters, who escaped the attack of a female character, and escaped to safety but then those men to decide to go back, hunt her down, beat her do death with their fists, and then jump and cheer about it after, it would definitely leave a bad a taste in viewers' mouths, in a similar direction.

And it's not just the climax and ending that is like that though, cause throughout various points of conversation in the movie the women characters talk about how much men suck, or how they hate their ex-boyfriends, etc.

Stuntman Mike is also the only main male character in the movie, so it's hard to find any male characters who are not as depraved in comparison. One of the other male characters for example, looks like he is going to prey on one of the female characters, after her friends decide to leave her alone with him, and this is never referred back to.

So when you have all this compounded together with the offensive climax, I felt the movie made for quite the misandrist viewing experience, which I am surprised by, since Tarantino never felt the need to make a movie that delivers that kind of experience before.

Unless I am looking at it the wrong way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 07:19 AM

2,753 posts, read 1,409,077 times
Id have to look up the definition to answer

But that movie sucked

Old 06-19-2018, 07:36 AM

15,089 posts, read 19,732,985 times
Well, if it makes you feel any better: I've never even heard of this movie. Sounds like it went quickly into a justly deserved oblivion.

Old 06-20-2018, 05:27 PM

Oh okay, I'm surprised if many people haven't heard of this movie, since it's a Quentin Tarantino movie.

Old 06-20-2018, 08:19 PM

25,412 posts, read 14,509,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Well, if it makes you feel any better: I've never even heard of this movie. Sounds like it went quickly into a justly deserved oblivion.
It was the second half of the double feature known as Grindhouse and directed by Tarrantino. That said, I think the issue isn't it is an anti-male movie, but rather a typical horror film like say Alien or Halloween with a strong female lead. That said, the horror antagonist isn't as scary as other characters.

Old 06-20-2018, 08:28 PM

But there's a huge distinction there though. I like a good strong female lead, but you don't see the women from Alien or Halloween, beating a helpless man to death with their fists, and then jumping up and down and cheering themselves on psychotically over it.

Old 06-20-2018, 09:29 PM

25,412 posts, read 14,509,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
But there's a huge distinction there though. I like a good strong female lead, but you don't see the women from Alien or Halloween, beating a helpless man to death with their fists, and then jumping up and down and cheering themselves on psychotically over it.
No they didn't, they were more dejected but it is somewhat common in Tarantino films with death. It is like a commentary on violence in America being glorified.

Old 06-21-2018, 06:57 AM

17,917 posts, read 9,849,196 times
The movie was intentionally designed to be wrong at so many levels that it would become a cult film because it is wrong on so many levels. It's like the movie version of Poe's Law.

Old 06-21-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
No they didn't, they were more dejected but it is somewhat common in Tarantino films with death. It is like a commentary on violence in America being glorified.
I guess, but I feel that Tarantino really didn't handle that kind of subject matter well in this one compared to other works of his.

Old 06-21-2018, 05:18 PM

1,784 posts, read 1,147,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I saw it and I feel that the movie is misandrist and just left an unclean taste in my mouth after it was over. I mean mainly in the movie three women are driving and they are crashed into and run off the road by a violent driver (Stuntman Mike), so after the women escape him, they decide to go back and kill him by crashing into his car, and then beating him to death with their fists.

They then literally, literally jump on and cheer after, like three psychos. Now I know that the guy tried to kill them, from their point of view, but three characters, after they are safe, then all agree go back and murder the guy in cold blood, and then psychotically jump up and cheer about it after they do it.

Now you could argue that Mike deserved it cause of the female character he murdered prior in the story, but these new women, are completely unaware of that, so I have to view their actions from their point of view.

Now if the tables were turned and this were three male characters, who escaped the attack of a female character, and escaped to safety but then those men to decide to go back, hunt her down, beat her do death with their fists, and then jump and cheer about it after, it would definitely leave a bad a taste in viewers' mouths, in a similar direction.

And it's not just the climax and ending that is like that though, cause throughout various points of conversation in the movie the women characters talk about how much men suck, or how they hate their ex-boyfriends, etc.

Stuntman Mike is also the only main male character in the movie, so it's hard to find any male characters who are not as depraved in comparison. One of the other male characters for example, looks like he is going to prey on one of the female characters, after her friends decide to leave her alone with him, and this is never referred back to.

So when you have all this compounded together with the offensive climax, I felt the movie made for quite the misandrist viewing experience, which I am surprised by, since Tarantino never felt the need to make a movie that delivers that kind of experience before.

Unless I am looking at it the wrong way?

You are. The entire movie is basically a SPOOF or homage on 1970's era Grindhouse style Drive-in theater movies. If you are fairly young, and weren't ever able to go to a drive-in theater during the 1970's, I can understand you not getting the movie. It's intentionally "over the top" and fits right in with many movies made for drive-in theaters back then,

Drive-ins were discriminated against by the companies that made movies (which ALSO owned most walk-in theaters, and they didn't want competition), and not allowed to show first-run "A" movies, only B through Z quality movies. So the movies they did show, were specially made to be shown at drive-ins. That means they were cheaply made, and almost always a double feature at a minimum. That's why it was shown with Planet Terror, the zombie movie when it came out in theaters (which is where I saw them). I loved Planet Terror! LOL I didn't so much love Death Proof, only because I didn't like the fact that Kurt Russell played the bad guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or