U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 09:55 PM

11,124 posts, read 5,196,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Do you mean cause of the Breaking Bad thread I made? I still like the show and still like many of the movies I debated about, it's just not everything I feel is perfect. But I still like a lot of them, where as he dismisses a lot more compared to me I feel.
I understand you don't turn them off the way he does, but it's not just Breaking Bad. You have multiple threads asking why do people like such and such movie? Or asking if people agree that such and such was totally overrated, since you found so many flaws with it.

I think your thread about 'Get Out' was the first one I read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2018, 10:14 PM

Quote:
But he doesn't enjoy it and gets frustrated. In The Dark Knight, when Gordon had a chance to shoot Joker and didn't take it, he turned it off and walked away.
I forget now why he didn't. Wasn't there a moral reason?

Old 06-24-2018, 10:20 PM

2,692 posts, read 895,701 times
Basically the Joker put a knife to Batman's throat, like he was going to kill him and Gordon just pressed his shotgun against Joker instead of shooting him. My dad said cops in real life shoot people with knives all the time, especially if that same person had just taken out a police helicopter full of cops. That's true I guess they would shoot in real life, so maybe my dad had trouble suspending his disbelief there.

Old 06-24-2018, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Basically the Joker put a knife to Batman's throat, like he was going to kill him and Gordon just pressed his shotgun against Joker instead of shooting him. My dad said cops in real life shoot people with knives all the time, especially if that same person had just taken out a police helicopter full of cops. That's true I guess they would shoot in real life, so maybe my dad had trouble suspending his disbelief there.
I'm 99% it was a morality issue. He was fighting to retain his humanity, not letting the Joker turn him into a monster like him. It wouldn't have been a justified killing.

Old 06-24-2018, 10:28 PM

38,130 posts, read 36,926,545 times
Quote:
... maybe my dad had trouble suspending his disbelief there.
Or maybe he likes to feel superior by criticizing all the time.

People like your dad are an absolute drudge to watch movies with. Sometimes it's okay to overlook mistakes and just ... be entertained.

Old 06-24-2018, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I'm 99% it was a morality issue. He was fighting to retain his humanity, not letting the Joker turn him into a monster like him. It wouldn't have been a justified killing.
I guess but cops in real life would have opened fire on the Joker, so if that's loosing your humanity, then why does Gordon care, if the average real life cop would not? Maybe my dad just needed this character trait of Gordon to be explored more.

He says that Gordon was stupid to take Joker alive, cause Joker is a threat that would do more damage, would turned out to be the case.

He also gave the movie another chance and watched the rest later.

He said it made no sense as to why Harvey Dent didn't shoot Joker, since Joker came up to him and tied him down at the hospital. He said why wouldn't Harvey shoot him since Joker not only killed his fiance but would continue killing more and more, if someone doesn't shoot him down.

Perhaps my Dad has a point there.

Old 06-24-2018, 11:30 PM

26,808 posts, read 17,234,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Or maybe he likes to feel superior by criticizing all the time.

People like your dad are an absolute drudge to watch movies with. Sometimes it's okay to overlook mistakes and just ... be entertained.
Right. I'm mean, gosh, nothing in the movies is very realistic.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum (on loan)

Old 06-24-2018, 11:57 PM

2,483 posts, read 7,500,948 times
I tend to avoid movies and tv shows that depict my profession because the writers often get the details wrong, and it detracts from the realism. While I can be forgiving of a certain amount of artistic license, if the error is so egregious that it pulls me out of the story, I'm done. A recently popular television show lost me during the first episode for just that reason. I don't think it's reasonable to expect realism from comic book movies, though.

Old 06-25-2018, 12:03 AM

What is your profession, out of curiosity? Law enforcement? What show was that?

Old 06-25-2018, 12:05 AM

Quote:
I guess but cops in real life would have opened fire on the Joker, so if that's loosing your humanity, then why does Gordon care, if the average real life cop would not? Maybe my dad just needed this character trait of Gordon to be explored more.

He says that Gordon was stupid to take Joker alive, cause Joker is a threat that would do more damage, would turned out to be the case.

He also gave the movie another chance and watched the rest later.

He said it made no sense as to why Harvey Dent didn't shoot Joker, since Joker came up to him and tied him down at the hospital. He said why wouldn't Harvey shoot him since Joker not only killed his fiance but would continue killing more and more, if someone doesn't shoot him down.

Perhaps my Dad has a point there.
OK, so

1) it's a super-hero movie and not remotely intended to be realistic about what police/the DA IRL would do. Real life police don't have a Batman.

2) To misunderstand that scene is in part to have not understood anything about the movie at all, or the motivations of the main characters. This is a battle for the soul of Gotham. Killing the Joker would not have won that battle.

3) He didn't shoot the Joker because the coin toss turned in the Joker's favor.

You can read more about both in these two links:

https://www.quora.com/How-does-Harve...k-Knight-movie

Two-Face's Coin | Batman Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or