U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 05:43 AM

14,696 posts, read 11,921,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovarisch View Post
Poignant stories, but they are all still ANECDOTAL. Anyone can come up with an example that does or doesn't prove that smoking causes any disease. Trust the official stats; information is useless without them.
I was reading about Glasgow in the 1800s now it says that when doctors found a case of lung cancer they were quite surprised as there wasnt much of it at all then...other cancers yes but not lung cancer. and the blame goes on smoking.. but with our industrialization at that time too its hard to pinpoint exactly with the fumes and dangerous stuff used in factories here.. although Id go quite high with ciggies.. being the cause...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 02:04 AM

9,306 posts, read 5,099,486 times
Off hand, I would say it is because it is a major turn off.......but it depends.

If I see the players smoking in an adult flick, odds are that not only am I not going to enjoy it but I will skip it completely. On the other hand, I'll watch Commander Straker smoking on Moonbase and think nothing of it.

So I guess it is a balancing act of the various qualities that make the flick. 007 smoking a cigar while waiting to ambush Scaramanga is one thing and probably acceptable without question (never thought about it) but if he was smoking while taking Mary Goodnight to bed, I would probably be very turned off. If, on the other hand, a player is smoking afterwards, such as in "La Cama" (the bed) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0244450...=nm_flmg_dr_12 , it is just taken all in stride.

I guess it comes down to whether or not one could picture themselves in that scene because someone smoking while they are trying to seduce you doesn't seem that appealing.

Old 08-06-2018, 04:00 AM

12,262 posts, read 5,928,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Several characters smoke in 'Shameless'. Lip is a chronic smoker, Fiona just has occasional cigs, and other characters are seen smoking fairly often.

For TV, perhaps a big part of it is difference between regular broadcast and cable shows.
Lots of product placement too. Lip smokes Camels usually, but sometimes Marlboro's. The packages are prominently displayed. (I've been re-watching season 6).

Old 08-06-2018, 12:26 PM

7,950 posts, read 1,985,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Lots of product placement too. Lip smokes Camels usually, but sometimes Marlboro's. The packages are prominently displayed. (I've been re-watching season 6).
RJ Reynolds and Altria pay HUGE money for that placement too!

Many people would be shocked if they found out how much Altria (marlboro) pays for prime retail placement in the stores, go into any store, Marlboro and their other brands always have the top 5 shelves of the cigarette rack.

Old 01-29-2019, 04:05 PM

3,744 posts, read 1,208,951 times
Well it's just that I see movies and TV shows where I think to myself, "this character seems like a smoker... but yet, they are not smoking". So I guess I feel it could add to characters and be true to the characters, and the filmmakers shouldn't be so worried about what the audience thinks, especially if the characters already have other impure flaws, anyway.

Old 01-29-2019, 04:31 PM

2,081 posts, read 3,193,233 times
I'm sure that placements are still very common. The newest SF miniseries I've seen, Altered Carbon, had a character who smoked constantly.
It was a very very minor aspect of his character and could have been ignored with no effect on the storytelling, but probably a big effect on the revenue.

Old 01-29-2019, 04:35 PM

Well one example I can think of, of a character that you think would be a smoker but is not, is the main character on How To Get Away With Murder. She just feels like a smoker to me but the show doesn't have it for her.

Old 01-30-2019, 02:28 AM

25,864 posts, read 23,804,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
You just don't see it anymore, but in real life, a lot of people still do it, so I wonder why the movies and tv shy away from it now. You could say it's because of public health influence, but you see so many characters in movies and TV, drink and do drugs and have unprotected sex, that I wonder if that is the real reason.

What do you think?

I don't see it as being a one answer question as there are many reasons...but defined by the liberal left, it is detrimental to health, and I'm not disputing its not...but, it has been proven that it does cause lung cancers.
Also, the Movie Industry is run by the left, and they feel very strongly about deleting smoking completely from American life and not serving the tobacco industry by using it as a role model in movies. I believe equal to the tough guy or cowboy persona...and they don't want to use it to influence young minds that its a trend. I can't say they are wrong.

Old 01-30-2019, 03:42 AM

I can see that to a certain degree, it's just that characters are doing all this other morally impure things in fiction, so I feel that the writers are kind of double-standard-ish about it... I mean they show unprotected sex, adultry, drinking, drugs, and those things are not healthy for you either; but yet smoking is too much, and I'm thinking really? It's like they are trying to defuse a bomb that's already long gone off, if that makes sense.

Last edited by ironpony; 01-30-2019 at 04:06 AM..

Old 01-30-2019, 06:46 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
3,133 posts, read 4,888,822 times
I think there is too much smoking in series and movies! It is probably because 20/30 years ago it was so much more common and many shows and movies hark back to those times and before.

I drink but do not smoke. I am always amazed at how some of the screen characters remain alive continually drinking and smoking!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or