Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 06:41 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times

Advertisements

I can't believe that it came out 20 years ago.

Twenty years ago, Tom Hanks’ Capt. John Miller looked up at Matt Damon’s young title character in “Saving Private Ryan” and whispered in a raspy voice, “Earn this.”

'Saving Private Ryan' at 20: How Spielberg's vivid D-Day story changed war movies forever
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 07:42 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,070,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
You can argue the story is a bit hokey and the final scene of holding the bridge and hope arrives at the very end....but the way it was filmed was a game changer. War movies before all seem a bit corny, but SPR was way ahead of its time as far as filming action sequences.
I remember reading that SPR got a lot of it's inspiration from battle scenes, from Platoon (1986) though, but I can't remember where I read that.

Old 07-25-2018, 03:56 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Well, Spielberg also made "Ready Player One."
Every director, no matter how good, fails once in a while.

Sometimes, the failure isn't the movie's fault. It could be a failure for the subject matter, from the mood of the time, from marketing the movie wrong, or dozens of reasons that have nothing to do with the movie itself.

Amistad, the movie Spielberg directed just before Saving Private Ryan, wasn't a big hit. Terminal, another one that starred Tom Hanks, wasn't a hit either. Bridge of Spies, a later movie, wasn't a hit.

All were as good as Saving Private Ryan in their own ways, but they just didn't match the mood of the audience when they were released.

Personally, I found Bridge of Spies to be just as gripping a drama emotionally as Saving Private Ryan. It didn't have the action, but it had the same emotional intensity.

Old 07-25-2018, 06:18 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Well, Spielberg also made "Ready Player One."
Which seemed to have done fairly well.

Box Office: Steven Spielberg's 'Ready Player One' Races Past $300M Global:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme.../#1f707dd72855

Old 07-25-2018, 01:12 PM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
SPR was very good for the realism of battle it depicted. And it did not shy away from showing GIs as viscous in the heat of battle.

My grandfather, who was there, said the plot was not very believable as nobody would sent an elite unit to rescue one guy no matter the family circumstances.

The final battle was gripping, but of course, Spielberg had to insert the ultra-sentimental, final words from Tom Hanks ending. It's what he does.

All in all, pretty good.

As our British friends what they think about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies