U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2018, 08:45 AM

5,072 posts, read 612,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
The age issue is what prompted my thread about stars we will miss. The golden years for Hollywood stardom are well below 60. Maybe 30-50?

Too bad about his health. He starred in several blockbusters back in the day:
Gladiator - huge hit
Master and Commander - has a certain and notable aura
A Beautiful Mind - showing off his acting chops
Les Miserables - wasn't that about the beginning of his "demise" though?
We BOTH forgot to add "3:10 to Rio". Crowe was absolutely GREAT in that role! I actually think his best acting to date was in that one, although I thought he was also very good in all the ones you listed.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 08:52 AM

6,965 posts, read 10,853,538 times
Looper with Bruce Willis.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:37 AM

15,104 posts, read 19,749,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious.In.California View Post
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Ditto. Finally watched it the other night. Loved it.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:45 AM

6,579 posts, read 5,869,839 times
For me it is ‘Meru’. So intense AND it’s real! I’ve watched it half a dozen times.

Quote:

Mel Gibson has been such a great talent for such a long time. Interesting that he is now often known as the guy who had the drunken tirade one night.

As for Mel Gibson, **** that guy. I’ve gotten really drunk a few times in my life. It’s never led me in to a racist tirade. His Jesus movie was quite anti Semitic as well so it’s not like this was an isolated incident.

Plenty of ****ty people have made good movies. It doesn’t excuse them from being ****ty people.

Old 08-08-2018, 12:56 PM

10,546 posts, read 7,510,802 times
The Color of Money Paul Newman, Tom Cruise, directed by Scorsese

DH & I saw it when it came out 30+ years ago and had not seen it again until this week.
It has aged remarkably well, possibly Scorsese's most visually artistic film ever. Newman reprised his Fast Eddie character from The Hustler, for which he had been nominated for an Oscar, and this time he took home the prize. RIP.

Old 08-08-2018, 04:31 PM

518 posts, read 113,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Ditto. Finally watched it the other night. Loved it.
Curiously, I also watched it Monday night. Did not.

Old 08-08-2018, 04:51 PM

2,946 posts, read 1,440,562 times
Just watched a movie that left me thinking "Wow, that was just wow."

Ghost Rider is a classic in some genre. Not sure what genre. Bit like The Mummy.

Old 08-09-2018, 10:25 AM

460 posts, read 144,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I think it is because he is older AND, apparently, is now very much out of shape. (Which is a shame because I have enjoyed so many of his movies, including "The Good Year", "Gladiator", "Les Miserables", and "Master and Commander".) https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbi...at-disneyland/
I really liked Crowe, in fact, he had always been my celeb crush even though he's like 18 years older than me! He's the opposite of a 'pretty boy' but that's why I liked him - he's unique. All my friends liked Brad Pitt or Matt Damon but they were too pretty for me. I liked Russell Crowe from the moment I first saw him in "LA Confidential" ... it was his voice that got me.

The last movie that I saw him in was "The Nice Guys" with Ryan Gosling. I actually liked the movie but yeah, they had Ryan as the younger, slimmer guy and Crowe as the older, not-as-fit guy.

Quote:
Too bad about his health. He starred in several blockbusters back in the day:
Gladiator - huge hit
Master and Commander - has a certain and notable aura
A Beautiful Mind - showing off his acting chops
Les Miserables - wasn't that about the beginning of his "demise" though?
He was great in all those movies but with Hollywood focusing more on these "manorexia" type guys, he's probably not going to get the types of roles he used to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I think that Jeff Bridges and Russell Crowe have much in common regarding looks, age and talent, but Jeff Bridges has lately made a career out of playing old and grizzled types, whereas Russell Crowe has not. Of course, Bridges is 69 vs. Crowe's 54, but I hope that Crowe will rebound in the way Bridges did. Bridges went through a dry spell, too, when he hit his late 40's, but then starred in such movies as "Seabiscuit", "K-Pax", "True Grit", "Crazy Heart", and "Hell and High Water".
Here is Crowe's filmography and some of his upcoming projects:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000128/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Old 08-09-2018, 11:01 AM

8,086 posts, read 3,909,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious.In.California View Post
He was great in all those movies but with Hollywood focusing more on these "manorexia" type guys, he's probably not going to get the types of roles he used to get.
Hollywood's focus aside, he's not going to get the types of roles he used to get largely because he's let himself go.

Russell Crowe Looks Unrecognizable at First Even in Months

Old 08-09-2018, 12:46 PM

460 posts, read 144,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Hollywood's focus aside, he's not going to get the types of roles he used to get largely because he's let himself go.
I know, I follow him on Twitter.

Obviously we don't know why he let himself go ... was it for an upcoming role or did he come to the realization that Hollywood's focus has shifted to the younger actors so he says screw it, I'm not going to get those lead roles anymore so pft, don't care? Who knows but I wish he'd pull himself out of this rut he's in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies