U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2018, 06:19 AM

9,130 posts, read 3,944,191 times

Advertisements

I won't go see movies about animals unless I know there is a happy ending like in Homeward Bound. I remember reading the book Black Beauty as a child and crying for the poor horse. Even though it had a good ending it was torture getting to that part. Bambi ingrained my dislike for hunters which I never got over.

The saddest movie I ever watched was Hatchi - A Dog's Tale. Based on a true story it had me in tears for days.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 05:09 AM

714 posts, read 330,427 times
Like most things, I'm not sure one can generalize reliably. Can't say I enjoy seeing animal death or injury, though. I doubt most people do, which is why some TV show and film makers include it -- shock value, "pushing the envelope."

Am I the only person who doesn't enjoy seeing wholesale wanton or gratuitous property destruction? I hate Laurel and Hardy films and movies like "The Blues Brothers," for two examples, for precisely this reason. I find them profoundly unfunny and unpleasant to watch. Again, it's the shock value or "pushing the envelope" thing going on.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:42 AM

2,711 posts, read 970,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
Like most things, I'm not sure one can generalize reliably. Can't say I enjoy seeing animal death or injury, though. I doubt most people do, which is why some TV show and film makers include it -- shock value, "pushing the envelope."

Am I the only person who doesn't enjoy seeing wholesale wanton or gratuitous property destruction? I hate Laurel and Hardy films and movies like "The Blues Brothers," for two examples, for precisely this reason. I find them profoundly unfunny and unpleasant to watch. Again, it's the shock value or "pushing the envelope" thing going on.
I do share that to a certain extent. Like rock musicians smashing expensive guitars that some people will never be able to own in the first place. Or even HGTV, ripping out all those perfectly good kitchens because they're not up to date.

The reason I started the thread was that there's a big leap from an object to an animal and it seemed so pervasive and I couldn't stand the idea of how disposable animal life seemed to be to crappy movie makers. It's also de-sensitizing after a while and so much animal and child abuse happens that the more I saw it used as shock value, the less I could stand it.

Someone asked about the kind of movies I watch and the last movie was called An American Fable, but the second I saw that chicken I knew it was going to be a victim. It's like being the third Star Trek character going down to the planet, or "the black guy."

Old 07-30-2018, 03:22 PM

714 posts, read 330,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I do share that to a certain extent. Like rock musicians smashing expensive guitars that some people will never be able to own in the first place. Or even HGTV, ripping out all those perfectly good kitchens because they're not up to date.

The reason I started the thread was that there's a big leap from an object to an animal and it seemed so pervasive and I couldn't stand the idea of how disposable animal life seemed to be to crappy movie makers. It's also de-sensitizing after a while and so much animal and child abuse happens that the more I saw it used as shock value, the less I could stand it.

Someone asked about the kind of movies I watch and the last movie was called An American Fable, but the second I saw that chicken I knew it was going to be a victim. It's like being the third Star Trek character going down to the planet, or "the black guy."
Fair point to make. However, they do go out of their way to say in films that “no animal was harmed...” And whatever the plot may dictate, the dog/cat/chicken/whatever wasn’t actually injured.

Wrecking property is sometimes the same circumstance (having someone hit over the head with a sugar glass bottle or having a prop auto shell wrecked, for instance). But that’s unfortunately not always the case (sometimes real autos are wrecked, or large quantities of food are wasted in a world where people go hungry). I don’t find such things entertaining or amusing.

Voting with your feet or remote shutoff is always an option, and I sometimes do just that.

Old 07-30-2018, 06:51 PM

11,645 posts, read 5,492,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
https://www.doesthedogdie.com

This website will tell you if a dog (or animal) dies in the movie if you want to research before you go see it.
That's pretty cool.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:12 PM

11,096 posts, read 6,601,916 times
Quote:
You do know the animals aren't actually being killed, right?

Old 07-31-2018, 03:07 PM

2,711 posts, read 970,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
You do know the animals aren't actually being killed, right?
Of course I do.

But if every other movie you watched had a small child killed in some gruesome way, if you knew the minute you saw a child on screen that they were there to be used for "shock value - if you think about how that would make you feel, that's how I felt the day I started this thread.

Old 07-31-2018, 03:46 PM

51,358 posts, read 50,609,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
This should win a prize for Ending Guaranteed To Make You Cry Every Time.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:52 PM

15,039 posts, read 8,576,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
This should win a prize for Ending Guaranteed To Make You Cry Every Time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOO8TwyVFYI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amR_gAXVkNY

Old 07-31-2018, 08:59 PM

11,096 posts, read 6,601,916 times
Quote:
But if every other movie you watched had a small child killed in some gruesome way, if you knew the minute you saw a child on screen that they were there to be used for "shock value - if you think about how that would make you feel, that's how I felt the day I started this thread.
I would feel like I need to start choosing different movies to watch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or