U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 11:45 AM

16,841 posts, read 51,301,408 times

Advertisements

1. Shooting tires out is much harder than it looks. This comes from conversations with a retired cop with a perfect range score.

2. Pulling up or destroying train tracks is nigh-on impossible. If you look at flood pictures where railroad beds are washed out, hundreds of feet of track will still be in place, sagging over the gaps. One logging railroad even had suspended tracks with NO supports. Look at the section on "Hanging Bridge" https://www.familygardentrains.com/p...er_history.htm

Some of his other observations are valid. Some plot holes in movies are akin to "escape hatches" where the squeamish can think their way out, some are designed as flaws to prevent real-life people from trying various stunts and destructive actions. Some are just laziness.

Deconstructing plots is common among writers, people who work in the industry, people who happen to have knowledge of the subject matter or setting, and folks with an engineering background. Unless pressed, the spoilers are usually held close to the chest. It isn't "thinking too hard." For some of us it is ridiculously easy. Generally, we also know within the first twenty minutes of an average film how it is going to turn out.

The fun part comes in good cozy mysteries, or in movies where the editor and director were told to change the ending. The tag ending at the end of "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" is an obvious example. Without the tag, the film is more ominous and dark. In watching "DOA" it is apparent that either the writer or director was flirting with the idea of making the girlfriend the heavy.

Sometimes movies won't work without plot holes. In "Silver Streak," a real deadman switch works nothing like the one in the film, but the plot depends on the plot hole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2018, 12:03 PM

1,109 posts, read 857,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Oh! Tell him to check out cinesma sins on You tube!!!
LOL! Nice find.

Old 06-24-2018, 12:23 PM

5,751 posts, read 3,035,945 times
While all movies are fiction, ultimately that fiction depends upon the willingness and ability to suspend disbelief. Part of that suspension is it has to be internally self consistent. That is, whatever "universe" the movie exists in, then the story is consistent with that universe. To use the Superman example, we are willing to suspend disbelief in his ability to fly because it is a central part of the story line and is therefore internally self consistent with a universe that has superman in it. In contrast, a movie that exists within our universe will stick out like a sore thumb when, for example the wire work, isn't consistent with the rules of that universe.

That ability to suspend disbelief is also where plot holes and various story line tricks come in to destroy the disbelief for many of us. You become one with the movie and then suddenly there comes this plot hole that breaks us out of the world of disbelief so essential to the movie and then makes us the outside observer finding other plot holes.

For me Sci Fi is one of those universes. I can suspend a lot of disbelief for a good Sci Fi movie, so long at it's self consistent. Then along comes JJ Abrams and ruins it by ignoring all the rules put in place for that universe.

Old 06-24-2018, 03:11 PM

4,804 posts, read 1,351,350 times
Why don't you instead set him up with movies that are about interpersonal relationships, instead of action movies? Then at least you could attribute any lapses of logic to human nature.

Old 06-24-2018, 06:25 PM

2,934 posts, read 964,578 times
But he likes action movies.

Old 06-24-2018, 06:27 PM

27,448 posts, read 17,619,243 times
I don't think there is any such thing as a realistic action movie.

Maybe he just enjoys picking them apart.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 06-24-2018, 06:30 PM

But he doesn't enjoy it and gets frustrated. In The Dark Knight, when Gordon had a chance to shoot Joker and didn't take it, he turned it off and walked away.

Old 06-24-2018, 06:38 PM

15,560 posts, read 9,584,514 times
maybe ask him what he expects from a movie. Remind him that in movies, the good guy can get shot in the chest and be cured in 2-3 days. Always sees what nobody else does. Rides off into the sunset with the beautiful woman.

Bad guys always end up dead, unless a sequel is expected. Then they just end up in jail.

Old 06-24-2018, 07:30 PM

11,611 posts, read 5,449,768 times
You are similar. You watch like a critic and get frustrated when it doesn't go the way you think it should.

Old 06-24-2018, 09:30 PM

Do you mean cause of the Breaking Bad thread I made? I still like the show and still like many of the movies I debated about, it's just not everything I feel is perfect. But I still like a lot of them, where as he dismisses a lot more compared to me I feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or