Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 08:13 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,065,362 times

Advertisements

Oh okay, thanks, but is beating Fire Birds and Iron Eagle, really that much of an accomplishment for bid budget movies really? Does that make the movie really that special?

That's like saying that Rambo: First Blood Part II is really special because it beats Commando.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 08:23 PM

9,966 posts, read 5,662,928 times
Why bother asking a question if you're just going to hector the people trying to answer it?

Next time let people know what your actual intentions are by phrasing your thread title as an argument instead of a question. That way people won't waste their time and goodwill trying to give you a good-faith answer.

Old 07-25-2018, 08:53 PM

12,380 posts, read 8,128,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Oh okay, thanks, but is beating Fire Birds and Iron Eagle, really that much of an accomplishment for bid budget movies really? Does that make the movie really that special?

That's like saying that Rambo: First Blood Part II is really special because it beats Commando.
It is, we remember Rambo, not as First Blood, but as the first John Rambo appearance to this day while Commando is all but forgotten. Top Gun was the best of its genre and its action scenes have been licensed and reused by other productions long after they should have retired a F-14 and used newer aerial footage.

Old 07-26-2018, 06:19 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,951,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
It is, we remember Rambo, not as First Blood, but as the first John Rambo appearance to this day while Commando is all but forgotten. Top Gun was the best of its genre and its action scenes have been licensed and reused by other productions long after they should have retired a F-14 and used newer aerial footage.

Commando is not forgotten.....just remembered more for its supporting cast and its villain than its leading stars.

First of all, how wrong can you go when the bad guy is doing a Freddy Mercury? Okay, probably pretty far wrong but done in a beautiful way.

Secondly, it is a source for those Alyssa Milano fans. Finally, it was probably the best flick to see James Olson in before he disappeared from the scene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
The flying scenes. I grew up next to an air force base, and there is nothing that gets my heart pumping faster than the sound of a fighter jet.

Especially if it's a BAC Lightning taking off on after burners.....though getting the heart pumping is not quite the expression I would use for those beasts.

Old 07-26-2018, 06:28 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,951,278 times
Quote:
But then again Iron Eagle had access to contemporary Israeli Defense Forces hardware. No flight deck ballet to Kenny Loggins though.

Mmmmmm, Iron Eagle II where the F-4's played MiGs.

The thing is, however, that if one had never seen a MiG before, had been told that it was a brick with enough power on it to make it fly .....................

...................and then came across a never seen before, to them, F-4.............

.................one might then believe that an F-4 is a MiG.

I always got a kick out of that movie, that they could see things that way.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:31 AM

12,380 posts, read 8,128,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Mmmmmm, Iron Eagle II where the F-4's played MiGs.

The thing is, however, that if one had never seen a MiG before, had been told that it was a brick with enough power on it to make it fly .....................

...................and then came across a never seen before, to them, F-4.............

.................one might then believe that an F-4 is a MiG.

I always got a kick out of that movie, that they could see things that way.
There is only so much you could do I just filled in a MIG-29 stand-in instead of F-5 and T-38 aircraft standing in for a super MIG -21 in Top Gun. That switch had been going on since Vietnam. I wonder if they had tentative plans for maybe going to a F-15 for a later Iron Eagle movie but I would bet that the IDF said no to renting out those squadrons. Besides a stand in for a Su-27 would take explaining what it was to the general public mostly know "MIG".

I have seen CGI or more probably model/animation MIG -29 in a telenovela about an Indian Air Force family where the sometime enemy was Pakistani F-16.

Last edited by Taiko; 07-26-2018 at 07:34 AM.. Reason: forgot Top Gun was a super MIG

Old 07-26-2018, 07:58 AM

45,307 posts, read 60,463,888 times
Quote:
There is only so much you could do I just filled in a MIG-29 stand-in instead of F-5 and T-38 aircraft standing in for a super MIG -21 in Top Gun. That switch had been going on since Vietnam. I wonder if they had tentative plans for maybe going to a F-15 for a later Iron Eagle movie but I would bet that the IDF said no to renting out those squadrons. Besides a stand in for a Su-27 would take explaining what it was to the general public mostly know "MIG".

I have seen CGI or more probably model/animation MIG -29 in a telenovela about an Indian Air Force family where the sometime enemy was Pakistani F-16.
To answer a question posed quite awhile ago, the Navy used A4s and T5s (among a variety of other aircraft) as Adversary planes in Top Gun school because their flying and handling characteristics mimicked those of some of the more likely real adversary aircraft.

Old 07-26-2018, 12:51 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,686,329 times
It’s one of the best naval recruitment ads ever created.
And they do explain the enemy perfectly clearly.
Hint: it was released in 1986.

The cinematography is excellent, it features several up and coming actors, the storyline is passable and shirtless volleyball.

What’s not to like?

Old 07-26-2018, 12:57 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,481,253 times
Roger Ebert nailed it.

Quote:
Wouldn't you know, for example, that Maverick's commanding officer at the flying school is the only man who knows what happened to the kid's father in Vietnam? And are we surprised when Maverick's best friend dies in his arms? Is there any suspense as Maverick undergoes his obligatory crisis of conscience, wondering whether he can ever fly again? Movies like "Top Gun" are hard to review because the good parts are so good and the bad parts are so relentless. The dogfights are absolutely the best since Clint Eastwood's electrifying aerial scenes in "Firefox." But look out for the scenes where the people talk to one another.
https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/top-gun-1986

Old 07-26-2018, 01:01 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,686,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
We saw Top Gun recently for the first time because we though we should, and were somewhat disappointed. We had an Is that all? moment. This was followed by watching Officer and a Gentleman, a similar type of movie from the same time period, and we both thought it was better.
The latter is absolutely a better movie but it’s also a much more difficult movie even with the happy ending.
Definitely not a movie I would have taken my kids to see (I did see it in the theater when it was released, yeah, I’m old), whereas I did take my then eleven year old son to see “Top Gun” at his request.

I’ve often thought that “Top Gun” was meant to be a more positive follow-up to “An Officer and a Gentleman.” A less angsty, more rah-rah look at military life as it were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies