U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 07:37 AM

2,751 posts, read 1,367,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star691 View Post
The Revenant(2016). Great movie to have watched in a theater. Spetacular scenery throughout. It also won a few Academy awards.
Yes, The Revenant deserves mention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 08:47 AM

21,296 posts, read 22,498,343 times
I recently saw both RBG and Won't You Be My Neighbor? and left the theater feeling good both times.

Old 07-18-2018, 01:28 PM

10,974 posts, read 13,561,240 times
Gotta go along with those picking Hacksaw Ridge as the most recent for me. Great flick.

Old 07-18-2018, 04:21 PM

1,397 posts, read 716,091 times
Sicario (2015)

Old 07-18-2018, 06:30 PM

4,662 posts, read 7,475,728 times
Honestly?

The last Mission Impossible movie - Rogue Nation.

Looking forward to this weekend's release of Fallout, the latest in the franchise.

Love him or hate him, Tom Cruise continues to work hard to entertain us. He's not always successful in every venture, but our family really enjoys this franchise.

Old 07-18-2018, 06:34 PM

20,876 posts, read 15,113,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
There have been lots of movies over the past few years I liked. A whole lot. But the last one that truly WOWED me?
“Hell or High Water” for me too.

Old 07-18-2018, 06:39 PM

2,696 posts, read 5,120,279 times
It's probably not the type of movie you meant, but I'd characterize Set it Up as a great movie. (Netflix original rom-com with Taye Diggs, Lucy Liu, Glen Powell, and Zoey Deutch.) It was cute and engaging, with some memorial writing moments, and really incredible chemistry between Powell and Deutch, whom I now want to be this generation's version of Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan. (Seriously, they need to star together in more movies.) When the movie ended, I kept thinking about it, because I thought it was so damn charming and happy. I watched it three more times that weekend. So...great movie.

If we're going with more serious fare, I was intensely struck by the short movie, The Silent Child, which won the Oscar in January for Best Live Action Short Film. It's about a little girl who is about 8 who is deaf and non-verbal. Her family all hears and speaks. They act like she's normal, but because she can't participate in their conversations, etc., that means that they basically ignore her. She's on the outside looking in. The mother hires a social worker to help prepare the girl for school, and the social worker starts to teach the girl sign language, which brings her out of her shell. For the first time in her life, she can really interact and participate and be a PART of life instead of just a spectator.
Spoiler
But the mom doesn't want the kid to be "different" (and also, frankly, doesn't want to take the time to learn to sign), so she terminates the social worker's contract, removing the child's only friend and only port of access to the world she inhabits.
It's a wonderful, moving movie that tells a complete story in 20 minutes. It's worth the watch. I highly recommend.

Not sure if documentaries can count here, but a couple months ago I watched Ken Burns' 4-part series on the Dust Bowl. Really, really fantastic. I learned so much and was engaged the whole time. I would recommend it enthusiastically to anyone who enjoys documentaries.

And this past weekend, while a big group of friends gathered to watch the World Cup final, we started talking movies (after the game) and A Single Man was recommended. It's a movie from 2010 starring Colin Firth, Julianne Moore, and Matthew Goode. Firth was nominated for an Oscar. Fantastic, beautiful, artful movie about the human condition and our need to connect with others. I wrote a lengthy review on C-D in 2010 which can be found here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/12914538-post6.html

Old 07-20-2018, 09:54 AM

38 posts, read 8,139 times
Lords of the Ring trilogies.

Old 07-21-2018, 06:28 PM

848 posts, read 429,310 times
I don't know......maybe "Still Alice" or "Lion"

Old 07-21-2018, 06:35 PM

123 posts, read 60,369 times
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
It's Complicated
Passengers
Shutter Island
Fracture
Gattaca
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies