Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 09:34 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,066,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovarisch View Post
Poor analogy; cigs cause harm to OTHERS (from second-hand smoke; that's how I got asthma), and junk food only to the eater thereof.
But in my OP though, I did mention how they have no problem showing characters drinking, and having unprotected sex, and that does harm that spreads to others as well. Such as a drunk driving accident, or someone getting an STD... so I just don't see why smoking is so taboo compared to characters being showed doing those other harmful things much more of the time.

Old 07-22-2018, 12:44 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,895,040 times
Smoking isn’t cool or popular, so it isn’t shown as much anymore. Drinking alcohol and having sex is still popular. Most movies and tv are mirrors of our culture, good or bad.

I personally won’t complain since I hate smoking. I’d prefer less gore, graphic sex, and alcoholism as well. There are a decent amount of shows out there that don’t have any of that.

Old 07-22-2018, 03:15 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,260,156 times
Ironpony, the harm that smoking does to others is direct and provable. Drinking and unprotected sex MIGHT have unpleasant consequences, but often does not.

Old 07-22-2018, 04:02 AM

5,110 posts, read 3,066,827 times
Oh okay, I guess I just feel that smoking adds mood and atmosphere, particularly in crime movies and shows, so I thought it would add.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:46 AM

It does do that. It also adds asthma, emphysema, heart disease and lung cancer.

Old 07-22-2018, 12:57 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,575,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Ain't that the truth! Try living in California, where they act like a tiny puff of smoke 10ft away is going to KILL THEM instantly. And I had to roll my eyes when CVS stopped selling cigarettes to "promote a healthy lifestyle" - yet they still sell candy/junk food, alcohol, and prescription drugs that could kill a horse with one dose. Selective much?

Anyway, I do agree it's less prevalent in movies and shows these days. You really only see a character smoking if it's specific to the plotline/time period, or if they're trying to make them look "bad." Compare that to movies from the '50s-60s, for example, where it was just a normal part of the background activity... even better, watch some old game or talk shows, where the guests and/or hosts would be smoking on live TV! On episodes of the original "Match Game," you can see ashtrays and wafts of smoke coming from certain panel members (like Charles Nelson Reilly and Richard Dawson). You would NEVER see that today.
Yes, whats really curious imo, when those prescription opioids started becoming a problem, more ER and ambulance calls due to overdosing or using these drugs, the Govt acted VERY quick to restrict access to these drugs, even going after the doctors and manufacturers, and today its actually very hard to get a doctor to give you a script for an opiate drug!

But with tobacco, it has been proven to be deadly for decades, and yet no one ever attempted to restrict access to it, today, anyone over 18 can go to just about any store and buy as much as they like.

This doesnt make sense, why doesnt the ATF target tobacco like the DEA targets opioids?

Many people will say its all due to money, but thats not true, as plenty of money was being made when opioids were given out like candy....???

Old 07-22-2018, 01:15 PM

30,310 posts, read 51,908,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Its all politics.......were brainwashed by them as now every show has gays in it, men kissing men before the watershed because its all legal now.. ciggies are off the radar for health reasons but as you said its bouncing around in the scuddy in movies and thats ok .. and drug selling or taking is rife... doesnt make sense, personally I hate smoking but how I miss ones like Bette Davis having a good old puff in a movie haha... good post ironpony....
Being homosexual has never really been illegal, unless you count the old sodomy laws in some states (which don't even apply to all gay people). And considering they DO make up a certain percentage of our population, it's good that they're finally being represented too imo. I mean, one would think nobody but straight white Christians existed before 1960ish.

Old 07-22-2018, 01:18 PM

30,310 posts, read 51,908,733 times
Quote:
Ironpony, the harm that smoking does to others is direct and provable. Drinking and unprotected sex MIGHT have unpleasant consequences, but often does not.
Same goes for smoking, though, especially if we're talking about casual/occasional exposure... you won't get asthma or cancer by walking past a smoker on the streets, and even regular exposure doesn't ALWAYS lead to problems. So it's a fair analogy, I think. I'd even wager that more people die from drunk driving-related accidents than secondhand smoke every year, and the consequences are usually much more serious.

Quote:
It does do that. It also adds asthma, emphysema, heart disease and lung cancer.
Um, we're not talking about REAL smoking! These days if a character smokes in a movie or show, they generally use FAKE cigarettes... so you're arguing a whole different topic here, lol.

I guess we should also cancel all crime-related shows, since murder kills people too.

Old 07-22-2018, 01:38 PM

All right, well, you make some good points.

Old 07-22-2018, 05:07 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,688,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Same goes for smoking, though, especially if we're talking about casual/occasional exposure... you won't get asthma or cancer by walking past a smoker on the streets, and even regular exposure doesn't ALWAYS lead to problems. So it's a fair analogy, I think. I'd even wager that more people die from drunk driving-related accidents than secondhand smoke every year, and the consequences are usually much more serious.

Um, we're not talking about REAL smoking! These days if a character smokes in a movie or show, they generally use FAKE cigarettes... so you're arguing a whole different topic here, lol.

I guess we should also cancel all crime-related shows, since murder kills people too.
If you already have asthma, it can trigger an attack. I was just diagnosed with a lung condition (unrelated to smoking) and I was warned to stay away from any type of vapor/smoke. We don't all walk around wearing signs saying "I have asthma." According to my pulmonologist we don't really know the consequences of years of casual exposure to second hand smoke. People of my generation who were nonsmokers and lived with nonsmokers were exposed to it for years. The tobacco industry had a lot of influence, but laws have been tightening up for years. There are very few public and private places that allow smoking any more in my city. Yet, I did cite several television shows where it is depicted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies