U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 12:16 PM

9,665 posts, read 5,658,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dark View Post
Le Mans (1971)
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
It's Formula 1 rather than muscle cars, but "Grand Prix" is well worth checking out. Certainly some of the best camera work of any racing movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWFLETQRfnQ
^ These two.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2018, 12:36 PM

3,406 posts, read 1,959,034 times
Gumball Rally

Old 06-29-2018, 02:34 PM

749 posts, read 214,778 times
Quote:
Does anybody remember "Red Line 7000", starring James Caan?

I saw it in the theater when I was a kid, and as much as I liked cars, all I remember was having been more impressed by the first feature, "The Long Ships", with Richard Widmark.
I saw that Redline 7000 at the drive-in when I was a little dude too. At the beginning of the movie there was a crash and the driver runs out of the wrecked racing car. He was totally engulfed in fire. That scene gave me nightmares for weeks.

Old 06-29-2018, 02:46 PM

749 posts, read 214,778 times
Couple of other good cheesy car movies from back in the day. Hot Rods to Hell and the The Lively Set. Also Elvis Presley in Viva Las Vegas features what are now classic vintage race cars in action.

Old 06-29-2018, 07:02 PM

25,384 posts, read 14,485,848 times
Cars
Cars 3
Days of Thunder
The Fast & the Furious (there is a LOT of car stuff in the first one in particular.)

Old 06-29-2018, 09:25 PM

8,829 posts, read 8,959,075 times
Quote:
Does anybody remember "Red Line 7000", starring James Caan?
Yes! That's a good classic too!

Old 06-29-2018, 09:26 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,269,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post

The Blues Brothers (gotta love the mall scene)

Ah yes. We've got a full pack of cigarettes, a half of tank of gas, it's dark out and we're wearing sunglasses.

Old 06-29-2018, 09:49 PM

510 posts, read 704,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
It's a George Barris modified 1971 Lincoln Continental Mark III. Really ominous looking.
Yep, it was perfect for that movie.

Old 06-30-2018, 09:07 PM

2,586 posts, read 2,887,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
Ah yes. We've got a full pack of cigarettes, a half of tank of gas, it's dark out and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit It ! But actually, he said "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we have a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses. The full tank of gas was very important, as the way Elwood drives, and the nature of a '74 Dodge Monaco with 440, they never could have made it to Chicago without a full tank of gas, I know, I had a '75 Plymouth Fury with a 360, it got 9 MPG. In the director's cut, they attempt to explain some of the amazing properties of the Bluesmobile, showing where Elwood parks it. He parks it inside an E-train power utility station, next to a high voltage transformer. This helps explain the amazing back flipping ability, plus they we're on a mission from god. The trip from Lake Wazzapamani back to Chicago was amazing, and fun to watch too, especially Lower Wacker drive and Daley Plaza, that was very special, as was the disintegration of the Bluesmobile, the only sad part of the movie besides having to go to prison, where they had even more fun at the end.

What people need to know when watching The Blues Brothers, there was a severe overstock of Chrysler products in the US, in 1979, to spite the diligent efforts of Ricardo Montalban & Lee Iacocca. Between The Blues Brothers and The Dukes of Hazzard, with some help from CHIPS, half of the surplus Chrysler inventory was liquidated and soon those Omni's, K cars and mini vans would save the company. The Blues Brothers helped save Chrysler, by buying those older models and helping the company recover. Yeah, this movie was kinda silly like Cannonball Run, but with Cannonball, you watch it for the cars, and the stars. Cannonball Run was loaded with cameo shots from just about every big name actor still alive at that time, with special efforts from Dom Deluise, an important figure in Hollywood during that time.

Used Cars is another funny one, with Jack Warden and Kurt Russel, you should watch it before you buy another car. Learn the inside secrets to a successful car dealership, lol, advertising is important, like when you hack a satellite uplink carrying president Carter's speech, to show a fantastic used car commercial from a fine automobile wholesaler. They had a mile of cars! Check out Jack Warden in So Fine (1981), where they are selling a new line of blue jeans, with the ass cheek part torn out, not a car movie, but just thought I would mention it.

You must watch CHIPS to experience America's crappiest cars, most of which were crushed after they were 3 to 6 years old, because they were so crappy.

Old 07-03-2018, 03:54 PM

27,442 posts, read 44,934,740 times
Used Cars is funny
The Robin Williams movie where he is the car salesman and is held hostage by husband of the woman he is having affair with is funny too--forgot the name--

There is Hispanic culture film about low riders--that might be the name of the movie--that came out last year--about the art work used and gang culture

Also in the movie Kevin Costner did where he was teacher/coach at lower income school in CA inland valley--he coached the cross country team--there were scenes w/low-rider cars--
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or