U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 03:08 PM

2,084 posts, read 794,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Im not sure about that...think about it, anyone 18 and older can go to almost any store and buy as much tobacco as they like, every day if they want to. There are few restrictions on access, age is the only one I can think of, even if someone is on oxygen and has to carry a tank around, they can still buy as much tobacco as they like from any store, no one would be calling police on them or even think to do that.

Another thing is how well the tobacco companies are doing, anyone can google their stock price history and see the industry is doing fantastic, they are thriving right now!

If there was that much discrimination against tobacco, I think we would see the tobacco companies barely staying afloat, or threatening bankruptcy, stores wouldnt sell them anymore, or not as many stores.
I was going to refrain from making a bigger deal out of it than just typing out a one sentence reply to the OP. But now Pandora is opened. And we are going off on a tangent.
I live in Canada. I pay $108.00 for 8 pack carton of 25 and smoke 4 cartons per month. The cost has gone up every few months since 2010 when I paid $68.00 per carton. You can only buy cigarettes at corner stores now. It's illegal to smoke in public, in bars, restaurants, airports, and are banned from smoking at sporting events, concerts, any public gathering. People have called me smelly, disgusting, and stupid. Every pack of cigarettes has a gross picture of someone with tongue cancer, or rotten teeth etc.
The whole campaign is predicated on making it too expensive for kids to smoke. Kids pool their money together to buy just about anything they want - cigarettes, booze, drugs. And today their allowances are quite large compared to what I worked for in my teen years (1960s). I have nieces and nephews who wouldn't even think of smoking so I believe raising prices is not a factor in prevention but it is a government cash cow.
The tobacco companies are not the ones suffering. It's the user. The so-called sin tax/surtax on cigarettes is about 60%. That's what the government makes on tobacco sales.
I started smoking at 13 years old when I would often find packages left behind by customers at the bowling alley I worked at. That's 50 years ago. I really hate smoking but the thought of running out of cigarettes puts me into a frenzy.
I've tried to quit a hundred times. Patches, gum, spray, medication, cold turkey, hypnosis.
But the government is finally going to get me. Once I turn 65 I will barely be able to pay for the necessities of life let alone cigarettes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 09:34 AM

6,212 posts, read 1,505,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
I was going to refrain from making a bigger deal out of it than just typing out a one sentence reply to the OP. But now Pandora is opened. And we are going off on a tangent.
I live in Canada. I pay $108.00 for 8 pack carton of 25 and smoke 4 cartons per month. The cost has gone up every few months since 2010 when I paid $68.00 per carton. You can only buy cigarettes at corner stores now. It's illegal to smoke in public, in bars, restaurants, airports, and are banned from smoking at sporting events, concerts, any public gathering. People have called me smelly, disgusting, and stupid. Every pack of cigarettes has a gross picture of someone with tongue cancer, or rotten teeth etc.
The whole campaign is predicated on making it too expensive for kids to smoke. Kids pool their money together to buy just about anything they want - cigarettes, booze, drugs. And today their allowances are quite large compared to what I worked for in my teen years (1960s). I have nieces and nephews who wouldn't even think of smoking so I believe raising prices is not a factor in prevention but it is a government cash cow.
The tobacco companies are not the ones suffering. It's the user. The so-called sin tax/surtax on cigarettes is about 60%. That's what the government makes on tobacco sales.
I started smoking at 13 years old when I would often find packages left behind by customers at the bowling alley I worked at. That's 50 years ago. I really hate smoking but the thought of running out of cigarettes puts me into a frenzy.
I've tried to quit a hundred times. Patches, gum, spray, medication, cold turkey, hypnosis.
But the government is finally going to get me. Once I turn 65 I will barely be able to pay for the necessities of life let alone cigarettes.
Its very strange to me that the tobacco companies are not legally challenging any of these bans...what industry would be totally fine with Govt coming in and regulating where your customers can use your product, or making them illegal to use basically everywhere? Doesnt make sense, if Govts are getting that much from the sin taxes, then the tobacco industry should have tremendous pull/ influence over policy.

Something is fishy about how many people are smoking or start smoking too, if its true that the cost is keeping many young people from starting and/or causing others to stay away from them, why are the tobacco companies doing so well financially then? According to the figures, the tobacco companies should be barely hanging on, or close to bankruptcy...but they are not.

Old 07-24-2018, 01:45 PM

2,084 posts, read 794,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tovarisch View Post
Ironpony, the harm that smoking does to others is direct and provable. Drinking and unprotected sex MIGHT have unpleasant consequences, but often does not.
Drinking is a serious health problem.

Old 07-24-2018, 04:26 PM

2,979 posts, read 970,099 times
I guess it depends on what parts of your country. I worked a mining job for two years, and so many smoked in that job, and only two of us were non-smokers, including myself. Just two!

Which I thought was strange since I thought that miners would want to breath clean air when they could.

I don't advocate smoking of course. I just think it can add tone and atmosphere and movies with actors smoking the fake ones of course.

Old 07-24-2018, 04:51 PM

803 posts, read 655,062 times
The idea that it adds tone and atmosphere, though, means that you've accepted, at least on some level, the Madison Ave. image of smoking as "cool." Worth thinking about that.

Old 07-24-2018, 06:41 PM

11,625 posts, read 5,472,061 times
I thought about 'Homeland'. The Iranian bad guy chain smokes. The CIA bad lady double agent smokes. Only one good character smokes, the German agent lady. I think smoking is more accepted still in Europe.

Old 07-24-2018, 06:42 PM

11,625 posts, read 5,472,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tovarisch View Post
The idea that it adds tone and atmosphere, though, means that you've accepted, at least on some level, the Madison Ave. image of smoking as "cool." Worth thinking about that.
I think it adds realism because IRL quite a few people still smoke.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:36 PM

28,185 posts, read 43,469,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Im not sure about that...think about it, anyone 18 and older can go to almost any store and buy as much tobacco as they like, every day if they want to.
The smoking age is actually 21 now in California, which is a bit ridiculous in my opinion... but I also think the drinking age (also 21) is too old, and that it should all be 18-19. What does it say if we trust 18 year-olds to vote for our leaders and fight/die for our country, but not to drink and smoke "responsibly?"

Old 07-24-2018, 09:50 PM

28,185 posts, read 43,469,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
If you already have asthma, it can trigger an attack. I was just diagnosed with a lung condition (unrelated to smoking) and I was warned to stay away from any type of vapor/smoke. We don't all walk around wearing signs saying "I have asthma." According to my pulmonologist we don't really know the consequences of years of casual exposure to second hand smoke. People of my generation who were nonsmokers and lived with nonsmokers were exposed to it for years. The tobacco industry had a lot of influence, but laws have been tightening up for years. There are very few public and private places that allow smoking any more in my city. Yet, I did cite several television shows where it is depicted.
Note: I never said it wasn't harmful, and of course if you have asthma it could be an issue with only one exposure. I was only responding to the poster who said drinking and sex weren't "as dangerous," when that isn't really true. For MOST people it's not a big deal if you walk past a smoker outside, as it would take more constant and confined exposure to cause any real health issues. Even for an asthmatic, you're not going to get anything like cancer from the occasional second-hand smoke exposure.

Old 07-25-2018, 12:32 PM

25,455 posts, read 23,285,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Note: I never said it wasn't harmful, and of course if you have asthma it could be an issue with only one exposure. I was only responding to the poster who said drinking and sex weren't "as dangerous," when that isn't really true. For MOST people it's not a big deal if you walk past a smoker outside, as it would take more constant and confined exposure to cause any real health issues. Even for an asthmatic, you're not going to get anything like cancer from the occasional second-hand smoke exposure.
I'm wondering when the news media will start their studies show against Pot smoking and 2nd hand pot smokers? It will start you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or