Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 07:41 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
well actually I am all for laws against speeding but most everyone does it anyway, don't they...risking the lives of so many others?

2nd hand smoke doesn't cause cancers.....and yes, smoking isn't good for you, I've said that, however, not to the extent that they would have you fear it....and that is up to us and them, our decision. I'm actually glad they've stopped it in restaurants, and inside buildings. I've lost friends to lung cancers, my mother had a lung disease, and none of them ever smoked....
Second hand smoke does cause cancer. Also asthma and COPD.

Google is your friend.

“Secondhand smoke causes lung cancer in adults who have never smoked. Nonsmokers who are exposed to secondhand smoke at home or at work increase their risk of developing lung cancer by 20–30%. Secondhand smoke causes more than 7,300 lung cancer deaths among U.S. nonsmokers each year.”

https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_sta...ects/index.htm

Old 07-26-2018, 07:41 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
please read more and get a grip.... many people die from passive smoking.
I have read more, and studied it, and smoked myself for a good part of my life....

you need to realize, how many chemicals your ingesting every single day of your life....

Most homes have radon in them, which is natural and comes up from the ground, your kitchen cabinets and furniture all have Formaldehyde in them, your decks, are loaded with chemicals in the wood to keep bugs from boring into them, and every time it rains, all those chemicals are washing into the ground. Blacktop is loaded with toxins...so is concrete, and every time it rains all those toxins wash into our water tables.
And I haven't even touched base on the chemicals in food and our drinking water.

Oh and anyone who lives near a grave yard, is probably ingesting formaldehyde from their water...

Oh, and how about all the testing with nuclear bombs back in the 40's. They say, no one knows how long those toxins stay in the ground. All the fish now ridden with pollution, in our water ways and seas....
All the landfills, in which toxins are rotting away and washing into our water tables....

Chemicals in nail salons, and in beauty salons....

yeah, I've done my homework, believe me. All the cancers we are experiencing right now, are not coming from cigs....someday, walk into a children's hospital....you'll be shocked as to how many diseases babies and children are ridden with. But hey, you want to blame cigarettes, go right ahead, but there is a much bigger problem out there....that most people refuse to even consider let alone realize.

oh and did you ever get a perm or dye your hair, those chemicals are leaching into your system. It's everywhere and is not from smoking.

Last edited by cremebrulee; 07-26-2018 at 08:08 AM..

Old 07-26-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Second hand smoke does cause cancer. Also asthma and COPD.

Google is your friend.

“Secondhand smoke causes lung cancer in adults who have never smoked. Nonsmokers who are exposed to secondhand smoke at home or at work increase their risk of developing lung cancer by 20–30%. Secondhand smoke causes more than 7,300 lung cancer deaths among U.S. nonsmokers each year.”

https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_sta...ects/index.htm
yeah, that's right google IS your friend....

consider that they've got to blame all these diseases people are getting on something...

Like I said, why don't you walk thru a children's hospital and see how many sick kids are suffering from cancers...and I bet they didn't smoke a day in their lives, nor were they around smokers.

See my post #82 above, and then tell me to google...people need to wake the heck up....

and I don't claim smoking is good for you, by any means, what I'm saying is, cancer and other diseases especially in children, are not caused by smoking.

I'd really love to see these people who write these bogus articles, do a study on how many people have these diseases who never smoked.

2nd hand smoke? Hogwash!

Last edited by cremebrulee; 07-26-2018 at 08:10 AM..

Old 07-26-2018, 08:15 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Quote:
I have read more, and studied it, and smoked myself for a good part of my life....

you need to realize, how many chemicals your ingesting every single day of your life....

Most homes have radon in them, which is natural and comes up from the ground, your kitchen cabinets and furniture all have Formaldehyde in them, your decks, are loaded with chemicals in the wood to keep bugs from boring into them, and every time it rains, all those chemicals are washing into the ground. Blacktop is loaded with toxins...so is concrete, and every time it rains all those toxins wash into our water tables.
And I haven't even touched base on the chemicals in food and our drinking water.

Oh and anyone who lives near a grave yard, is probably ingesting formaldehyde from their water...

Oh, and how about all the testing with nuclear bombs back in the 40's. They say, no one knows how long those toxins stay in the ground. All the fish now ridden with pollution, in our water ways and seas....
All the landfills, in which toxins are rotting away and washing into our water tables....

Chemicals in nail salons, and in beauty salons....

yeah, I've done my homework, believe me. All the cancers we are experiencing right now, are not coming from cigs....someday, walk into a children's hospital....you'll be shocked as to how many diseases babies and children are ridden with. But hey, you want to blame cigarettes, go right ahead, but there is a much bigger problem out there....that most people refuse to even consider let alone realize.
I know well what your talking about as had MCS a chemical illness since I was 17 working in a photo litho with chemicals..it all started with a growth in my right eye which would feel alive if I can explain it right, as if it was moving, doctors gave me drops and creams nothing worked, then I noticed how unwell I was becoming working developing plates for printing machines and using a flare style camera with no protection for my eyes. in fact all I had was rubber gloved for putting the plates in and out of deep narrow baths full of chemicals.... Ive been ill ever since and Im 71 now.. the symptoms of this illness are horrible, too many to go into and theirs no cure.... now I cant be near perfumes, household cleaners.. air fresheners, diesel petrol, turps. anything in fact petro chemical based so yes your right and working in a hairdressers is very hazardous.. my daughters own hairdresser aged 25 is dying on cancer, which type I dont know but its in her brain now and dont know if she is still alive... Its a shame all the different things around us harming us daily.... Im a volunteer support for Allergy UK to talk on the phone and try to help sufferers of MCS. but its really quite hopeless as their looking for cures and none out there . all I can do is tell them all what to avoid and alternative cleaning and personal products to use....even looking at the back of most cleaners, you ll notice formadehyde.. the embalming fluid.. it might not be under that name might be another name but the same thing.... its not needed in dish washing liquid, makeup or face creams but it is in some...along with other hazardous junk we dont need... if its not paraben sulphate and phthalate free dont use it............. https://www.globalhealingcenter.com/.../formaldehyde/ However my mother was a heavy smoker most of her life since 15... a very heavy smoker who worked to smoke if that makes sense.. she stopped ten years before she died as she had heart problems but then died in 99 of lung cancer.. what annoyed me was that I had two kids with asthma and allergies and I would try and tell her and relatives not to smoke in my house but they just laughed saying OH another non smoker as if it was funny. even when I tried to tell her about Jim my eldest sons being so ill with asthma... it didnt register with the smokers at all.. sadly, but she then stopped for her own health....... funny old world isnt it, but I hate smoking , would never allow it in my home now and wish I had never let visitors sit blowing their blue fumes around my children.. rant over hahaha. Ive said it all ...........think. just noticed you mention the graveyard and yes your oh so right too... many people dont realize this, in fact many people dont realize that household stuff like plug in air fresheners, fabric conditioner , bug sprays, and all their toiletries including soap. shampoo makeup are making them ill... not forgetting your hair dyes.. jeezo I could go on here forever.. There are loads of things we can do to clean up our act and get as many chemicals as possible out of our lives.. as once it gets into your liver it stays...

Old 07-26-2018, 08:40 AM

I can't give you another rep so soon, but wanted to say, I'm so sorry for your illness....yes, most people don't even know the truth...or care to know...what bothers me the most, is, I became aware of the lies our media reports, way before Trump.

Wishing you well.

Old 07-26-2018, 09:10 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
yeah, that's right google IS your friend....

consider that they've got to blame all these diseases people are getting on something...

Like I said, why don't you walk thru a children's hospital and see how many sick kids are suffering from cancers...and I bet they didn't smoke a day in their lives, nor were they around smokers.

See my post #82 above, and then tell me to google...people need to wake the heck up....

and I don't claim smoking is good for you, by any means, what I'm saying is, cancer and other diseases especially in children, are not caused by smoking.

I'd really love to see these people who write these bogus articles, do a study on how many people have these diseases who never smoked.

2nd hand smoke? Hogwash!
The link I provided is from the CDC and it is based on research showing exactly what you noted above - the number of people who developed lung cancer and did not smoke.

Old 07-26-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
The link I provided is from the CDC and it is based on research showing exactly what you noted above - the number of people who developed lung cancer and did not smoke.

whoops, so sorry,
I apologize,
so used to people being adverse,
please forgive me.

Old 07-26-2018, 01:50 PM

33,324 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tovarisch View Post
It does do that. It also adds asthma, emphysema, heart disease and lung cancer.
I've never smoked, but my father smoked 4 packs a day, and had had two heart attacks by the time he was my age. He still lived a bit longer than his also chain smoking father. Their lives were definitely cut short by their habit. Two of the three things on my father's death certificate were chronic emphysema and atherosclerosis. My great grandmother (father's father's mother) never smoked nor drank and lived to be 104. She outlived her son, and almost outlived my dad.

Old 07-26-2018, 02:04 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,260,374 times
Poignant stories, but they are all still ANECDOTAL. Anyone can come up with an example that does or doesn't prove that smoking causes any disease. Trust the official stats; information is useless without them.

Old 07-27-2018, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I've never smoked, but my father smoked 4 packs a day, and had had two heart attacks by the time he was my age. He still lived a bit longer than his also chain smoking father. Their lives were definitely cut short by their habit. Two of the three things on my father's death certificate were chronic emphysema and atherosclerosis. My great grandmother (father's father's mother) never smoked nor drank and lived to be 104. She outlived her son, and almost outlived my dad.
and how old was your father when he had the heart attacks. I'm sorry but you cannot contribute that to smoking, there is no way to prove it. Once we reach the age of say 55, we start having minor problems. Look at all the people who don't smoke, work out constantly and run marathons and drop over dead while running a race or working out. I've heard of that happening several times in my life, and it just happened again recently to another person I've known for years worked out and never smoked.

Sure smoking can contribute to all kinds of health problems, but logically and scientifically, the only one that is for certain is lung cancer, and people get lung cancer even when they haven't smoked or have been subjected to 2nd hand smoke.

It depends on our genes...our parents past history, all kinds of things are hereditary, like heart diseases. Anytime after 55 these problems can arise, but we've carried these problems from our parents in our DNA and not from smoking.

My grand father lived to be 107 and never smoked, but he always took a shot glass full of his own home made wine, every night before going to bed, b/c he believed it was good for you.

The lung disease, the emphysema I will go along with, but no one can prove as of yet, that heart disease is caused by smoking. Sometimes old age gets to certain people quicker than other people. Sometimes our bodies just wear out quicker than others....it depends on a lot of things...combined, like did he work around asbestos? Was it in his home? What kind of work did he do? Did he inject a lot of vapors or chemicals on his every day job?

Also, did he drink a lot, which is a contributing factor, not in everyone, but in some, it just depends on the person. Was smoking a contributing factor, I'd be willing to bet it was, but not the reason...in other words, there were possibly many contributing factors that caused this disease in his heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies