U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 08:31 PM

8,566 posts, read 6,783,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I seriously wonder how any adult, could enjoy the majority of today's movies. Especially seniors. The quality and storylines of today's films are lacking, and that's being polite.

So a AMC subscription. good Luck with that
Describe some of the storylines from the movies you like and you'll probably find they are similar to current movies. Love stories, sci fi, heist films, natural disasters, westerns, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 11:21 AM

17,036 posts, read 8,068,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwh View Post
Not going to try it because AMC is owned by China
As a realtor, would you sell a house for or to a Chinese national?
Or do you just boycott movie theater companies that you don't relate to?

Old 07-05-2018, 03:46 PM

9,877 posts, read 6,044,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I guess I will have to read up on it--we are here until middle of August so maybe do it for 2 mo
Its a minimum of a 3 month commitment when signing up.

My SO and I considered signing up, but since we typically pay $5-$8 to see a movie, we'd have to see at least 4 movies each month for it to be worth it. There's not typically a 12 week period where we are consistently going to the movies.

Plus our local AMC is at a mall that is about 80% vacant, so I don't really want to commit to 3 months when it could be announced at anytime that the mall, along with the AMC, is closing.

Old 07-05-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Things to consider:

1. You can do advanced reservations.
2. IMAX and 3D are included.
3. Free upgrades on popcorn and drinks.
4. You get a 10% rebate on concession purchases.
5. Could be good if you want to do repeat viewings of the same movie.
I'm always confused by this perk, the free upgrades. The AMC I go to doesn't have a medium popcorn and soda combo, and to buy a medium popcorn and soda separately is the same price as a large popcorn/soda combo. So the free upgrade is basically there for anyone who orders the lg combo instead of the medium popcorn and soda. Is my theater's pricing just weird, or is this perk for those who only want popcorn, or only want a drink?

Old 07-05-2018, 09:10 PM

24,301 posts, read 13,842,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I'm always confused by this perk, the free upgrades. The AMC I go to doesn't have a medium popcorn and soda combo, and to buy a medium popcorn and soda separately is the same price as a large popcorn/soda combo. So the free upgrade is basically there for anyone who orders the lg combo instead of the medium popcorn and soda. Is my theater's pricing just weird, or is this perk for those who only want popcorn, or only want a drink?
AMC actually got rid of medium recently actually so you buy a large at the price of a small. AMC Stubs Premier has this perk already though...

Old 07-05-2018, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
AMC actually got rid of medium recently actually so you buy a large at the price of a small. AMC Stubs Premier has this perk already though...
The AMC I go to still has mediums, or at least they still did today.

Old 07-06-2018, 11:00 AM

24,301 posts, read 13,842,940 times
Quote:
After watching a video apparently Stubs Premier is included in Stubs A-List. I didn't realize that. That said, your $21 and change isn't included in your stubs points to my knowledge, nor is each movie you see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
The AMC I go to still has mediums, or at least they still did today.
Hmmm, I think they are phasing them out slowly.

Old 07-06-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
After watching a video apparently Stubs Premier is included in Stubs A-List. I didn't realize that. That said, your $21 and change isn't included in your stubs points to my knowledge, nor is each movie you see.
Yes, A-list includes all the Premier perks, plus the 3 movies a week. You don't get points for each movie you see, but you do get points on the monthly subscription fee.

Quote:
Hmmm, I think they are phasing them out slowly.
Did your theater always have the small option, or was medium replaced with small? The AMCs that I go to don't have a small option. Which I'm not surprised. With the Coke freestyle machines being out in the lobby area, who wouldn't go for a small drink and just get refills.

Old 07-06-2018, 06:36 PM

13,188 posts, read 12,951,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I seriously wonder how any adult, could enjoy the majority of today's movies. Especially seniors. The quality and storylines of today's films are lacking, and that's being polite.
I agree. When I was growing up, our family and all our friends frequented movie theaters all the time, especially in the summer. Even into my 30s I felt as if there were always GREAT movies to go out to a theater to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
We just like the movies
I think it is a very different experience viewing in a cinema vs on screen at home
I love the movies, too....and agree that viewing them at home is not the same experience. I'm just sorry that there are so few good ones out there right now to see. There are always so many from about Nov-Feb (Academy Award time) and then the quality drops off. The summer blockbuster seems to have disappeared. (Other than those geared toward 12 year old boys, which is fine, but what about summer films for the rest of us?)

Old Today, 07:40 AM

25,126 posts, read 43,722,956 times
We go to the movies once week at least
More often if new release favor our interests
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies