U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 09:44 AM

326 posts, read 88,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
I don't think DVDs are going to be going away any time soon, for the same reason paper books haven't gone away with the rise of the ebook. Physical media allows you to actually own the content instead of merely borrowing it (and people are finding out the hard way that streaming services' catalogs are changing all the time, so there's no guarantee they'll have what you want t watch when you want to watch it).
Exactly this.

I read recently on my favorite AV forum that physical media sales totaled over $4B last year... and most of those are DVDs.

I'm a huge physical media fan. I have the latest 65" LG OLED (far better picture than any LCD) and my collection is well over 100 4k UHD discs and many more 1080p blue rays.

You'll get better picture quality and sound from a disc over a stream and there's no debating it. Streaming has definitely taken off... but physical media is here for a while. DVD has been obsolete for over 10 years but is still a popular format. I do think 4K discs will be the last format... but I don't expect the movie studios to stop milking the cash cow anytime soon.

Oh yeah... most of America doesn't even have what can be considered high speed internet. That being said... the video stores died by the way of Netflix but physical media won't for a while. Lots of people like myself out there buying for themselves. My home theater wall looks like a Movie Gallery.

LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 01:18 PM

6,212 posts, read 1,510,506 times
Quote:
I don't think DVDs are going to be going away any time soon, for the same reason paper books haven't gone away with the rise of the ebook. Physical media allows you to actually own the content instead of merely borrowing it (and people are finding out the hard way that streaming services' catalogs are changing all the time, so there's no guarantee they'll have what you want t watch when you want to watch it).
IF you go back and look at other media in the past, 8 track, cassettes, records to some degree, they each had their life spans, and then they are no longer produced, DVDs are running on borrowed time if history is any indicator. they made money on this too, because people had to buy new media as well as new devices to play the media.

Im not saying physical media will go away completely, there may be something else to take the place of DVDs, just that its strange the same media people were using in high school, (some 25-30 yrs ago), is still around today!

Old 07-17-2018, 01:35 PM

727 posts, read 67,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now
I wonder why it has survived so well in a place like Bend, OR.

'Why are you still here?' Inside the last Blockbuster in America
I called them the other day to say hello..... The guy said they are privatly owned and dont plan on closing..... He said rental sales amoung DVD and Blueray is still quite strong.....

It was nice talking to him,I hadnt talked to a blockbuster in years!

Old 07-17-2018, 01:50 PM

3,410 posts, read 1,963,566 times
The true story of Blockbuster Video is one that will never be told.

Old 07-17-2018, 02:16 PM

11,037 posts, read 6,579,545 times
Quote:
I have digital copies of movies that I own. Netflix or Hulu are not the only ways to watch movies digitally.

Old 07-17-2018, 02:24 PM

10,131 posts, read 16,726,121 times
I don't feel sorry for the demise of Blockbuster, after all, they put my favorite Video Biz out of business many years ago.

Those that miss browsing for DVD's should visit their local libraries. Our library has quite an extensive selection, if not at "Blockbuster level."

Old 07-17-2018, 03:18 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,271,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I don't feel sorry for the demise of Blockbuster, after all, they put my favorite Video Biz out of business many years ago. \
Yeah. My fond memories are for my local "Showtime Video." In the 90's they had a great 5 movies, 5 days, 5 dollars deal --- anything but new releases.

Old 07-17-2018, 04:41 PM

326 posts, read 88,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post

Im not saying physical media will go away completely, there may be something else to take the place of DVDs, just that its strange the same media people were using in high school, (some 25-30 yrs ago), is still around today!
Seems to be every 10 years.

DVD = 1996
1080p Blue Ray = 2006
4K Blue Ray = 2016

As I've said, physical media sales are a $4B a year cash cow for the movie studios... and a lot of that is DVD discs.

I have a handful of leftover DVDs only because they aren't available on Blue Ray. Everything I buy today is 4K whenever possible... paired with my 65" OLED it's a great theater experience.

Physical media isn't going anywhere just yet. Streaming is decent but it's not going to take over the home market. I personally haven't spent a nickel on streaming content which is compressed and lower quality in both audio and video than a physical disc. I buy the discs and cash in the digital code to have a digital copy out of convenience... like for viewing on the iPad while traveling. When at home it's discs on the OLED.

Old 07-17-2018, 08:07 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,270,498 times
Oh, that kind of bb, I was thinking of something else. I forget the store ever existed, its been so long since I stepped foot inside one, at by more than a decade.

If I ever feel nastalgic for disk there's red box for older movies the local library usually has a nice collection.

Old 07-18-2018, 12:21 AM

11,037 posts, read 6,579,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
If I ever feel nastalgic for disk there's red box for older movies the local library usually has a nice collection.
My local library has all the new releases as well. If there is a movie I didnt catch in theaters, I put it on hold at the library, and typically get it within a few weeks of its DVD release.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or