Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 12:51 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,642,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotthouse View Post
The other day I got a movie called "BEST DEFENSE" (1984) and I read some reviews on IMDB saying it was horrible..

I got 38 mins in and shut it off....... What a piece of garbage!! (For once I agree with the reviews)
As for me, I tried to watch "Deepwater Horizon" but got too overwhelmed by the events. I was working in Florida at the time for the state. Back then, it was a huge disaster in the Gulf of Mexico and all its coastal states: TX, LA, MS, AL and FL. I remember oil slicks kept coming on shore, and the entire lifestyle was disrupted: beach culture, fishing, diving, boating, hunting, etc. Then businesses shut down and the state cancelled a lot of contracts that subsequent year. It had a horrible economic effect. So, I just couldn't finish watching that movie - the "perfect storm" of petroleum engineering mistakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 06:23 AM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
I watched Death Wish (Charles Bronson) again right after seeing the remake with Bruce Willis. I was immediately turned off by Paul Keirsey being a doctor in the new one vs an architect in the original and the new one went down from there...and I like Bruce Willis. Then I watched the old Death Wish II. I must say, in the older Death Wish I liked seeing Jeff Goldblum as a rapist murderer and in Death Wish II, Laurence Fishburne as a rapist murderer. Surprisingly, I thought the originals had more graphic rape scenes than the remake.

But the last movie I tried to watch was "Chappaquiddick." Stuck with it but it never got better. Read the book, "Senatorial Privilege" by Leo Damore and skip the movie. The movie tries to straddle the fence too much and the guy who played Kennedy didn't do a good job as a lead actor. Since I was actually alive (18) when the real incident occurred, the movie lacked impact.

Old 07-17-2018, 06:34 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,483,389 times
Since I don't have this maniacal mission to watch endless movies, I pick and choose what to watch. Almost never am I so bad at this that the movie is unwatchable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotthouse View Post
The other day I got a movie called "BEST DEFENSE" (1984) and I read some reviews on IMDB saying it was horrible..

I got 38 mins in and shut it off....... What a piece of garbage!! (For once I agree with the reviews)
IMDB isn't perfect, but it's a pretty good measure of films. Best Defense gets 3.6 on IMDB. 3.6! You almost have to be trying to be bad to make something that slips below a 4 on IMDB. Toss in the premise - a military/Cold War comedy starring Eddie Murphy and Dudley Moore - and it's beyond me why anyone would even think of watching this movie, much less do so.

Old 07-17-2018, 02:38 PM

727 posts, read 151,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200
Eddie Murphy himself castigated his movie, "Best Defense" about how terrible it was when he returned to Saturday Night Live as a guest presenter sometime around 1985. But he quickly noted how he made up for it in "Beverly Hills Cop" and the audience cheered.
Yes and he sure did huh?

Beverly Hills cop 1,2 and 3 are excellent!!! (I like 1 and 3 the best)

Old 07-20-2018, 01:31 PM

919 posts, read 789,509 times
i couldn't get through "Ready Player One". I couldnt take watching what looked like a video game rather than a live movie. Plus it was just a bunch of vehicles racing around and blowing things up.

Old 07-23-2018, 05:54 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,306,731 times
The Pirates of the Caribbean - I figured since there were so many sequels that the first one had to be good. I was bored and turned it off after 30 minutes.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:43 AM

7,245 posts, read 7,071,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Them's fightin' words!!!
Fight away. Some of the music was ok but that's its only redeeming aspect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies