U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 05:50 AM

2,390 posts, read 1,226,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvsCruisin View Post
Exactly this.

I read recently on my favorite AV forum that physical media sales totaled over $4B last year... and most of those are DVDs.

I'm a huge physical media fan. I have the latest 65" LG OLED (far better picture than any LCD) and my collection is well over 100 4k UHD discs and many more 1080p blue rays.

You'll get better picture quality and sound from a disc over a stream and there's no debating it. Streaming has definitely taken off... but physical media is here for a while. DVD has been obsolete for over 10 years but is still a popular format. I do think 4K discs will be the last format... but I don't expect the movie studios to stop milking the cash cow anytime soon.

Oh yeah... most of America doesn't even have what can be considered high speed internet. That being said... the video stores died by the way of Netflix but physical media won't for a while. Lots of people like myself out there buying for themselves. My home theater wall looks like a Movie Gallery.

LOL
People said the same thing about CDs....... DVDs/BlueRay disks are definitely going away. DVDs will fade away soon. BlueRay and other higher quality will take a while, but their fade out is imminent. Everything is moving towards digital. Being able to access everything from your phone, tablet, laptop without the clutter of physical media. Nobody in this younger generation is going to have a stack of 100 DVDs/BlueRay discs that the sift through and load into their player to watch. They will store and access all of their content from their phones/tablets. It will take a little while for streaming to have the same quality, but that is definitely coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 06:54 AM

8,913 posts, read 4,850,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
People said the same thing about CDs....... DVDs/BlueRay disks are definitely going away. DVDs will fade away soon. BlueRay and other higher quality will take a while, but their fade out is imminent. Everything is moving towards digital. Being able to access everything from your phone, tablet, laptop without the clutter of physical media. Nobody in this younger generation is going to have a stack of 100 DVDs/BlueRay discs that the sift through and load into their player to watch. They will store and access all of their content from their phones/tablets. It will take a little while for streaming to have the same quality, but that is definitely coming.
They better not move out to the country, then.

It seems insane that I can be about 10 miles (by the roads not as the crow flies) from a major US interstate and not have high speed internet.....but that is the way it is. If I had not started building a DVD library, for other reasons, in the first decade of this century, I would have suffered a major culture shock about 1.5 years ago and a heck of a melt down.

Will they ever have to go through that? Possibly if the worse scenario of no net neutrality results.

Some people say that if that happens, well, it is back to the Blockbusters and the like. The thing is that it would be really difficult to go back for that infrastructure is massively gone.

In some places and maybe in some situations, it hurts when people find out it is similar to the old joke:

"A traveling salesman stops at a house on a farm. He pushes his way in and before the farmer's wife can stop him, he dumps a bag of dirt and dust on her floor. "Ma'am!," he proclaims, "if our new Whazzo Vacuum Cleaner doesn't remove all of that, I will personally eat it.".

"Here's a spoon," the wife says, "We don't have any electricity.".

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvsCruisin View Post
........You'll get better picture quality and sound from a disc over a stream and there's no debating it. Streaming has definitely taken off... but physical media is here for a while. DVD has been obsolete for over 10 years but is still a popular format. I do think 4K discs will be the last format... but I don't expect the movie studios to stop milking the cash cow anytime soon.

Oh yeah... most of America doesn't even have what can be considered high speed internet. That being said... the video stores died by the way of Netflix but physical media won't for a while. Lots of people like myself out there buying for themselves. My home theater wall looks like a Movie Gallery.

LOL
I wonder how necessary the picture quality is.

Okay, laughing aside, very serious but interesting thing I noticed with yesterday's movie. It was a working copy DVD made from a VHS tape of a 70's flick. Between the analog being made into the digital and then such being displayed on a flat screen, quality was poor. There were things like the dragging of the image, fuzziness, and stoppages as the player tried to catch up.

In the immediate moment, that's not too good. We as people, as humans, however, exist only from second to second for everything else is memory and our mind fills in the lack of quality we may have seen in that second.

Maybe, perhaps, I wonder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
IF you go back and look at other media in the past, 8 track, cassettes, records to some degree, they each had their life spans, and then they are no longer produced, DVDs are running on borrowed time if history is any indicator. they made money on this too, because people had to buy new media as well as new devices to play the media.

Im not saying physical media will go away completely, there may be something else to take the place of DVDs, just that its strange the same media people were using in high school, (some 25-30 yrs ago), is still around today!
Is it so strange?

What really pisses me off is being required to buy the same thing over and over against because the media changes. As such with my current physical media, I am finding ways, techniques to have a stable data base platform.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 07-18-2018 at 07:10 AM..

Old 07-18-2018, 10:30 AM

6,360 posts, read 1,536,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post

Is it so strange?

What really pisses me off is being required to buy the same thing over and over against because the media changes. As such with my current physical media, I am finding ways, techniques to have a stable data base platform.
Well, yes that is strange when you think about it, of course its annoying and costly to always be replacing media and devices to play the new media on...but thats how they make money, they know a certain amount of people will just give in and buy everything new. Video games and systems of the past was a great example, it seemed like every other year a new gaming system was coming out and of course, old games were NOT compatible. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or