U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 08:45 PM

2,997 posts, read 979,852 times

Advertisements

Okay thanks. But I didn't think the movie really included any of the atrocities committed by Japan. Japan wanted to take over a lot of other countries, which is was lead to the nuclear bombings, but I felt that maybe... maybe the movie was being hypocritical, because Japan was pro-invasion of other countries, yet the movie want's to be anti-nuclear weapons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 06:14 AM

15,098 posts, read 19,745,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Okay thanks. But I didn't think the movie really included any of the atrocities committed by Japan. Japan wanted to take over a lot of other countries, which is was lead to the nuclear bombings, but I felt that maybe... maybe the movie was being hypocritical, because Japan was pro-invasion of other countries, yet the movie want's to be anti-nuclear weapons.
You're over-thinking it. Gojira was not an allegory of WWII.

Keep in mind that Japan is the only nation on Earth to have ever suffered a nuclear attack. They experienced the horrors of nuclear fire. If you want a more realistic take on this horror, check out the anime Grave of the Fireflies, which is without a doubt the saddest movie I have ever seen.

Gojira was a metaphor for nuclear horror, that by creating the atom bomb we have unleashed a horror and destruction on the world that we cannot hope to contain. It is an uncontrollable monster. That's it. Pretty simple. Don't try to complicate it looking for allusions to the Bataan Death March or Pearl Harbor or early 20th century Imperialism or Allied Trade Agreements. It's a monster movie. Simplicity is the key.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:01 AM

10,554 posts, read 11,649,542 times
I've had Gojira on vhs then dvd for probably 20 years, a classic. As the above poster stated the movie is a metaphor for nuclear war.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:40 AM

11,025 posts, read 13,648,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
Godzilla was a metaphor for nuclear weapons.

What was Mothra? And the two hot tiny chicks?

Old 07-23-2018, 08:15 PM

500 posts, read 200,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I actually didn't like the original, as I felt that the WWII themes they tried to force in, were just too forced, and that this monster had nothing do with the WWII themes they were going for.

I also didn't think the special effects were that good as Gojira hardly is able to do much, and the people aren't even in the same shots as him cause all they could afford were reaction shots. When Gojira knocks over a truck of soldiers, you can totally tell they were plastic toys!
You have to remember the history of that time. It was not even a decade after Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Japan as a nation was demoralized and devastated by the war, including economically. No one had any money to spend on anything, let alone special effects for movies!

Gojira looks cheap on screen because it was cheap. They did the best they could with what they had to work with at the time.

As the entire nation was recovering from the horrors of atomic warfare at the time, I think the move is a true masterpiece in the genre of horror/science fiction.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:31 AM

15,098 posts, read 19,745,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtuba View Post
Gojira looks cheap on screen because it was cheap. They did the best they could with what they had to work with at the time.
Yup. Not only was it a low-budget movie, but it was made in a country in an era that had no such thing as "special effects departments." They invented what little they had for the movie.

Gojira actually works best by building the sense of dread. The monster is far scarier before we see him. once we see him, it's kinda like JAWS. It's pretty obviously fake.

But given its era, Gojira is still a great movie.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:35 AM

9,677 posts, read 5,674,281 times

Old 07-24-2018, 12:24 PM

18,102 posts, read 16,650,034 times
After watching it I have to agree that it was metaphor for Nuclear war since it is mentioned in the movie numerous times including at the end with its warning that more Godzilla's would come if nuclear testing continued. That said it was a very dark and bleak movie unlike all the other campy Godzilla movies. I was very surprised at that.

Old 07-24-2018, 12:41 PM

10,554 posts, read 11,649,542 times
Now I have the movie music stuck in my head.

Old 07-24-2018, 06:37 PM

2,997 posts, read 979,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
You're over-thinking it. Gojira was not an allegory of WWII.

Keep in mind that Japan is the only nation on Earth to have ever suffered a nuclear attack. They experienced the horrors of nuclear fire. If you want a more realistic take on this horror, check out the anime Grave of the Fireflies, which is without a doubt the saddest movie I have ever seen.

Gojira was a metaphor for nuclear horror, that by creating the atom bomb we have unleashed a horror and destruction on the world that we cannot hope to contain. It is an uncontrollable monster. That's it. Pretty simple. Don't try to complicate it looking for allusions to the Bataan Death March or Pearl Harbor or early 20th century Imperialism or Allied Trade Agreements. It's a monster movie. Simplicity is the key.
I've seen Grave of the Fireflies and really liked that one. I feel that the movie just tries to have it's cake and eat it too, cause it takes these complicated themes, and tries to simplify them in a monster movie, if that makes sense.

It would be like making an anti-drug movie, where a giant monster comes to kill everyone cause everyone is doing drugs or something like that... I dunno...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies