U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 07:33 AM

4,103 posts, read 3,390,521 times

Advertisements

No, you are not the only one who cringes I really have a deep and abiding love for animals. especially horses. I have worked in the thoroughbred racing industry for many years and it is heartbreaking when one has to be put down for a variety of reasons.

Oddly enough whenever I see animals in movies specifically horses which seem to be in a number of movies with violent images of them flipping completely over or being targeted by "enemy combatants" because there is a rider aboard and in order to disable the rider the horse becomes the target.

There are always many sides to this necessary and legal 'protection' of animals and the standards are not always what we believe or expect them to be.

It is very upsetting to me for any animal to be harmed but horses are huge animals but truly are vulnerable to injuries and 'upsets' if proper cautions and care are not taken.

IMPROVING OUR ABILITY TO PROTECT ANIMALS ON SET

We recently completed an update of American Humane’s Guidelines for the Safe Use of Animals in Filmed Media as part of our continuing effort to address new knowledge, experience and techniques regarding the use of animals in filmed entertainment. The June 2009 update is part of our ongoing work to determine better and safer practices for protecting animals in filmed entertainment.

https://www.americanhumane.org/publi...ersfilmmakers/

Flaws Seen in Protection of Animals on the Set

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/15/b...uestioned.html

Flaws Seen in Protection of Animals on the Set

Three horses died in the filming of “Luck,” prompting HBO to cancel the series.

Still, animals sometimes are harmed, and when they are, the public outcry is swift. A year ago, after a third horse was injured and euthanized on the HBO series “Luck” — the horse reared, flipped over backward and struck her head on the ground — the company announced the next day that it was canceling the show.

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/15/b...uestioned.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 01:13 PM

727 posts, read 67,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee
Am I the only who cringes every time I'm watching a new movie and I see a dog or a cat - last night it was a chicken. And I cringe, because I'm sure before the movie is over, something terrible will have happened to the animal. Last night it was the chicken, the night before a golden retriever. WTH, can't they ever make a movie and NOT harm the animals?
Yes a very good movie called "THE CAT FROM OUTER SPACE" (1978) is def worth seeing!!

I havent seen it in many years but that kitty ('Jake' if I remember right) is NOT hurt @ all

Old 07-15-2018, 02:27 PM

51,240 posts, read 50,519,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassetluv View Post
Yep, I know exactly what you mean. Especially if it's a horror movie or some sort of drama involving violence. At the beginning of the movie they'll show a family pet or some other animal, and you just know that the animal is going to meet a rather grisly demise before the end of the film.

Think "Basic Instinct" (bunny scene) or "The Thing" (the dog who is infected by the alien) as a couple of examples.

One movie that didn't do this was "Alien" when Mr. Jones (the cat) is sitting in his pet carrier, completely vulnerable, and the alien shows up. I was sure that was the end of Jonesy; thank goodness they decided not to have him meet a grisly demise. (Thank you Ripley! )
That was "Fatal Attraction".

Old 07-15-2018, 02:28 PM

51,240 posts, read 50,519,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Am I the only who cringes every time I'm watching a new movie and I see a dog or a cat - last night it was a chicken. And I cringe, because I'm sure before the movie is over, something terrible will have happened to the animal. Last night it was the chicken, the night before a golden retriever. WTH, can't they ever make a movie and NOT harm the animals?
I know what you mean. They show the animal, and you just know something bad will happen to it.

I had read The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo before I saw the movie, so I knew what was going to happen to the cat, but it didn't make watching it any easier. I told myself in advance they'd be using a prop.

On the other hand, in A Time To Kill, the dog dies in the book but survives (unrealistically) in the movie.

Old 07-15-2018, 05:14 PM

3,131 posts, read 1,085,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Perhaps it's the types of movies and shows that you're watching? I honestly haven't had this problem.
I agree with hertfordshire. Most of the movies I see don't seem to feature animal death or violence. Although with the exception of this movie that I've seen recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-hVS4R-b9Q

Old 07-17-2018, 04:24 PM

2,685 posts, read 963,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I know what you mean. They show the animal, and you just know something bad will happen to it.

I had read The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo before I saw the movie, so I knew what was going to happen to the cat, but it didn't make watching it any easier. I told myself in advance they'd be using a prop.

On the other hand, in A Time To Kill, the dog dies in the book but survives (unrealistically) in the movie.
I'd rather be mad at that inaccuracy than see one more dead animal prop. I'm so upset by this trend that I'm even more upset so few people seem to have noticed it.

Old 07-17-2018, 05:37 PM

7,988 posts, read 3,874,784 times
It's an unfortunate reality and an inevitable fact of life. Animals die. Yes, even in movies. To pretend they don't is unrealistic. If you don't want to see animals die in movies, then don't watch the kind of movies that might have animals dying. It's no different than if someone said they're tired of seeing people die in movies.

Old 07-18-2018, 12:07 AM

11,033 posts, read 6,574,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I'd rather be mad at that inaccuracy than see one more dead animal prop. I'm so upset by this trend that I'm even more upset so few people seem to have noticed it.
People aren't saying they dont notice it, but rather that it doesn't happen in the movies they watch. I can't think of the last movie I watched where an animal dies... The only one that comes to mind is The Zoo Keeper's Wife, but that was over a year ago.

Old 07-18-2018, 07:12 AM

1,242 posts, read 725,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That was "Fatal Attraction".

Geez, yeah! lol...not sure why I wrote 'Basic Instinct' as I barely even saw that movie - I don't think I even watched the entire thing - but 'Fatal Attraction' is one I've seen a couple of times (thought if I skipped the bunny scene the second time around, I'd be okay, as I liked the movie itself...but nope...I can't watch it any more...I'm a big bunny lover).

Thanks for pointing out my movie faux pas.

Last edited by bassetluv; 07-18-2018 at 07:20 AM..

Old 07-18-2018, 07:20 AM

1,242 posts, read 725,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
It's an unfortunate reality and an inevitable fact of life. Animals die. Yes, even in movies. To pretend they don't is unrealistic. If you don't want to see animals die in movies, then don't watch the kind of movies that might have animals dying. It's no different than if someone said they're tired of seeing people die in movies.
I think for some people, animals tend to be viewed as helpless and innocent, esp. pets, kind of like children because they are so dependent upon the people around them for their survival. That's why it can be so hard to see an animal's demise in a movie plot.

There was a movie running on tv here the other night that I hadn't seen before, though it's an older one: John Wick. Early on in the movie we're introduced to the world's cutest beagle puppy, Daisy. But within the first part of the movie the puppy meets a violent end...and I had to turn it off. I found it extremely disturbing (which, of course, was the director's intent) and even though it's fiction, that sort of scene tends to haunt me. Nope, I'll skip things like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or