U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 09:55 PM

662 posts, read 2,421,706 times

Advertisements

I've been watching some movies on Netflix that I missed the first time around, and I've seen some really, really good ones lately:

Winter's Bone
In Bruges
Attonement
Brooklyn

I thought Blade Runner 2049 was spectacular, but I know a lot of people will disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2018, 02:34 AM

7,513 posts, read 6,015,039 times
Wonder Woman,
Hell or high water,
Kingsmen
Hateful Eight

are some recent favorites

Old 07-29-2018, 09:06 AM

1,252 posts, read 732,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
How it Ends at Netflix was edge of the seat entertainment for me. Not for most people based on reviews: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/how_it_ends/

I was expecting numbers in the 90s at RT.

I spend way too much time evaluating odds of end of the world scenarios...
Did you like the ending? I loved the movie the entire way through, but found the ending just kind of...left it hanging, and was a bit of a disappointment.

Could be that I've become too 'American-ized' over movies (expecting a wonderful solution / wrap-up of a story, vs many European dark movies).

*Wow, I just looked at the link. 17%? Really? That movie deserved a far higher rating (imo).

Old 07-29-2018, 09:20 AM

1,252 posts, read 732,621 times
Have to admit, 'The Revenant' was mentioned here a couple of times and I just hated that movie. Agreed, the cinematography was outstanding, but I found so much of it over the top, and just too unbelievable, and so violent, that I was amazed to get through to the very end. Will never watch that one again.

There's a lot of movies that qualify as 'wow' factor material for me, but of course I can never think of them when I want to cite some. A few I will list here, off the top of my head:

Jurassic Park
Alien
Everest
The Martian
Jaws
Schindler's List
Dances With Wolves
Rocky

Old 07-29-2018, 05:24 PM

250 posts, read 102,383 times
Wonder Woman.
And I still think it is the best film of 2017, in my opinion.
But that's just me.

Old 07-31-2018, 04:06 AM

14,556 posts, read 11,561,289 times
All the Money in the World..........great performance from Plummer as Paul Getty.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:44 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,451,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassetluv View Post
Did you like the ending? I loved the movie the entire way through, but found the ending just kind of...left it hanging, and was a bit of a disappointment.

Could be that I've become too 'American-ized' over movies (expecting a wonderful solution / wrap-up of a story, vs many European dark movies).

*Wow, I just looked at the link. 17%? Really? That movie deserved a far higher rating (imo).

It is a rare movie where I dread the ending as I did this one. The couple did outrun the pyroclastic blast that threatened to consume them. Considering that a happy ending for a movie about TEOTWAWKI- the end of the world as we know it.

The only thing, that I know of, that would cause a compass to malfunction as depicted is a flipping of the magnetic pole. Many suspect this phenomenon is showing signs of taking place as it does every ~20,000 years as memory serves. There were also signs of a solar flare causing electrical anomalies. But what about the ominous noises?

Something is seriously wrong with the 17% rating. So wrong that I would label it as some type of corruption taking place. Even the worst of movies do much better than that. Though it is entirely possible that the left wing would almost automatically downvote due to the depiction of a gun as a necessary survival item. The left wing may be more compassionate but they seem to suffer from a dreamy disconnect from hard boiled reality at times. Sorry to mention politics, just trying to rationalize some of the scoring.

Old 07-31-2018, 12:19 PM

3,457 posts, read 2,844,035 times
"Interstellar" in 2014 or so, as I recall. Saw it in the huge cinema downtown Seattle at Seattle Center, for the full surround effect: a good move, in that case, due to the sweeping space vistas of the black hole and etc. Also thrilling soundtrack. I planned ahead for a good seat, and was not disappointed.

I do believe that film is Christopher Nolan's masterpiece thus far, and that is saying quite a bit considering such august company as "the Dark Knight" and my personal second favorite, "the Prestige."

"Interstellar" is not so much sci-fi as the power of love, or perhaps an even split. Quite clever, moving, and the first movie I've seen in awhile whereby at the end the audience clapped.

Old 07-31-2018, 04:33 PM

5,118 posts, read 633,854 times
Just saw the old John Wayne movie, "The Shootist", (his last performance), and although I am not a big John Wayne fan, it showed that he had some true acting talent that went way beyond him "just" playing and being The Duke, and Lauren Bacall, James Stewart, and Ron Howard were great in that, too -- what a cast! Here is a TV promo clip -- the official trailer gives too much away, imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtJaDWjlwX8

Old 08-01-2018, 08:11 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,451,344 times
V for Vendetta (2006) is a magical movie in some ways. Exceptionally well made. Brings back memories of how fired up people were during the Bushbarian Reign of Terror before Obama lulled them back to sleep.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/v_for_vendetta/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies