U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 06:36 PM

2,984 posts, read 973,799 times

Advertisements

One movie that I saw recently that had a lot of indoor smoking was Molly's Game, and was so surprised cause we are talking about indoor smoking in New York City!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 10:12 PM

11,631 posts, read 5,472,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Oh okay, I guess I just feel that smoking adds mood and atmosphere, particularly in crime movies and shows, so I thought it would add.
They do still show it a lot in crime movies. TV, not so much. At least not regular network broadcasting. Like Chicago PD. Totally unrealistic that no one smokes. People in high pressure jobs like that do more often, even nowadays. And cops are usually not very educated and don't make a lot of money, another demographic that smokes more. Which I don't actually understand since it's so expensive.

Old 07-22-2018, 10:20 PM

2,984 posts, read 973,799 times
I thought cops would have to be pretty intelligent though since they have to memorize all the codes, and all those laws, and amendments and procedure.

What movies show this in crime movies since like The Departed (2006), cause I can't recall seeing any since.

Old 07-22-2018, 10:27 PM

11,631 posts, read 5,472,061 times
I can't name any. I just notice when people smoke in movies and lots of criminals and cops and detectives do in movies. This is the only one I can name. It's from 2009, but it's memorable to me because I had never heard of it. Was a total surprise to find what I thought was such a gem on Prime:

When I could see how it was going to work out I was like what? No, this is impossible. No one is that smart and lucky! But to me it was a lot of fun. And who better than Cage to play such a role?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OblPKObX6Q

Old 07-23-2018, 12:56 AM

2,091 posts, read 795,490 times
Quote:
You just don't see it anymore, but in real life, a lot of people still do it, so I wonder why the movies and tv shy away from it now. You could say it's because of public health influence, but you see so many characters in movies and TV, drink and do drugs and have unprotected sex, that I wonder if that is the real reason.

What do you think?

There is huge discrimination against smokers today.

Old 07-23-2018, 01:00 AM

14,513 posts, read 11,495,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Pity it didnt happen long ago when it was the poor passive smokers who had to suffer and no one would listen..

Old 07-23-2018, 10:21 AM

6,237 posts, read 1,510,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Being homosexual has never really been illegal, unless you count the old sodomy laws in some states (which don't even apply to all gay people). And considering they DO make up a certain percentage of our population, it's good that they're finally being represented too imo. I mean, one would think nobody but straight white Christians existed before 1960ish.
Sodomy laws still exist in my state, I just saw over the weekend, some guy was charged with this, among other sexual related crimes.

Regarding this kind of thing in the movies and TV, not that long ago no tv network or movie studio would portray homosexuality or even interracial relationships, in a positive light, it was only after years of desensitization did this change, but its important to keep in mind, this took awhile to change public opinion of it.

Old 07-23-2018, 10:29 AM

6,237 posts, read 1,510,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Im not sure about that...think about it, anyone 18 and older can go to almost any store and buy as much tobacco as they like, every day if they want to. There are few restrictions on access, age is the only one I can think of, even if someone is on oxygen and has to carry a tank around, they can still buy as much tobacco as they like from any store, no one would be calling police on them or even think to do that.

Another thing is how well the tobacco companies are doing, anyone can google their stock price history and see the industry is doing fantastic, they are thriving right now!

If there was that much discrimination against tobacco, I think we would see the tobacco companies barely staying afloat, or threatening bankruptcy, stores wouldnt sell them anymore, or not as many stores.

Old 07-23-2018, 10:34 AM

25,456 posts, read 23,285,366 times
Quote:
You just don't see it anymore, but in real life, a lot of people still do it, so I wonder why the movies and tv shy away from it now. You could say it's because of public health influence, but you see so many characters in movies and TV, drink and do drugs and have unprotected sex, that I wonder if that is the real reason.

What do you think?
because for many years the left has been trying to completely do away with smoking...and Hollywood is more or less owned by the left, therefore, no smoking in any kind of show, movies, ads, etc....they refuse to promote it....

smoking isn't good for anyone, but the lengths that they've gone to is crazy....

they only care about their rights, and not the rights of others....

I refuse, and never will believe that 2nd hand smoke can cause cancer, unless your penned up with it, day in and day out....but to smell it on a beach, in public, from the car in front of you, no sir, it doesn't cause cancer.

Old 07-23-2018, 01:38 PM

803 posts, read 655,506 times
Please share the scientific study links on which you base your claim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or