U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 11:33 AM

1,157 posts, read 843,889 times

Advertisements

You can argue the story is a bit hokey and the final scene of holding the bridge and hope arrives at the very end....but the way it was filmed was a game changer. War movies before all seem a bit corny, but SPR was way ahead of its time as far as filming action sequences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 02:09 PM

1,404 posts, read 728,553 times
The technical aspects like sound editing, how the weapons were handled, how the wounds were depicted, and attention to detail in directing, really raised the bar. There are overall better war movies and TV series, but SPR put you in the WW2 battlefield like nothing before it.

Old 07-15-2018, 02:29 PM

8,234 posts, read 8,515,564 times
I agree that it's an excellent movie, but it's interesting to me that you don't mention the script or acting, which are the elements most people think most crucial to an excellent movie.

I'm not sure if "we" have lost our touch for making movies of this caliber, but clearly audiences don't much care.

Old 07-15-2018, 04:57 PM

2,941 posts, read 1,439,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I agree that it's an excellent movie, but it's interesting to me that you don't mention the script or acting, which are the elements most people think most crucial to an excellent movie.

I'm not sure if "we" have lost our touch for making movies of this caliber, but clearly audiences don't much care.
I'm no movie critic but I feel that attention to detail is more important than the script. Would critics have looked at the scripts for Avatar and Titanic and said "World Class Blockbuster for sure!"

Hanks was the only really huge role and he did a great job. For what they get paid, I have a right to expect that. Kind of like an NFL quarterback completing a pass. Shouldn't we more or less expect that?

It is the attention to detail that makes this movie shine.

For those who sometimes enjoy the intensity of combat, I feel this is another great classic: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2119532/?ref_=nm_flmg_dr_2

Old 07-16-2018, 09:10 AM

6,316 posts, read 3,493,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
I'm no movie critic but I feel that attention to detail is more important than the script. Would critics have looked at the scripts for Avatar and Titanic and said "World Class Blockbuster for sure!"
But note how little long-term impact both of those movies have had. Very few people watch them much today.

No story = no legs. Films that endure for decades do so because the story is great.

Old 07-16-2018, 05:14 PM

2,941 posts, read 1,439,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
But note how little long-term impact both of those movies have had. Very few people watch them much today.

No story = no legs. Films that endure for decades do so because the story is great.

Speaking of long term impacts, the movies I have watched the most due to their quality and timeliness regarding current events:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_lives_of_others/

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/10012063_ghost_writer?

Old 07-17-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post

I still dont know why Avatar made so much $$$$$. Terrible movie.

Although technically its not a movie, but same genre...Band of Brothers>Saving Private Ryan

Old 07-17-2018, 05:15 PM

326 posts, read 89,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I agree that "Saving Private Ryan" was an amazing movie.

You think about movies such as "Midway" or even the more recent "Pearl Harbor" they are a collection of scenes that try to recreate giant battles with a cast of thousands and it is hit and miss but still tells a pretty good story.

It is amazing that anyone lived through the war.

SPR is a great story that moves along well with interesting characters in a terrible scene trying to do the best they can.

SPR is a movie I can watch again and again, picking it up at any spot in the film.

I think another WW2 period piece that is also worthy is "Fury" but SPR is special.

I agree. I recently bought the new 4K UHD releases for SPR and Fury having not seen either previously. (I was in my early 20's in 1998 and not a huge movie fan then)

Both were good and I really enjoyed them. I think I liked Fury just a bit better though, the end tank scene was amazing.

Both looked great in 4K and sound was phenomenal with the new Dolby Atmos tracks.

Old 07-17-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvsCruisin View Post
I agree. I recently bought the new 4K UHD releases for SPR and Fury having not seen either previously. (I was in my early 20's in 1998 and not a huge movie fan then)

Both were good and I really enjoyed them. I think I liked Fury just a bit better though, the end tank scene was amazing.

Both looked great in 4K and sound was phenomenal with the new Dolby Atmos tracks.
See I liked Fury until the ending.....A single Sherman holding off a Waffen SS Company? Outside of that..great movie!

Old 07-17-2018, 06:46 PM

17,958 posts, read 9,869,523 times
Taking a bit of production values, but producing a better war program, would be Our World War, a BBC television series of three 90-minute episodes.

It is taken from the actual diaries of three British soldiers of WWI.

The first is of a man who is part of a machine gun squad at the very beginning of the war: Full of the expectation of glorious victories manning a battlefield weapon that they thought could not be beaten.

The second is of a member of the crew of an early battletank with the mission of getting to a French battlefield in time for a major set-piece battle.

The third is about an infantryman who has been assigned to the firing squad that will execute a fellow unit member for desertion...while realizing how close he had been to deserting himself.

While done in quite a bit of the "shakeycam" of Saving Private Ryan, and "first person shooter" point of view, it stays very close to realism and touchings into aspects that most people don't think of, like the heat and constant diesel fumes within the tank, the terror of manning the machine gun in a position that can't be abandoned and realizing that it doesn't handle the problem of snipers.

The program also takes a note from Ken Burns' historical documentaries and makes the stories almost documentaries themselves, placing the soldiers into the geographical context of these actual battles.

Extremely good work.

Our World War is available on Netflix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies