U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 07:49 PM

4,971 posts, read 8,467,219 times

Advertisements

This documentary just came out in our area and I knew a little about it b/c of the recent news coverage, however, I had never heard of this before.

I was a young working adult in 1980 but never heard of it. I guess working 3 jobs keep you kind of busy and I missed a lot.

The story did really need to be told but I'd like some comments from those who remember this in more detail (lived in NY during that time?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 11:39 PM

4,971 posts, read 8,467,219 times
Smile No one has seen this?

I found it disturbing, really sad.

Would like to hear the other side.

Old 07-16-2018, 08:26 AM

6,797 posts, read 3,763,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I found it disturbing, really sad.

Would like to hear the other side.
In the 40s, 50s, and early 60s, child psychologists thought that very young infants were essentially 'blank slates" as anything that happened to them during that period of life left no lasting conscious memories. Given that belief, plus the reality that multiple children ARE harder to place than singletons, why not separate any identical infants put up for adoption, place them in homes with differing characteristics, and follow their development? It was a golden opportunity to investigate how much of what we become as adults is due to nature and how much is due to nurture - and since the babies would not remember their siblings, no lasting harm was being done (in the eyes of the researchers of the time).

Of course we know now that very young children ARE affected, sometimes quite strongly, by what happens to them prior to their development of conscious memory, and such an experiment would never be approved today.

As for why the study was never published - the date of release for the files (2066) suggests to me that the researchers' intent was to hold back the data until all the children in the study had died, thus avoiding the issue of potential harm that may come from revealing to an adult that he/she has an identical sibling that he/she had never met. Frankly, I'm not sure what the best approach is for handling the study data at this point (though I'd be inclined to release it).

Old 07-16-2018, 09:42 AM

7,987 posts, read 7,416,750 times
Sounds quite, sad, disturbing and fascinating, I'd like to watch this documentary.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:48 AM

3,714 posts, read 3,369,663 times
20/20 did an hour special on this about 6 months ago.
It was infuriating and I was so depressed after that hour.
Just incredibly bizarre and inhumane.

Old 07-16-2018, 10:04 AM

6,797 posts, read 3,763,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Sounds quite, sad, disturbing and fascinating, I'd like to watch this documentary.
It's definitely a fascinating documentary. Do make a point of catching it if it comes to your area!

Old 07-17-2018, 04:59 PM

2,881 posts, read 1,101,542 times
I used to pass by the Triplets Roumanian Steakhouse all the time and had no idea whatsoever that there was such a story behind it. I haven't seen the movie, but I read a review of it and it seemed quite sad to me, too. If you think I heard anything while their lives were going on, I didn't, not a peep. The first I knew of this story was reading that movie review. It kind of makes my hair stand on end that experiments like this were allowed here in the US.

Likewise, my mother saw an episode of Hoarders and knew of the family because long before I was born my grandfather worked as a doorman (which was a union job then) in a chi chi building on the upper east side and the parents of the guy on Hoarders lived there and were well known and very well-to-do. So my mother was very shocked to see their son on Hoarders being evicted for living like that.

Old 07-18-2018, 06:04 AM

3,935 posts, read 2,113,695 times
Something I just realized about those guys...they were in the movie desperately seeking susan.

Old 07-18-2018, 06:27 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,861,611 times
The documentary is about those three triplets in Desperately Seeking Susan?

Old 07-18-2018, 07:28 AM

3,935 posts, read 2,113,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
The documentary is about those three triplets in Desperately Seeking Susan?
It is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or