Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 03:33 AM

1 posts, read 905 times

Advertisements

the movies are public watchers entertainment Segment, so better to not show smoking. for the real life no wonder whatever you do it is freedom.

Old 07-20-2018, 03:34 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,260,967 times
This thread is an excellent example of people preferring "what they see," and their own perceptions (defined as anecdotal evidence) to facts. Facts rule, folks.

Old 07-20-2018, 04:15 AM

31,902 posts, read 26,954,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
You just don't see it anymore, but in real life, a lot of people still do it, so I wonder why the movies and tv shy away from it now. You could say it's because of public health influence, but you see so many characters in movies and TV, drink and do drugs and have unprotected sex, that I wonder if that is the real reason.

What do you think?
Television: TV stubs out smoking

Film is a mixed bag: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/17/w...-children.html

No national ban or whatever prohibits smoking in films, and whatever reduction that took place say post 1960's was largely of studios, film makers or others involved efforts.

Tobacco smoking in films really only became popular during WWII. Prior to this while yes people did smoke, levels weren't like they were post WWII, and *decent* women didn't do so in public. The war changed all that. In 1930's films or media a woman smoking was seen as "fast" or "daring". You watch all those screwball comedies and you rarely see men much less women smoking.

Cigarettes were handed out like candy to enlisted men and others in armed services. Tobacco companies and some others of course knew about the addictive nature of nicotine, and health affects of smoking, but that all got hushed up. Everything was about the WAR EFFORT, and *supporting our boys....*. Cigarettes were seen as having the ability to clam nerves, relieve tension and stress, deal with hunger pangs, and so forth. Women of course were part of the war effort and military so they got ciggys as well.

Hollywood eager to do its bit for the war began churning out films of all sorts that often featured servicemen, servicewomen and others smoking. There became an allure about smoking that could get past censors. People lit up prior to a romantic moment, as an indication of sexual attraction, and so it went.

Look at this clip from film Gilda (1946); Rita Hayworth literally chain smokes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2nFF93kw3U

Throughout the 1940's into the 1950's and much of the immediate postwar years smoking was heavily advertised and portrayed as glamorous, hip, chic, etc.... But something else was at work.

Just as some predicted scores if not hundreds (or thousands) of service members/military became addicted to smoking. So they kept it up state side, and the thing simply became an accepted part of American culture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-y_N4u0uRQ

You watch films and television from the 1950's, 1960's, and even part of 1970's and everyone smoked. They also drank quite a lot as well.

People smoked at work, on their way home, came through the door and had a drink waiting for dinner. Hubby and wife may even sit down and have a cigarette while dinner was cooking.

At dinner parties, cocktail parties, hospitals, offices, movie theatres, etc.. *EVERYONE* smoked.

When people started paying attention to cancer, coronrary problems and other issues caused by smoking federal government finally (if lamely for a start) finally took some steps; https://tobaccocontrol.bmj.com/content/21/2/87

By the 1970's groups like the American Lung Association were pushing the link of smoking to children being exposed to that behavior. Thus obvious answer was to curb or eliminate things that promoted smoking hence that television ban.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmy_QUSHCqg

Old 07-20-2018, 04:17 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,098,140 times
Because the cost/benefit analysis wasn’t favorable to continue. Smoking was not the default setting; smoking was marketing strategy via “product placement”:

https://publishing.cdlib.org/ucpress...&brand=ucpress

Tip: Chapter 9.

Old 07-20-2018, 05:13 AM

29,513 posts, read 22,636,772 times
Why Is Smoking on Screen Popular Again?

Quote:
A new report by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has found that smoking in movies is back in fashion. According to the study, 41 percent of the U.S. top-grossing movies of 2016 (which account for 96 percent of American ticket sales) showed people interacting with tobacco in some way. Also worth noting: Incidences of tobacco usage in those films have increased 80 percent in just one year. Even more disturbing is the fact that the trend extends to youth-oriented films: Since 2010, tobacco use in PG-13 movies has increased by 43 percent.
Stub it out: Netflix criticised for too many smoking scenes
Quote:

Truth Initiative, a US public health organisation, identified the 14 most popular shows with viewers aged 15-24 across broadcast and cable providers. It found Netflix shows featured a total of 319 “tobacco incidents” (a definition that covers implied use of a tobacco product), with Stranger Things top of the list for 182 scenes featuring cigarettes.

AMC’s The Walking Dead was the next highest, featuring 94 scenes showing tobacco use, according to the research. Other Netflix shows on the list were Orange Is the New Black (45), House of Cards (41), Fuller House (22), and docu-series Making a Murderer (20).

Old 07-20-2018, 05:27 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,483,389 times
Quote:
You just don't see it anymore, but in real life, a lot of people still do it, so I wonder why the movies and tv shy away from it now. You could say it's because of public health influence, but you see so many characters in movies and TV, drink and do drugs and have unprotected sex, that I wonder if that is the real reason.

What do you think?
I notice that there are a lot more zombies, superheroes, wizards, faster-than-light travelers, and giant robots than transform into vehicles in movies and TV than in real life, too.

Weird...

Old 07-20-2018, 06:54 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,124,411 times
Quote:

What do you think?

Cuz it's the scourge of society now. It's the new leprosy. It's verboten. You can do all kinds of things nowadays that are off the charts from what used to be and they'll hand out clean needles to addicts and all but if you smoke.. you're a leper. Might as well be wearing a bell around your neck and a placard saying UNCLEAN. And no.. I don't smoke.. my husband did and it killed him at an early age but it's still ridiculous to me the things they think are ok and the things they can't tolerate.

Old 07-20-2018, 07:12 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,586,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
In the U.S. less than 20% smoke and most of those are older and/or lower income. The prime demographic for movies do not smoke. In films, mostly it's only bad people who smoke.
I deal with reps from the tobacco companies every week...these companies are doing GREAT today!! Their annual profits are always up year after year.

Think about this..tobacco industry produces a product that has NO positive uses, it has been proven to be deadly and dangerous for decades now...and yet they are still able to sell their products in all 50 states, anyone over 18 can buy as much tobacco per day as they like (no limits at all), no new regulations or restrictions on it in many years (not anyone even calling for them either)... this is an industry that has tremendous power and influence!!! (not even the pharma industry is THIS powerful/ influential) Point is if less than 20% of people smoked, I doubt the industry would still be as powerful as it is.

Old 07-20-2018, 07:23 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,260,967 times
And yet the stats and facts speak for themselves. Funny things, facts.

Old 07-20-2018, 12:42 PM

30,336 posts, read 51,925,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
Cuz it's the scourge of society now. It's the new leprosy. It's verboten. You can do all kinds of things nowadays that are off the charts from what used to be and they'll hand out clean needles to addicts and all but if you smoke.. you're a leper. Might as well be wearing a bell around your neck and a placard saying UNCLEAN. And no.. I don't smoke.. my husband did and it killed him at an early age but it's still ridiculous to me the things they think are ok and the things they can't tolerate.
Ain't that the truth! Try living in California, where they act like a tiny puff of smoke 10ft away is going to KILL THEM instantly. And I had to roll my eyes when CVS stopped selling cigarettes to "promote a healthy lifestyle" - yet they still sell candy/junk food, alcohol, and prescription drugs that could kill a horse with one dose. Selective much?

Anyway, I do agree it's less prevalent in movies and shows these days. You really only see a character smoking if it's specific to the plotline/time period, or if they're trying to make them look "bad." Compare that to movies from the '50s-60s, for example, where it was just a normal part of the background activity... even better, watch some old game or talk shows, where the guests and/or hosts would be smoking on live TV! On episodes of the original "Match Game," you can see ashtrays and wafts of smoke coming from certain panel members (like Charles Nelson Reilly and Richard Dawson). You would NEVER see that today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies