U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 06:39 PM

18,101 posts, read 16,642,288 times

Advertisements

The very 1st Godzilla movie made. Black and white and subtitled. No Raymond Burr here. Currently playing on Comet TV. This is the first time I have ever seen it. It took 50 years to make it to the US. It is nothing like the comic Godzilla movies of later years.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047034/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 06:58 PM

5,599 posts, read 2,437,890 times
The very first Gojira is indeed a classic. It's been available, remastered, on DVD for years.

Old 07-22-2018, 07:51 PM

2,994 posts, read 978,260 times
I actually didn't like the original, as I felt that the WWII themes they tried to force in, were just too forced, and that this monster had nothing do with the WWII themes they were going for.

I also didn't think the special effects were that good as Gojira hardly is able to do much, and the people aren't even in the same shots as him cause all they could afford were reaction shots. When Gojira knocks over a truck of soldiers, you can totally tell they were plastic toys!

Old 07-22-2018, 08:17 PM

5,599 posts, read 2,437,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I actually didn't like the original, as I felt that the WWII themes they tried to force in, were just too forced, and that this monster had nothing do with the WWII themes they were going for.

I also didn't think the special effects were that good as Gojira hardly is able to do much, and the people aren't even in the same shots as him cause all they could afford were reaction shots. When Gojira knocks over a truck of soldiers, you can totally tell they were plastic toys!
Yeah, well consider the decade when it was made. It still holds up pretty well, all things considered.

Godzilla is a metaphor, btw. Keep that in mind.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:19 PM

But I didn't think it was well made for the 50s cause King Kong came out 20 years earlier and the monster effects were much better in that one. I just don't think Godzilla works for a metaphor. A metaphor for what, nuclear experimenting?

Old 07-22-2018, 08:21 PM

3,814 posts, read 2,014,114 times
Quote:
But I didn't think it was well made for the 50s cause King Kong came out 20 years earlier and the monster effects were much better in that one. I just don't think Godzilla works for a metaphor. A metaphor for what, nuclear experimenting?
Godzilla was a metaphor for nuclear weapons.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:24 PM

But I don't think Godzilla makes a good metaphor for nuclear weapons. He's a mutated dinosaur from what it looks like! Even if we the audience are suppose to take him as a metaphor, all the characters in the movie are not going to see it this way, and will just see him as a giant dinosaur. It just feels like a forced metaphor to me, and I felt the writers were hamfisting too much.

The Japanese filmmakers wanted to make him a nuclear metaphor because of the nuclear bombings in Japan, which I understand. But it comes off as really cheesy like they are reaching.

Imagine if the US made a giant monster movie today, and the monster was suppose to be metaphor for 9/11, for example. It would just come off as forced and cheesy and it wouldn't work at all, cause a giant monster, has nothing to do with 9/11.

So that is kind of how I saw Gojira.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:30 PM

Quote:
But I don't think Godzilla makes a good metaphor for nuclear weapons. He's a mutated dinosaur from what it looks like! Even if we the audience are suppose to take him as a metaphor, all the characters in the movie are not going to see it this way, and will just see him as a giant dinosaur. It just feels like a forced metaphor to me, and I felt the writers were hamfisting too much.
Godzilla is a metaphor for the devastation caused by nuclear weapons to Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Godzilla does the same to Japan. He causes destruction and death.

Metaphors are merely comparisons. Of course Godzilla had nothing to do with nuclear bombings. They were comparing his destruction of japan to the destruction nuclear bombings caused. It’s symbolic.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:31 PM

But I feel it's too much of apples and oranges there.

The Japanese filmmakers wanted to make him a nuclear metaphor because of the nuclear bombings in Japan, which I understand. But it comes off as really cheesy like they are reaching.

Imagine if the US made a giant monster movie today, and the monster was suppose to be metaphor for 9/11, for example. It would just come off as forced and cheesy and it wouldn't work at all, cause a giant monster, has nothing to do with 9/11.

So that is kind of how I saw Gojira. It just felt like it was forced, and perhaps in bad taste. I guess I just felt the symbolism was in in bad taste and did not work for me.

What were the filmmakers trying to say anyway? That this monster is similar to the destruction we suffered a few years before the movie was made? Is that all? Or were they trying to say something else about the nuclear bombings, rather than just making a comparison?

Old 07-22-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Honda decided to make his vision come true. He conceived of a giant monster, awakened from the depths of the ocean by the power of these nuclear tests. The monster itself would have enormous strength and would breathe fire while leaving a radioactive trace to contaminate the survivors of its rampage.
Honda called it Gojira―a mixture of the Japanese word for a whale (kujira), and the English word gorilla, which was a clear reference to King Kong. Since the occupation was over in 1952, the censorship was losing its power. That didnít mean the authorities werenít worried about Hondaís script, but since the film would fall into the science fiction genre, they misjudged its allegorical potential.
The result was a truly bleak and disturbing picture. Images of destroyed buildings, homeless people, stretcher bearers carrying dead and wounded together with an unstoppable force of nature in the form of a giant lizard invoked memories of the devastation the country had gone through after a war that began with Japanís surprise attack on Pearl Harbor, in Hawaii and included atrocities committed by Japan.
This is a good explanation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies