Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 07:13 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,964,030 times

Advertisements

So I re-watched this movie yesterday. Constantly marveled at the sheer quality of most elements of the movie. Especially the music, sound effects, scenery, and gritty, realistic feel. Winner of five Academy Awards. Am I just old and grouchy or have we lost much of our touch for making movies of this caliber?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2018, 07:29 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,462,724 times
I saw this this morning.....So many great films from the 90's including SPR......If the list were from the 00's I dont think it would be very long. I love movies. I love hanging out in the basement watching a film.....I can't say there are many new movies out today that Im always excited to see. I can go on, but I'm 36 and its all just crap these days.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/gal...iYa?li=BBnb2gh

Old 07-14-2018, 09:16 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times
The movie was genuinely excellent, and you can credit Speilberg as much as you can credit the cast. Speilberg has the eye for detail that very few other directors have, most people watching don't even notice the authenticity of his movie sets, he gets all the little details right, and makes everything period specific. Combine that with good writing and acting and its why he is one of the most successful directors of all time.

If you liked SPR, this movie came out the same time and I was equally impressed with it. Also one of my favorite WWII movies along with SPR.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0135706/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Old 07-15-2018, 06:09 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,849,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
So I re-watched this movie yesterday. Constantly marveled at the sheer quality of most elements of the movie. Especially the music, sound effects, scenery, and gritty, realistic feel. Winner of five Academy Awards. Am I just old and grouchy or have we lost much of our touch for making movies of this caliber?

Dread the day Spielberg is no longer around....

Old 07-15-2018, 08:47 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,775,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Dread the day Spielberg is no longer around....
Well, Spielberg also made "Ready Player One."

Old 07-15-2018, 08:58 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,141,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Well, Spielberg also made "Ready Player One."
Just because you didn't like it does not make it a bad movie. I rated it excellent.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:59 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,775,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
Just because you didn't like it does not make it a bad movie. I rated it excellent.
Just remember you said that when other people talk about the movies they like.

Old 07-15-2018, 09:26 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,982,834 times
I have to disagree with the OP; I find Saving Private Ryan trite. Yes, the Omaha Beach scenes are great, but the rest of the film is utterly predictable, and the frame is downright dreadful. I suspect the reputation of this movie will fall off a cliff over the next few decades (once the Greatest Generation is gone and WW ll assumes the same level of importance that WW l or the Civil War has to us today).

Old 07-15-2018, 10:00 AM

24,476 posts, read 17,220,223 times
I agree that "Saving Private Ryan" was an amazing movie.

You think about movies such as "Midway" or even the more recent "Pearl Harbor" they are a collection of scenes that try to recreate giant battles with a cast of thousands and it is hit and miss but still tells a pretty good story.

It is amazing that anyone lived through the war.

SPR is a great story that moves along well with interesting characters in a terrible scene trying to do the best they can.

SPR is a movie I can watch again and again, picking it up at any spot in the film.

I think another WW2 period piece that is also worthy is "Fury" but SPR is special.

Old 07-15-2018, 10:31 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,141,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Just remember you said that when other people talk about the movies they like.
What, like a marvel movie thread? You won't see me there - I don't partake. It doesn't bother me one iota that other people like other movies - it's the way of the world. Vote with your wallet.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies