Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 10:51 AM

6,136 posts, read 4,498,140 times

Advertisements

Am I the only who cringes every time I'm watching a new movie and I see a dog or a cat - last night it was a chicken. And I cringe, because I'm sure before the movie is over, something terrible will have happened to the animal. Last night it was the chicken, the night before a golden retriever. WTH, can't they ever make a movie and NOT harm the animals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2018, 12:55 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,484,437 times
Could you be more specific? I don't think I've ever noticed this.

Old 07-14-2018, 12:57 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,839,154 times
Why do you think this way?

There are very strict laws now protecting animals that are used in tv and movies...hopefully well-enforced.

Many years have passed since animals did not have loud voices on their behalf.

Old 07-14-2018, 01:18 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,986,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Am I the only who cringes every time I'm watching a new movie and I see a dog or a cat - last night it was a chicken. And I cringe, because I'm sure before the movie is over, something terrible will have happened to the animal. Last night it was the chicken, the night before a golden retriever. WTH, can't they ever make a movie and NOT harm the animals?
Are you talking about the depiction of what happens to these animals in the movies... or are you talking about these animals getting harmed in real life?

Like in this scene from the original Jurassic Park, everyone knows that nothing really happened to the bull:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwAOHVBKTwg

Old 07-14-2018, 01:44 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,381,219 times
Quote:
Yep, I know exactly what you mean. Especially if it's a horror movie or some sort of drama involving violence. At the beginning of the movie they'll show a family pet or some other animal, and you just know that the animal is going to meet a rather grisly demise before the end of the film.

Think "Basic Instinct" (bunny scene) or "The Thing" (the dog who is infected by the alien) as a couple of examples.

One movie that didn't do this was "Alien" when Mr. Jones (the cat) is sitting in his pet carrier, completely vulnerable, and the alien shows up. I was sure that was the end of Jonesy; thank goodness they decided not to have him meet a grisly demise. (Thank you Ripley! )

Old 07-14-2018, 02:38 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,839,154 times
Oh....I see now....remembering Gone With the Wind scene....

male servant is after a rooster with an axe...next frame...

a lovely, cooked bird on the table for dinner.

Got it.

Old 07-14-2018, 03:43 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,986,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Oh....I see now....remembering Gone With the Wind scene....

male servant is after a rooster with an axe...next frame...

a lovely, cooked bird on the table for dinner.

Got it.
Eghads! Murder... murder!

Old 07-14-2018, 11:19 PM

6,136 posts, read 4,498,140 times
Yes, that's it.
Last night I saw a movie and the family lived on a farm and the girl had a pet chicken and I thought right off the bat, "Oh, no, please don't let anything happen to the chicken." The more the movie went on and the more you could see her affection for the chicken and the more you could see her brother was a problem, the less I could concentrate on anything but waiting for the poor chicken (in the movie, not in real life) to die. He did.

The night before it was a movie about new neighbors and our main family had the golden retriever and lo and behold he got poisoned.

Watch Netflix, a whole series (Tabula Rasa), the woman has a cat and the cat ends up murdered. This seems to be every movie I see lately. If there's an animal in it, they're there to be killed. It's gotten to be so ordinary a plot line that when I see the pet, I want to stop watching.

Old 07-15-2018, 04:38 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,481,900 times
Quote:
Advice:

Don't watch Apocalypse Now.

Old 07-15-2018, 07:06 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,484,437 times
Quote:
Yes, that's it.
Last night I saw a movie and the family lived on a farm and the girl had a pet chicken and I thought right off the bat, "Oh, no, please don't let anything happen to the chicken." The more the movie went on and the more you could see her affection for the chicken and the more you could see her brother was a problem, the less I could concentrate on anything but waiting for the poor chicken (in the movie, not in real life) to die. He did.

The night before it was a movie about new neighbors and our main family had the golden retriever and lo and behold he got poisoned.

Watch Netflix, a whole series (Tabula Rasa), the woman has a cat and the cat ends up murdered. This seems to be every movie I see lately. If there's an animal in it, they're there to be killed. It's gotten to be so ordinary a plot line that when I see the pet, I want to stop watching.

Perhaps it's the types of movies and shows that you're watching? I honestly haven't had this problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies